Formed in 1963, the Society holds local history materials including photographs, newspapers, books, journals, manuscripts, maps, oral and family histories. It holds monthly meetings with speakers, and conducts a variety of tours including that of Box Hill Cemetery. Information on tours can be found on the Box Hill Historical Society website.
Suburbs or towns: Box Hill; Bennetswood; Burwood; Mont Albert; Surrey Hills
Catalogue records online:
The aim of the Balwyn Historical Society is to facilitate and promote an interest in the history of Balwyn and nearby areas. Its objectives are to:
- Organise speakers on historical subjects and related community interests
- Publish a regular newsletter
- Encourage historical research
- Collect and organise documents and photographs and make them available for research
- Display historical photographs and documents
- Conduct events and excursions to places of historical interest
- Exchange information and work with other historical societies
Suburbs or towns: Balwyn; Balwyn North; Deepdene; Greythorn
Located Rieschieks Reserve, Victoria St Doncaster, Schramm’s Cottage, historical artefacts and museum display. Orchard machinery display.
Reunite migrants who arrived in Australia from 1947 to 1971.
Camberwell Historical Society Inc. is a Volunteer organization whose purposes are to foster historical interest and knowledge, to compile and keep historical records of the district, to promote the interchange of information among its members by lectures, discussions, excursions and other activities, to facilitate liaison with other history groups in the district and to participate in community projects.
We are affiliated with the Royal Historical Society of Victoria.
The Society holds five general meetings annually, arranges four excursions and produces flyers for forthcoming events.
The Canterbury History Group works to preserve and disseminate material connected with the history of Canterbury and its environs; also to encourages members of the public to participate and share these interests and company.
The Friends of St Kilda Cemetery Inc, have an interest in promoting the conservation and appreciation of the St Kilda Cemetery as a place of remembrance, of historic importance and of natural beauty. We conduct regular tours, research and publish many of the stories that can be told of the many pioneers of the settlement of Melbourne, and who are buried there.
The Port Phillip Pioneers Group (PPPG) was formed in May 1970, as a special interest group of The Genealogical Society of Victoria (GSV).
The original purpose was to bring together members of the GSV who could establish direct lineal descent from Pioneers who settled or were born in the Port Phillip District of the Colony of New South Wales (the present State of Victoria) prior to 1 July 1851.
The Group became a separate Incorporated Association in April 1991 and membership of the GSV is no longer required. Linkage with the GSV is maintained as an inaugural Member Group.
The aims and objectives of PPG are:
- To perpetuate the memory of, and create a greater awareness of, the part played by the Pioneers of early settlement in the area of the present State of Victoria;
- To compile biographical and genealogical data of the Pioneers and their immediate families;
- To preserve written and printed material which illustrates aspects of Pioneer settlement in Victoria.
History Monash Inc is the former Oakleigh & District Historical Society Inc., established in 1961. Our volunteers are dedicated to studying, collecting, preserving, exhibiting and publishing local history within the City of Monash, especially of Oakleigh and surrounding districts.
- Arouse interest in and promote the study and discussion
of the Church, including its antecedent churches;
- Promote the collection and preservation
of historical documents, artifacts and records;
- Publish historical articles and lectures;
- Promote the interchange of historical information
by lectures, readings and discussion;
- Cooperate with other societies interested in
Victorian history, and the history of the Uniting Churches.
The Hawthorn Historical Society was established to foster historical interests, to collect and preserve items of historical interest, to compile a historical record of the district and to work in association with the National Trust (Victoria), Heritage Victoria and Hawthorn Library.