Broadford & District Historical Society Inc

​The Broadford and District Historical Society covers the districts of Broadford, Strath Creek, Reedy Creek, Tyaak, Sunday Creek, Glenaroua, Flowerdale, Glenburnie, Dry Creek, Sugarloaf Creek, Clonbinane and Tallarook.

The Society was formed in 1968 with the aim of fostering historical interests and knowledge of this district, but exclusively of this district. We protect local historic buildings and collect and preserve items and records of historic interest. We run a small museum and conduct genealogical research.

Rating
Featured/Unfeatured
Claimed/Unclaimed
former plenty uniting church.jpg
27 Howell Road, Plenty, Vic. 3090 52.23 km

Plenty Historical Society Inc was formed in February 2001 and comprises a group of people keen to create and nurture an active and sustainable organisation that is assertive in preserving the unique natural and historical environment and culture of Plenty and district in complement with Nillumbik Shire Council’s Heritage Overlay.

Image: Former Plenty Uniting (Methodist) Church building which has recently been relocated to the Plenty Heritage Park, Memorial Drive, Plenty, by the Major Roads Projects Authority (MRPA), a section of VicRoads, as a result of the need to move it from its former site because of major roadworks being undertaken. MRPA acquired the building from the Uniting Church when they acquired the land for road construction. MRPA is donating the building to the Plenty Historical Society Inc. once renovations and significant other works are completed. The building will then become the new home of the Plenty Historical Society inc. It will be some time before the Society gains access to the building, but we are most grateful that firstly our efforts to save the building from possible demolition and have it relocated to the Heritage Park and eventually acquire the church building have been worthwhile.

The church building has been assessed as historical significant on a local level, for its long association with religious community gatherings and activities in the Plenty farming area. It should be seen as a locally significant representative of the Methodist revival of the 1920s, in which rural home missionaries played an important and distinctive role in sustaining local religious communities. Methodism was a Christian sect originating in England from the teachings of Wesley, born out of concern in the 19th century that the established church ‘had little or no desire for the salvation of the masses’ (Benson 1935:8) As a form of ‘social Christianity”\’, it emphasised missionary work among the poor, workers, and remote communities. It was a powerful force in educating the working class and evangelising its moral code. Travelling preachers and lay helpers drawn from its own ranks thus quickly multiplied and chapels were erected in centres of population predominantly using funds raised from its congregations, The Home Mission, established in 1875 to spread Methodism throughout the remote communities of the British Empire, trained and deployed ‘home missionaries’ who were the ‘shock-troops’ of the church. Their activity made Methodism, despite its relative youth, a strong presence in the colonies and the dominions, and Methodists regularly ranked among the main religious groups in new Victorian settler Communities

The former chapel is locally significant as one of a small number of buildings representing the establishment of the township of Plenty in the 1920s based around its small farming community. Plenty district developed following the arrival of the railway, even though the railway was some distance away. It developed as a community of small farmers. Plenty was then a developing orchard and farming district. Its school opened in 1922, with 29 pupils. The post office opened in 1923. The 1920s, when the church was built was thus an important period of growth in the history of Plenty.

Methodist services were first held at Plenty in 1925, under the auspices of the Diamond Creek Methodist Home Mission Station, which had six churches throughout the Diamond Valley. Other Churches were at Diamond Creek, Arthurs Creek, Cottles Bridge, Hurstbridge and Wattle Glen. In 1925, the Victorian Methodist Church encouraged the building of new country churches by offering £50 to communities who could raise £100. The Methodists of Plenty took advantage of the offer, and their wooden chapel was opened in December 1925. Within five years of opening the church was debt free. (Source: “Independent Panel Hearing Statement of Evidence on Former Methodist Church” January 2012)

Contact Name
Alan Pearce, Honorary Treasurer and Public Officer
c/- 30 Arndell St. Thomastown 3074 52.36 km

Identifying graves without headstones where possibleCemetery Camp Road Broadmeadows

Contact Name
Beryl Patullo- Secretary /Treasurer
Cottage photo (new)_crop_enhanced.jpg
10 Nillumbik Square, Diamond Creek 3089 52.97 km

The Society operates an historic cottage erected in 1865. It holds a large collection of historic photographs, and features information on local gold mines.

Contact Name
Jean Verso - President

Kyneton Historical Society is a voluntary non-profit incorporated community organisation, comprising people from many fields committed to collecting, preserving, researching and sharing the wealth of material that is our herit5age, and for which we as members are custodians.

Contact Name
Larina Strauch, Secretary
375 Eltham- Yarra Glen Road Kangaroo Ground Vic.3074 56.05 km

Research of over 1000 ww1, boer war soldiers and Nursesof the Shire of Eltham ( & Nillumbik), Rememberance Day& Anzac Day Services . Organising landscape works & surgestions for Master Plan.

