The AVdGS is a non-profit incorporated society established in 2000 to promote the viola da gamba in Australia and New Zealand. We run an annual national workshop and produce a quarterly newsletter.
Macarthur and District Historical Society occupies the former Court House, 31 High Street, Macarthur. Research $10. Archives – minute books, cemetery burial ledgers, photos, maps, some births and marriage records, newspapers, clubs, school and family histories.
The MHSA Victorian Branch welcomes new members and guests and if any of your members are interested in military history they are especially welcome to join us at any time.
We have recently moved to the Oakleigh-Carnegie RSL in Drummond Street, Oakleigh. We meet every fourth Thursday of the month (except December) at 8 pm.
MHHS aims to preserve, document, acquire and interpret the historyof the eastern Hills. MHHS assists individual researchers, schoolsand other groupsto compilelocal history. The Society has a large Archive of informationrelating to the history of the shir.The Mundarring District Museum, opened in 1997, and houses a permanent displayabout people, placesand eventsof historical interest the shire of Mundaring
In 1863 the Newstead Court of Petty Sessions was built to the design of colonial architect John James Clark.
In February 1986 a group of interested people met and formed the Newstead & District Historical Society Inc.
In 1987 the Society applied through the then Shire of Newstead to the Department formerly named Conservation, Forests & Lands for the use of the old courthouse as a venue. The application was successful and since then members have carried out a great deal of work both in restoring and maintaining the building as well as collecting and conserving the history of the area. Our building is unique in that no alterations or additions have been done to it.
Formed in 1993 to preserve the identity of this historic port town in the face of amalgamation. Large collection of documents and photos 1860 onwards. Genealogical database, monthly meetings with speakers, weekly work sessions, busy program of research projects, publishing, exhibitions.
Maintains the oldest house in Romsey – Seymour Cottage. Museum with displays of local interest in former Court House. Collection of local history & family documents.
The Kastellorizian Association of Victoria was established in 1925 to give assistance to the fledgling Greek community of Melbourne who emigrated from the tiny island of Kastellorizo. A Brotherhood was established offering vital social, economic and cultural support and links to its members.
With recent amendments to our Constitution, our primary purpose now is to use our activities and functions as a vehicle to assist those in need in the Kastellorizian and wider Greek Community.
These activities aim to promote among Kastellorizians and their descendents in Victoria, the cultural heritage of Kastellorizo and the integration of its community into the multicultural society of the Australian community. This includes the organisation of social functions to foster continued social interaction between families and friends of Kastellorizo, the promotion of cultural activities by organising lectures, exhibitions, recitals, musical evenings etc and the promotion of academic and/or sporting excellence by awarding prizes and scholarships.
Image: 1928 Kazzie Picnic, a very symbolic, traditional and annual event for the Kastellorizian community.
The Woodend and District Heritage Society operates a local and family history resource centre. The collection is fully indexed and relates to the Old Shire of Newham & Woodend, Ashbourne, Hesket, early Rochford, part Macedon, part Carlsruhe.
Built in 1870, the court house in Forest St was the second court building in Woodend.
It was used for criminal cases until 1964 and for coroner’s court hearings until the 1970s. Now it’s home to the Woodend & District Heritage Society.
You can find us at Woodend’s old court house every Wednesday, from February to November (10am-12.30pm and 1.30pm-4pm).
Established in 1956, the Williamstown Historical Society was established to highlight the diverse activities of the inhabitants of this historic seaport. The collection includes photographs, paintings, artefacts, models and sporting memorabilia.
The purpose of the Williamstown Historical Society and Museum is to preserve the history of Williamstown, Newport and Spotswood for future generations through the collection, discovery, identification, study, understanding, classification, documentation, preservation, exhibition and interpretation of objects and documents of historical significance relating to Williamstown, Newport and Spotswood.
The Museum is a source of knowledge, ideas, stories and memories. It is developed and managed as a community resource to inspire, educate and inform the community and visitors, and to contribute to the conservation of the history and heritage of the district.
The museum is housed in the two-storey heritage listed building at 5 Electra Street, built in 1860 as a Mechanics Institute and Library.
Please note that the Museum is currently closed due to major restoration of the building being undertaken by the Hobsons Bay City Council. We are expecting to hopefully reopen in 2021.
The City of South Perth Historical Society was established in 1989 to stimulate public interest in the history of the district of South Perth, to encourage historical research and publication, and to promote the designation and preservation of historic sites, buildings and stories.
The Society is incorporated.
Collection: Comprises of local historical records, photographs and memorabilia from Balnarring and surrounding district
Services/Activities: Research; copying; meetings; publications; cataloguing; public displays
Open: By appointment
Postal Address: PO Box 183, Balnarring VIC 3926
The C J La Trobe Society Inc. was formed in 2001 to promote understanding and appreciation of the life, work and times of Charles Joseph La Trobe, Victoria’s first Lieutenant-Governor. Initially appointed in 1839 as Superintendent of the Port Phillip District, then a part of New South Wales, he became the first Lieutenant-Governor of the new colony of Victoria after separation in 1851.
The Society celebrates La Trobe’s birthday annually, hosts lectures, special functions and other events throughout the year and distributes the journal, La Trobeana, to its members three times per year. The journal explores different themes in the life and times of La Trobe, aspects of the settlement of Victoria, and other areas of interest to members, and provides information on forthcoming cultural events.
Postal Address – PO Box 65, Port Melbourne, VIC 3207
Please note: private research of our archives is not possible
The Museum is housed in the former Warehouse (c.1860) of contractors Nichol and Wallace.
The redeveloped Nichol and Wallace building, now known as The Warehouse, to reflect it’s 19th century history, reopened in 2014 as a Hub housing the Museum, the Library, the Visitor information Centre, the Hepburn Shire Service Centre as well as event and meeting spaces.
The ASM is a vibrant and modern organisation, boasting a grand tradition. Founded in 1907, it is the oldest Magical Society in the Southern Hemisphere and the fourth oldest in the world. It is the largest club in Melbourne, currently numbering 120 professional, part-time professional and amateur magicians.
The ATA (Australian Timetable Association) is an organisation for anyone interested in the study of transport timetables, schedules, maps and associated literature.