The society was established in 1984 and is dedicated to preserving, collecting and researching the history of Avoca and the surrounding district.
The headquarters of the Society is an historic building at 85 High Street, Avoca, which was the Avoca Court House from 1859 to 1979. It now contains a local history & family history resource centre containing thousands of documents, photographs, maps, microfilm of local newspapers & rate books, artifacts, etc., pertaining to the localities in the Avoca district.
Postal Address PO Box 24 Avoca VIC 3467
Located Rieschieks Reserve, Victoria St Doncaster, Schramm’s Cottage, historical artefacts and museum display. Orchard machinery display.
Worsley Cottage Museum, an 1894 stone cottage, is the home of the society. The collection includes domestic items and artefacts from the era, outdoor displays and a cottage garden. There is also an 1840 slab and daub pioneer hut with wooden shingle roof. Research facilities are also available.
Postal Address – PO Box 265 Maryborough 3465
Hours: Tues/Thurs 10am-12noon & Sun 2pm -4pm
The Society aims to collect, restore and maintain the memorabilia and records of the old gold mining town of Landsborough, founded in 1862 and named in honour of William Landsborough the explorer, the township still contains many reminders of its busy past. These include the 1862 lock-up, the 1901 Mounted Police stables, and a 130 year old school, all of which are cared for by the Historical Group.
Please note: private research of our archives is not possible
The Museum is housed in the former Warehouse (c.1860) of contractors Nichol and Wallace.
The redeveloped Nichol and Wallace building, now known as The Warehouse, to reflect it’s 19th century history, reopened in 2014 as a Hub housing the Museum, the Library, the Visitor information Centre, the Hepburn Shire Service Centre as well as event and meeting spaces.
The Beaufort Historical Society is situated in the former Beaufort Court House, in Livingstone St, next door to the Uniting Church. The society has an extensive collection of family histories, photographs, newspapers, school and cemeteries records, etc.
Suburbs or towns: Beaufort; Chute; Raglan; Trawalla; Shirley; Waterloo; Stockyard Hill; Lake Goldsmith; Nerring; Eurambeen
Postal Address: 9 Livingstone Street, Beaufort VIC 3373
The historical society is dedicated to keep an accurate record of the district since settlement.
In 1863 the Newstead Court of Petty Sessions was built to the design of colonial architect John James Clark.
In February 1986 a group of interested people met and formed the Newstead & District Historical Society Inc.
In 1987 the Society applied through the then Shire of Newstead to the Department formerly named Conservation, Forests & Lands for the use of the old courthouse as a venue. The application was successful and since then members have carried out a great deal of work both in restoring and maintaining the building as well as collecting and conserving the history of the area. Our building is unique in that no alterations or additions have been done to it.
The society is interested in local history which is on display in Langi Morgala Museum which includes mining, railways, church, council business, home life, sport, armed services, transport and agriculture.
We are a combined museum and history centre.
Many thousands of artefacts and records relating to the district from 1840 to present day form the collection which is housed in the former Maldon Market House. The Maldon Market House is listed on the Victorian Heritage Register. The museum has many displays that present a fascinating insight into the history and heritage of the district and the archives provide a valuable research resource.
The Maldon Vintage Machinery & Museum houses a wonderful display of vintage machinery and has evolved into a fabulous museum with artifacts from the region and afield. Items from Gold mining. the industrial Revolution, Fire Fighting, Farming to the Home.
The museum is ran by volunteers and members. We aim to open on the times listed below, but things do pop up from time-to-time. It is best that you give us a call first, particularly if you are travelling some distance to get to us. We can be contacted on 03 5472 2202.
Sundays: 2nd Sunday of the Month 10AM-4PM
Preservation of our mechanical heritage& working old machineryincluding tractors and farm equipment, but not limited to.