Camberwell Historical Society Inc. is a Volunteer organization whose purposes are to foster historical interest and knowledge, to compile and keep historical records of the district, to promote the interchange of information among its members by lectures, discussions, excursions and other activities, to facilitate liaison with other history groups in the district and to participate in community projects.
We are affiliated with the Royal Historical Society of Victoria.
The Society holds five general meetings annually, arranges four excursions and produces flyers for forthcoming events.
The Collingwood Historical Society has as its area of interest the former City of Collingwood, that is, the suburbs now known as Abbotsford, Clifton Hill, and Collingwood in Victoria, Australia.
Collingwood Historical Society had its beginnings in the 1970s as a local interest group in the former City of Collingwood. The Society:
- Promotes public awareness of our local history.
- Promotes the conservation of Collingwood’s heritage places.
- Organises events such as talks, displays and history walks.
- Collects historical material relating to Collingwood, Clifton Hill and Abbotsford.
- Records history in the form of photos, oral history tapes, publications, and electronic resources.
The East Melbourne Historical Society holds meetings 6 times a year either a talk on subject relevant to the history of East Melbourne, or a visit to a place of local interest. We collect material relevant to the history of East Melbourne, which is available for research by appointment. Newsletter 3 times a year, includes article relevant to the history of East Melbourne, carrying events and news of society.
The C J La Trobe Society Inc. was formed in 2001 to promote understanding and appreciation of the life, work and times of Charles Joseph La Trobe, Victoria’s first Lieutenant-Governor. Initially appointed in 1839 as Superintendent of the Port Phillip District, then a part of New South Wales, he became the first Lieutenant-Governor of the new colony of Victoria after separation in 1851.
The Society celebrates La Trobe’s birthday annually, hosts lectures, special functions and other events throughout the year and distributes the journal, La Trobeana, to its members three times per year. The journal explores different themes in the life and times of La Trobe, aspects of the settlement of Victoria, and other areas of interest to members, and provides information on forthcoming cultural events.
Postal Address – PO Box 65, Port Melbourne, VIC 3207
Theatre Heritage Australia Inc. is a non-profit organisation established in 1995 to foster knowledge and research into the history of Australian theatre. Our members include theatre professionals, scholars, and enthusiasts dedicated to documenting and sharing Australia’s unique theatre heritage.
The St Kilda Historical Society Inc. is a not-for-profit volunteer run organisation established in 1970 to foster interest and research into the history of St Kilda, Elwood and surrounding areas.
Postal Address – PO Box 177, Balaclava VIC 3183
The Australian Garden History Society promotes awareness and conservation of significant gardens and cultural landscapes through engagement, research, advocacy and activities.
Formed in 1980, the AGHS brings together people from diverse backgrounds united by an appreciation of and concern for our parks, gardens and cultural landscapes as part of Australia’s heritage. The Society promotes knowledge of historic gardens, significant landscapes and research into their history. It aims to examine gardens and gardening in their widest social, historic, literary, artistic and scientific context.
History Monash Inc is the former Oakleigh & District Historical Society Inc., established in 1961. Our volunteers are dedicated to studying, collecting, preserving, exhibiting and publishing local history within the City of Monash, especially of Oakleigh and surrounding districts.
The Adam Lindsay Gordon Commemorative Committee Inc. (A0049425F) was formed in 2006 by a group of dedicated enthusiasts. The aim of the Committee is to:
- Raise the profile of Adam Lindsay Gordon as Australia’s national poet
- Facilitate events around Australia on the anniversary of Adam Lindsay Gordon’s death
- Collate material on Adam Lindsay Gordon’s life and works and make it available to researchers and admirers alike
- Undertake projects to perpetuate the memory of Adam Lindsay Gordon
- Do all such other things as are conducive or incidental to the attainment of the above purposes or any of them.
Image: by Andrew Lutz. The piper is John Houghton from The City of Melbourne Highland Pipe Band.
The Fitzroy History Society caters for anyone interested in the history of the Fitzroy area. Anyone who is interested in joining is welcome. You don’t have to live in the area to be a member of the Society.
Postal Address – PO Box 180 Fitzroy VIC 3065
The City of Moorabbin Historical Society preserves the local history and heritage of the former suburbs of the City of Moorabbin. The suburbs include Ormond, McKinnon, Bentleigh, Bentleigh East, Heatherton, Moorabbin, Highett and Cheltenham. The Society acts as the custodian of the Box Cottage Museum. Visitors can explore the museum and the eclectic items on display.
The Anglican Historical Society was founded in 1955 to preserve and publicise the history of the Anglican Church of Australia, particularly in Victoria and Melbourne, and membership is open to all who are interested in the rich history of the Anglican Church in Melbourne.
Lectures and occasional excursions are held and, at the final meeting of the year, the Annual Sydney Smith Lecture is delivered.
The Society meets monthly from February-November (except July and August), at 6.30pm on the third Wednesday of the month, at Holy Trinity, East Melbourne. New members are welcome at any meeting.
For further information, please contact the Secretary, Roger Meyer, on 9818 4950.
The Association was formed in 1986.
Our objectives are:
- To promote and foster goodwill among Cornish people and people in Victoria
- To stimulate interest in the History, Family History, Antiquities, Traditions and Social Conditions of Cornwall
- To aid approved Cultural Movements in and associated with Cornwall
- To endeavour to arrange contact between relatives and friends of Cornish people both in Victoria and Cornwall and with other Cornish Associations.
- To further awareness in the Victorian community of the importance of the Cornish emigration in the development of Australia.
- To assist and to encourage in conjunction with State Organizations, Local Government and the National Trust, the restoration and maintenance of buildings/areas of importance to the Cornish Heritage in Australia.
- To be a non-political, non-sectarian, cultural organization.
We are a varied group of people with a shared interest in understanding and preserving the history of Heidelberg and surrounding suburbs. This includes helping to provide a place for the accumulation of objects and documents that add to the district’s story. We want people to be able to find historic artefacts and information in the future. We want to make sure that these materials are not lost.
Our expertise in history varies greatly. Many (perhaps most) of us have a general interest and have learnt as we went along. Some have skills gained from previous work and study. Others are serious students of history, including post graduate students. Everyone is welcome and everyone’s contribution is appreciated.
We need members to assist in a wide range of ways. Visit our website to see how you can get involved.
- Promote awareness and the preservation of Middle Park history.
- Involve and encourage the Middle Park community to actively participate in historical research.
- Seek from the community oral histories, photographs and moving images, documents and artefacts relevant to Middle Park history.
- Encourage research by government, educational institutions and others that can illuminate Middle Park history and culture.
- Seek resources, both financially and in-kind to enhance the work of the Group.
Image: courtesy of State Library of Victoria (Rose Stereograph Co. (1920). ARMSTRONG STREET, MIDDLE PARK, VICTORIA).
Postal Address – PO Box 5276, MIDDLE PARK 3206