The Bellarine Historical Society’s aim is to preserve the history of the Bellarine. Over the years a dedicated team of volunteers has created a unique research centre that contains rate books, church records, and family histories. It also has a small museum which contains items of local significance. Many photos and personal records provide an insight into a world we have lost.
Postal Address – PO Box 53, Drysdale VIC 3222
Collecting, preserving information and materials about the history of Richmond and Burnley. Conducting research, walks and talks to promote understanding of our heritage.
The Association was formed in 1986.
Our objectives are:
- To promote and foster goodwill among Cornish people and people in Victoria
- To stimulate interest in the History, Family History, Antiquities, Traditions and Social Conditions of Cornwall
- To aid approved Cultural Movements in and associated with Cornwall
- To endeavour to arrange contact between relatives and friends of Cornish people both in Victoria and Cornwall and with other Cornish Associations.
- To further awareness in the Victorian community of the importance of the Cornish emigration in the development of Australia.
- To assist and to encourage in conjunction with State Organizations, Local Government and the National Trust, the restoration and maintenance of buildings/areas of importance to the Cornish Heritage in Australia.
- To be a non-political, non-sectarian, cultural organization.
The East Melbourne Historical Society holds meetings 6 times a year either a talk on subject relevant to the history of East Melbourne, or a visit to a place of local interest. We collect material relevant to the history of East Melbourne, which is available for research by appointment. Newsletter 3 times a year, includes article relevant to the history of East Melbourne, carrying events and news of society.
- Arouse interest in and promote the study and discussion
of the Church, including its antecedent churches;
- Promote the collection and preservation
of historical documents, artifacts and records;
- Publish historical articles and lectures;
- Promote the interchange of historical information
by lectures, readings and discussion;
- Cooperate with other societies interested in
Victorian history, and the history of the Uniting Churches.
The Italian Historical Society was established in 1980 to document, preserve and promote the history of Italian migration and settlement in Australia.
Through the ongoing generous support of the Italian community and the Society’s collecting, research and interpretation activities the Society has developed an extensive collection of significant material which includes: A wide range of images, oral histories, ephemera, documents and objects which relate to all aspects of the Italian migration and settlement story.
Theatre Heritage Australia Inc. is a non-profit organisation established in 1995 to foster knowledge and research into the history of Australian theatre. Our members include theatre professionals, scholars, and enthusiasts dedicated to documenting and sharing Australia’s unique theatre heritage.
History Monash Inc is the former Oakleigh & District Historical Society Inc., established in 1961. Our volunteers are dedicated to studying, collecting, preserving, exhibiting and publishing local history within the City of Monash, especially of Oakleigh and surrounding districts.
Essendon Historical Society is a non-profit organisation committed to documenting, preserving and promoting the history of the City of Moonee Valley which consists of Airport West, Ascot Vale, Avondale Heights, Essendon, Essendon North, Keilor East, Kensington, Moonee Ponds, Niddrie, Strathmore, Strathmore Heights as well as parts of Keilor and Flemington.
The Society was formed in 1970 by a group of residents who recognised the importance of preserving all aspects of local history for the benefit of present and future generations.
Early meetings were held in private homes and, later, in the Moonee Ponds Town Hall. In 1981, after a long battle, the Society obtained the use of the old Moonee Ponds Courthouse as its headquarters.
Essendon Historical Society has retained the use of the 1890 building since that time. With somewhere to display and store items of local historical interest, the community was encouraged to assist in building up various collections of local significance.
*Image Source: Essendon Historical Society Collection
The Port Phillip Pioneers Group (PPPG) was formed in May 1970, as a special interest group of The Genealogical Society of Victoria (GSV).
The original purpose was to bring together members of the GSV who could establish direct lineal descent from Pioneers who settled or were born in the Port Phillip District of the Colony of New South Wales (the present State of Victoria) prior to 1 July 1851.
The Group became a separate Incorporated Association in April 1991 and membership of the GSV is no longer required. Linkage with the GSV is maintained as an inaugural Member Group.
The aims and objectives of PPG are:
- To perpetuate the memory of, and create a greater awareness of, the part played by the Pioneers of early settlement in the area of the present State of Victoria;
- To compile biographical and genealogical data of the Pioneers and their immediate families;
- To preserve written and printed material which illustrates aspects of Pioneer settlement in Victoria.
The Fitzroy History Society caters for anyone interested in the history of the Fitzroy area. Anyone who is interested in joining is welcome. You don’t have to live in the area to be a member of the Society.
Postal Address – PO Box 180 Fitzroy VIC 3065
The Collingwood Historical Society has as its area of interest the former City of Collingwood, that is, the suburbs now known as Abbotsford, Clifton Hill, and Collingwood in Victoria, Australia.
Collingwood Historical Society had its beginnings in the 1970s as a local interest group in the former City of Collingwood. The Society:
- Promotes public awareness of our local history.
- Promotes the conservation of Collingwood’s heritage places.
- Organises events such as talks, displays and history walks.
- Collects historical material relating to Collingwood, Clifton Hill and Abbotsford.
- Records history in the form of photos, oral history tapes, publications, and electronic resources.
Research, record and promote the history and heritage of the Keilor region whilst collecting, preserving, enhancing and enjoying its artefacts and memorabilia. Exhibitions, publications and a digital project is part of our agenda.
The Hawthorn Historical Society was established to foster historical interests, to collect and preserve items of historical interest, to compile a historical record of the district and to work in association with the National Trust (Victoria), Heritage Victoria and Hawthorn Library.
Brunswick Community History Group Inc. is a community-based organisation interested in the history of our local area (Brunswick, Victoria, Australia).
Postal Address – PO Box 8, Brunswick VIC 3056
The object of the Society is to promote the study, collection and preservation of Bacchus Marsh and District’s history, historical places and objects. To promote and support historical research and publication of the same.
Postal Address – PO Box 223, Bacchus Marsh, Victoria, 3340, AUSTRALIA