The Colac and District Historical Society was established in 1950, making Colac one of the first regional townships in the state to have such an organisation. A primary aim from the inauguration of the Society was to obtain a home where the various components of the district history could be preserved, and be made available to the public.
A site specific heritage organisation( Osborne House &grounds) dedicated to the preservation and utilisation of Osborne House as a community and arts preinet for Geelong. Specifically Osborne House and grounds, generally the city of Greater Geelong
The Society holdings include over 3,000 photographs, cemetery, school, church and Shire of Grenville records, Grenville Standard newspapers. The Society forms the Committee of Management for the 1874 Linton Library/Mechanics Institute.
The Society promotes the study, collection and preservation of the history, heritage and environment of Buninyong and the surrounding district.
Image: ‘Buninyong Town Hall, home of the Buninyong and District Historical Society’.
This Observatory, situated at Mount Pleasant in Ballarat, was established on the initiative and with the financial support of James Oddie, and was formally opened to the public in 1886. When Oddie presented the Observatory to the people of Ballarat, it became the first municipal observatory in Australia.
Opening Hours for Observatory – See Booking and Events times. All programs require a prior booking.