Contact Name
Dennis Ward- President
Capture.PNG
Main Road, Kangaroo Ground VIC, Australia 56.66 km

Opening Times
Thursdays 10am-12noon
Sundays by appointment only

The Andrew Ross Museum was officially opened in March 1993 and through the hard work and dedication of its volunteers is now fully accredited with Museums Australia.

The Museum’s namesake, Andrew Ross, was the first schoolmaster in the district as well as a keen recorder of contemporary life and he left a remarkable written legacy to the Kangaroo Ground community. Our exhibitions explore the life and times of Andrew Ross and also Kangaroo Ground, the land and its people from pre-European time to the present.

We maintain collections that include the old schoolhouse building that the museum is house in, artefacts of local significance, a photographic collection and an extensive archive of documents relating to the district. Publications relating to local history are also available.

 

4 Jenna Close Greensborough Vic 3088 Australia 56.92 km
Contact Name
Noel Withers
1029 Melba Highway. Yarra Glen, Vic 3775 57.76 km
Contact Name
Irene Kearsay
Capture.PNG

Postal Address – C/o Post Office, Yarra Glen, VIC 3775

The History Group is a group formed within the Yarra Glen & District Living & Learning Centre in 2020.

It was formerly the Yarra Glen & District Historical Society Incorporated which existed independently from 1973 until 2019.

The History Group is located at the Yarra Glen & District Living & Learning Centre, 12-14 Anzac Avenue, Yarra Glen.

We meet informally at the Centre on Tuesday afternoons during school terms between 2 and 4pm. Anyone is welcome to come along on a regular or irregular basis. A $2 coin will be gratefully received for tea/coffee.

Special functions with guest speakers or mediated discussion groups will be conducted from time to time. These will be advertised in the Term Program published quarterly by the Yarra Glen & District Living & Learning Centre. Those attending these functions will be required to pay the annual membership fee of the Living & Learning Centre and a fee may also be charged for the function itself. Details will be in the Program.

eltham.jpg
728 Main Road, Eltham, 3095 58.33 km

The society operates the Local History Centre at the 1860 police residence at 728 Main Road, Eltham. Open by appointment.

Contact Name
Russell Yeoman, Secretary
alexandra historical society.jpg
6 Paynes Ave, Alexandra VIC 3714, Australia 58.4 km

Alexandra Historical Society was established in 1997 to document and preserve local heritage, and incorporated in 2001. Originally named Murrindindi Historic Register, the name was changed in 2010 to more accurately reflect the society’s objectives.

Collecting and storing archives.
Maintenance of historic “Dove Cottage” at 6 Paynes Ave Alexandra

655 Spring Road Fawcett Vic 3714 58.69 km

Community Hall – Communities of Fawcett and Konriella

Contact Name
S Hicks- President
malmsbury susan walter.jpg
71 Mollison Street, Malmsbury VIC, Australia 59.01 km

Formed in 1987, the society aims to preserve and promote the history and heritage of Malmsbury and surrounding districts.

Profile Image by Susan Walter

Contact Name
Susan Walter, President
3/6 Charles Street West Preston Vic 3073 Australia 59.4 km
Contact Name
Cycling Victoria History & Heritage Committee
10478200_970289909657408_889024043679672945_n.jpg
Essendon Fields VIC, Australia 59.7 km

The Airways Museum houses a collection of national importance that traces the development of Australia’s civil aviation airways system.

Preston Library, 266 Gower Street, Preston VIC 3072 59.85 km
1300 655 3551300 655 355

Please Note: The Preston Historical Society no longer operates. The resources are now held by Darebin Libraries. Contact 1300 655 355

The Preston Historical Society was established in 1965 and held local history, object and photographic collections.

Contact Name
Darebin Libraries
17458156_1411342475577754_17675895615212328_n.jpg
82 Bell Street, Coburg VIC, Australia 60.24 km

The Coburg Historical Society is a non-profit community-based organisation dedicated to researching and preserving the history and historic buildings of Coburg.

Harrick's Cottage, Harrick's Rd, Keilor 60.44 km

Research, record and promote the history and heritage of the Keilor region whilst collecting, preserving, enhancing and enjoying its artefacts and memorabilia. Exhibitions, publications and a digital project is part of our agenda.

Contact Name
Peter Ward
Horseshoe Bend Road, Keilor 61.1 km

Researching the Pioneers of Horseshoe Bend Farm and Keilor Plains.

Contact Name
John Shorten, President
Showing 21 - 40 of 174 results