The Society aims to preserve, promote and present the history of Bendigo and its people.
Suburbs or towns Bendigo; City of Greater Bendigo
In 1986 the new Rochester Historical & Pioneer Society was established after amalgamating with the already existing Pioneer Society. The original land and the building known as the Common School built in 1874 was gifted to the Historical Society by Mrs. Ross. The building was classified “C” by the National Trust in 1972.
Our Volunteers can assist you with research into District Families History and our Museum Complex of four buildings is open to the public Open 9 – 12 noon Wednesday & Friday Or by Appointment
Rochester Historical and Pioneer Society is also a recognised Place of Deposit for documents and photographs.
Worsley Cottage Museum, an 1894 stone cottage, is the home of the society. The collection includes domestic items and artefacts from the era, outdoor displays and a cottage garden. There is also an 1840 slab and daub pioneer hut with wooden shingle roof. Research facilities are also available.
Research centre for local families, minute books for clubs and associations, local newspapers. Preservation and recovery of local history of families, communities, organizations, schoole etc. within the boundaries of the old Shire of East Loddon.
The Daylesford & District Historical Society was formed in 1964 and the Museum established in 1971.
The Museum has approximately 800 square metres of interior displays and approximately 250 square metres of covered yard and houses an large collection of local memorabilia and artefacts.
The museum has extensive archival resources that are accessible by arrangement for research to researchers and genealogists.
Friends of Cornish Hill are a Landcare group. Our connection with RHSV goes back to the day when Cornish Hill Reserve was saved from sale by members of the local community who realised the value of the Reserve as being historically and environmentally significant.
The Friends have been beavering away restoring the Smiths creek corridor to bring it back to what it looked like before mining ravaged the landscape.
Image: Friends of Cornish Hill working bee in June 2018
The Rushworth Historic Society is custodian of the Rushworth Museum, Rushworth, Whroo and district cemetery records, Chronicle Newspaper 1869 – 1977, 1987 – Waranga News
The Woodend and District Heritage Society operates a local and family history resource centre. The collection is fully indexed and relates to the Old Shire of Newham & Woodend, Ashbourne, Hesket, early Rochford, part Macedon, part Carlsruhe.
Built in 1870, the court house in Forest St was the second court building in Woodend.
It was used for criminal cases until 1964 and for coroner’s court hearings until the 1970s. Now it’s home to the Woodend & District Heritage Society.
You can find us at Woodend’s old court house every Wednesday, from February to November (10am-12.30pm and 1.30pm-4pm).
Wedderburn is is located 225 km north west of Bendigo and within the Loddon Shire. We have over 33,000 digitised records in our database covering Wedderburn and surrounding towns within the shire. Our digital records include over 100 audio tapes of past presentations given by locals talking about their early years in the district. Selected records and documents can be copied to a USB memory stick for visitors to take away with them. Further digitizing will continue throughout 2020.
Trentham Historical Society works to preserve, and make available to the public, the history of the township of Trentham and the surrounding district including the settlements of Little Hampton, East Trentham, Spring Hill, Fern Hill and Tylden. The society publishes a quarterly newsletter and booklets from time to time and also holds an annual exhibition.
Maintains the oldest house in Romsey – Seymour Cottage. Museum with displays of local interest in former Court House. Collection of local history & family documents.
Nagambie Historical Society was formed in 1968 for the sole purpose of ‘retaining equipment within the town as some agricultural equipment had already left the district’. The Museum site was developed in 1870 with the construction of the stables to house the Cobb & Co horses, these stables are still standing at the rear of the Old Court House building. The Court House building was formerly the Court of Petty Sessions, Shire Office and Chambers, Post Master General’s Office, and the Registry Office for births, deaths and marriages. Later additions to the site included the first electricity plant for the Nagambie township 1912, with a further extension to this building in 1932 by the SEC. During the early 1970s, the Historical Society erected a large agricultural machinery shed at the rear of the site, and this now houses the James Forbes Museum consisting of a comprehensive range of old farm machinery made at the local foundry. The Museum houses a very large display of memorabilia and research is undertaken upon request. Opening hours are:
1st Saturday 9 am – 12 noon
3rd Sunday 2 pm – 4 pm each month
every Wednesday 9 am – 12 noon. Entry is by gold coin.
The Society operates a Museum which is open on Sundays from 2pm to 4pm, and Tuesdays 10 am to 4 pm. Collection and display of historical items of interest and documents, photos, family history.
Family and local history resource centre, archives and museum, located in the old Avoca Courthouse, which operated as a Court from 1859 to 1979
Keeping track of historical events in Creswick and district. Creswick Historical Museum is housed in the former offices of the Shire of Creswick, a magnificent National Trust classified building of two storeys, with a tower and clock circa 1876. The interior of the building is notable for its classic winding staircase of local Basalt, its balcony, anf the 19th century architectural features. A wide range of printed historical material is available for sale at the museum. The Museum operation is directed to not only providing a comprehensive and fascinating display, but also providing a vast resource of available information to the community at large.
Small historical group and family history group operating museum recording and preserving the history of mainly Broadford district. Includes a family history research group.