Collect, preserve and disseminate information and materials relating to the history of the district.
Meetings held 2nd Monday of each month (except July, Aug and Jan.) Number of district heritage tours conducted. Involved in heritage projects such as signage, booklets and brochures.
The Cohuna and District Historical Society was formed in April 1970, our Society has grown to become a treasured resource for the local community and historians alike. All run by dedicated and enthusiastic volunteers, there are three main parts to our Society:
- Archives Centre (the brick building)
- Museum (the old Scots Church)
- Trash and Treasure (the old Scots Hall)
The Society operates a Museum which is open on Sundays from 2pm to 4pm, and Tuesdays 10 am to 4 pm. Collection and display of historical items of interest and documents, photos, family history.
Research centre for local families, minute books for clubs and associations, local newspapers. Preservation and recovery of local history of families, communities, organizations, schoole etc. within the boundaries of the old Shire of East Loddon.
Tyntyndyer (Tyntynder in modern spelling) homestead is in the Swan Hill irrigation district, 16 km north of Swan Hill in north-west Victoria. The heritage-listed homestead was built in 1846 by Andrew & Peter Beveridge who took up the Tyntyndyer pastoral run. The pastoral run was the first European settlement in the Swan Hill district.
The Tyntyndyer Plains, stretching along the Victorian banks of the mighty Milloo (Murray River) was home to the Watti Watti people for thousands of years. Their homes were built of bark and mud, mia-mias and they farmed the land. Native grass seeds and nardoo were harvested and ground for flour, stubble was burnt and lush regrowth attracted grazing stock – kangaroos and emu. Fish nets were woven from the fibrous roots of reeds and quandong, the native fruit, was harvested and dried. reeds, for spears, and possum skins were traded for green stone, used for axes. Major Mitchell arrived at ‘Matakupa’ in 1836 and named the area Swan Hill. In 1846 the Beveridge brothers travelled from Kilmore by bullock dray and settled on 300 square miles of land. The property retained the name of these rich grass plains and became known as Tyntyndyer Station.
The construction of the homestead, of drop log cabin cabin of Murray Pine, was commenced in that year. Bricked over in 1850, with had made bricks, this has been classified as the first brick veneer in Australia. The homestead was completed in 1854 with a solid brick extension and in 1860 roof iron, brought from Glasgow, was placed over the stringy bark shingles.
The homestead, furnishings, collections and artifacts have all remained intact and now offer an excellent, authentic and fascinating insight into early colonial days.
- Wonderful inventions that remained at Tyntyndyer from the early settlers
- Cellar – filled with an amazing collection of Aboriginal artifacts and curios from indigenous cultures around the world – protected under the custodianship of the Watti Watti people
- Chock log cabin kitchen – floor to ceiling full of bric-a-brac and pioneer memorabilia (1854)
- Enter the schoolhouse and tutor room (1854) and see the assorted collections of sewing samplers, school work and early photographic equipment
- “Tyntyndyer” is the Aboriginal name of the area and means “song of the birds” and true to it’s name the quiet gardens and huge trees which shade the homestead today play host to a variety of beautiful native birds (garden established in the mid 1800s with assistance from Baron Von Mueller)
Aims to conserve, promote and share the heritage of Lockington and district from pre-white settlement to present day.
The object of our Society is to foster historical interest and knowledge, particularly but not exclusively of the Nullawil District, and to compile and record Nullawil’s history. Also to restore and display machinery and photos of the area, and to keep records of schools and townships in the area.
Situated in the recently renovated Old Court House, the Society aims to collect and preserve historical artefacts, documents, photos, family histories, buildings, anecdotes and all items of historical interest to the town and district as well as to give access to all interested people. The Society has a collection of around 1200-1500 photos depicting the town and district.
Suburbs or towns: Wycheproof
HAVE YOU ANY OLD PHOTOS
The Historical Society is always looking for photos of Wycheproof & District at any point in time, Local Events, Farming Practices, Sporting & Local Identities, and Railways.
In 1986 the new Rochester Historical & Pioneer Society was established after amalgamating with the already existing Pioneer Society. The original land and the building known as the Common School built in 1874 was gifted to the Historical Society by Mrs. Ross. The building was classified “C” by the National Trust in 1972.
Our Volunteers can assist you with research into District Families History and our Museum Complex of four buildings is open to the public Open 9 – 12 noon Wednesday & Friday Or by Appointment
Rochester Historical and Pioneer Society is also a recognised Place of Deposit for documents and photographs.
Wedderburn is is located 225 km north west of Bendigo and within the Loddon Shire. We have over 33,000 digitised records in our database covering Wedderburn and surrounding towns within the shire. Our digital records include over 100 audio tapes of past presentations given by locals talking about their early years in the district. Selected records and documents can be copied to a USB memory stick for visitors to take away with them. Further digitizing will continue throughout 2020.