- further the understanding of history, especially community history, across Victoria,
- support and promote the role and activities of the RHSV affiliated societies, and
- maintain strong contacts between local societies, RHSV and the wider community.
The HVSG provides practical information to help members of historical societies manage and promote their collections and activities, and encourages active networking between members of historical societies throughout the state. The HVSG also provides advice on the establishment and running of historical societies, and issues such as incorporation, insurance, privacy and copyright.
- increasing membership of societies,
- preparing grant applications,
- publicising your society – newsletters, brochures, booklets, calendars,
- collection management,
- computer cataloguing,
- storage of collection materials,
- display techniques,
- insurance and incorporation,
- local history research on the Internet, and
- website design and maintenance.
If you have any queries relating to the HVSG, please contact us.
The next HVSG Seminar will be held on Saturday 13 May 2017 at the
Kilmore Historical Society
9.15 – 9.45: Registration
10.00 -10.45: Robert Macklin on Hamilton Hume Our Greatest Explorer
10.45 – 11.25: Mark Eccleston on Managing and promoting an understanding of Aboriginal cultural heritage
11.30 – 12.00: Felicity Watson on Citizen advocacy National Trust Australia (Victoria)
12.15 – 12.45 David Langdon on Trove
1.30 – 2.10 Sue Thompson on the importance of digitising collections
2.20 – 3.10 Christine Worthington on managing volunteers
3.10 – 3.30 Panel Discussion
To book: firstname.lastname@example.org