A small group of interested persons in late 2011 decided to establish a group that would collate and preserve the local history of our area.
The Bunyip Historical Society’s home is at the Bunyip Hall and located in what is colloquially known as the “RSL room”. We do not open to the public as yet, but is in our future plans.
Postal Address – PO Box 126, Bunyip, VIC 3815
The Colac and District Historical Society was established in 1950, making Colac one of the first regional townships in the state to have such an organisation. A primary aim from the inauguration of the Society was to obtain a home where the various components of the district history could be preserved, and be made available to the public.
The Collingwood Historical Society has as its area of interest the former City of Collingwood, that is, the suburbs now known as Abbotsford, Clifton Hill, and Collingwood in Victoria, Australia.
Collingwood Historical Society had its beginnings in the 1970s as a local interest group in the former City of Collingwood. The Society:
- Promotes public awareness of our local history.
- Promotes the conservation of Collingwood’s heritage places.
- Organises events such as talks, displays and history walks.
- Collects historical material relating to Collingwood, Clifton Hill and Abbotsford.
- Records history in the form of photos, oral history tapes, publications, and electronic resources.
The Association was formed in 1986.
Our objectives are:
- To promote and foster goodwill among Cornish people and people in Victoria
- To stimulate interest in the History, Family History, Antiquities, Traditions and Social Conditions of Cornwall
- To aid approved Cultural Movements in and associated with Cornwall
- To endeavour to arrange contact between relatives and friends of Cornish people both in Victoria and Cornwall and with other Cornish Associations.
- To further awareness in the Victorian community of the importance of the Cornish emigration in the development of Australia.
- To assist and to encourage in conjunction with State Organizations, Local Government and the National Trust, the restoration and maintenance of buildings/areas of importance to the Cornish Heritage in Australia.
- To be a non-political, non-sectarian, cultural organization.
The current history group was reformed in 1998. We have never had a permanent premises or museum to store our records or welcome visitors and meetings were held in local community centres.
In 2016 the Hume Council allocated rental space for CHIG at the Newbury Centre in Craigieburn where we meet, work on our collection and hold our monthly meetings. CHIG relies greatly on our website as our main link with the local and wider community.
Our main activities, aside from collecting/researching and storing historical information on Craigieburn and the surrounding district, are keeping photographs of the changing face of the area, communicating with local community groups, schools and other relevant history organisations. We record oral histories of local residents and those with connections to Craigieburn who make contact with us.
Collects and preserves the heritage of the old Shire of Cranbourne, and manages the Fisherman’s Cottage Museum complex at Tooradin, on behalf of the City of Casey.
Cressy & District History Group Inc promotes the history of Cressy and district, documenting, preserving, displaying information and research.
Our mission is to collect, document, research, preserve and make available to the wider community for their enjoyment and education items that show the development of Dandenong and District from early settlement to present day.
The Daylesford & District Historical Society was formed in 1964 and the Museum established in 1971.
The Museum has approximately 800 square metres of interior displays and approximately 250 square metres of covered yard and houses an large collection of local memorabilia and artefacts.
The museum has extensive archival resources that are accessible by arrangement for research to researchers and genealogists.
The Dimboola and District Historical Society collects, researches, preserves and records local and town history. The Society has two Museums: Courthouse Museum and Dimboola Letterpress Print Museum. The Museum, the old 1875 Courthouse, houses displays and photographs. Records include the “Dimboola Banner” newspaper, est. 1879 in bound form from 1920s and microfilm from 1880s. Dimboola Shire Minute Books, photographs, family histories, ledgers of sporting, business, agriculture, etc., parish maps. Facilities include computers, scanning, microfilm and microfiche readers, photocopying to A3 size.