The Castlemaine Historical Society was formed in 1965 to study, record and promote the historical heritage of Castlemaine and District. It operated for many years from temporary premises in various locations. In 1996 the Society was granted a lease to its present home in the historic Former Court House.
Meetings (with interesting guest speakers), exhibitions, a monthly newsletter, guided tours, the development, cataloguing and maintenance of an historic archive collection, indexing of records and the provision of a research service are the major activities of the members.
Archives held by the Society include early directories, voters lists, local newspaper index and some records and indexes concerning mining leases, rates, schools, churches and cemeteries.
Postal Address – PO Box 655, Castlemaine 3450
Preserving Australian and World Wide Early Ways of Life and Farming Heritage. Archiving collection, preparing static displays, restoration of exhibits for public display, creating walkways and BBQ areas, picket fences.
The Rushworth Historic Society is custodian of the Rushworth Museum, Rushworth, Whroo and district cemetery records, Chronicle Newspaper 1869 – 1977, 1987 – Waranga News
Wedderburn is is located 225 km north west of Bendigo and within the Loddon Shire. We have over 33,000 digitised records in our database covering Wedderburn and surrounding towns within the shire. Our digital records include over 100 audio tapes of past presentations given by locals talking about their early years in the district. Selected records and documents can be copied to a USB memory stick for visitors to take away with them. Further digitizing will continue throughout 2020.
Nagambie Historical Society was formed in 1968 for the sole purpose of ‘retaining equipment within the town as some agricultural equipment had already left the district’. The Museum site was developed in 1870 with the construction of the stables to house the Cobb & Co horses, these stables are still standing at the rear of the Old Court House building. The Court House building was formerly the Court of Petty Sessions, Shire Office and Chambers, Post Master General’s Office, and the Registry Office for births, deaths and marriages. Later additions to the site included the first electricity plant for the Nagambie township 1912, with a further extension to this building in 1932 by the SEC. During the early 1970s, the Historical Society erected a large agricultural machinery shed at the rear of the site, and this now houses the James Forbes Museum consisting of a comprehensive range of old farm machinery made at the local foundry. The Museum houses a very large display of memorabilia and research is undertaken upon request. Opening hours are:
Opening Hours each Wednesday, 1st Saturday of month, 2nd 3rd & 4th Sunday of month – 9.30am to 12.30pm
The Society holdings include over 3,000 photographs, cemetery, school, church and Shire of Grenville records, Grenville Standard newspapers. The Society forms the Committee of Management for the 1874 Linton Library/Mechanics Institute.
In 1986 the new Rochester Historical & Pioneer Society was established after amalgamating with the already existing Pioneer Society. The original land and the building known as the Common School built in 1874 was gifted to the Historical Society by Mrs. Ross. The building was classified “C” by the National Trust in 1972.
Our Volunteers can assist you with research into District Families History and our Museum Complex of four buildings is open to the public Open 9 – 12 noon Wednesday & Friday Or by Appointment
Rochester Historical and Pioneer Society is also a recognised Place of Deposit for documents and photographs.
Research, record and promote the history and heritage of the Keilor region whilst collecting, preserving, enhancing and enjoying its artefacts and memorabilia. Exhibitions, publications and a digital project is part of our agenda.
Aims to conserve, promote and share the heritage of Lockington and district from pre-white settlement to present day.
Photos, maps, documents, information, all aspects of life in the gold fields and farming areas surrounding Cape Clear & District Historical Society.
About the Society
The Whittlesea Historical Society meets on the third Sunday of each month at 2 pm (except January), visitors are most welcome to attend.We meet in the Activity Centre, Laurel St, Whittlesea.
Some of our aims include:
- Petition on behalf of local historic sites, buildings, trees, etc to Council or government,
- Undertake and promote the research of our history,
- Collect, conserve, compile and make available historic records,
- Establish and maintain a library and archives of that information,
- Disseminate knowledge of our history through lectures, publications, exhibitions, excursions and other means,
- Provide a means for people interested in the area’s history to meet, discuss and participate.
Research centre for local families, minute books for clubs and associations, local newspapers. Preservation and recovery of local history of families, communities, organizations, schoole etc. within the boundaries of the old Shire of East Loddon.
The Society aims to collect, restore and maintain the memorabilia and records of the old gold mining town of Landsborough, founded in 1862 and named in honour of William Landsborough the explorer, the township still contains many reminders of its busy past. These include the 1862 lock-up, the 1901 Mounted Police stables, and a 130 year old school, all of which are cared for by the Historical Group.