Craigieburn Historical Interest Group Inc

Capture.PNG
440 Grand Boulevard Craigieburn 3064

The current history group was reformed in 1998. We have never had a permanent premises or museum to store our records or welcome visitors and meetings were held in local community centres. 

In 2016 the Hume Council allocated rental space for CHIG at the Newbury Centre in Craigieburn where we meet, work on our collection and hold our monthly meetings. CHIG relies greatly on our website as our main link with the local and wider community.

Our main activities, aside from collecting/researching and storing historical information on Craigieburn and the surrounding district, are keeping photographs of the changing face of the area, communicating with local community groups, schools and other relevant history organisations. We record  oral histories of local residents and those with connections to Craigieburn who make contact with us. 

Rating
Featured/Unfeatured
Claimed/Unclaimed
Somerton Rd, Greenvale 3046 7.64 km
Contact Name
Helen Rolls
c/- 30 Arndell St. Thomastown 3074 14.56 km

Identifying graves without headstones where possibleCemetery Camp Road Broadmeadows

Contact Name
Beryl Patullo- Secretary /Treasurer
66/68 Macedon Street SUNBURY VIC 3429 Australia 15.15 km
Contact Name
Trevor Dunn
PO Box 423 Sunbury Vic 3429 Australia 17.21 km
Contact Name
Peter Free
10478200_970289909657408_889024043679672945_n.jpg
Essendon Fields VIC, Australia 17.3 km

The Airways Museum houses a collection of national importance that traces the development of Australia’s civil aviation airways system.

Harrick's Cottage, Harrick's Rd, Keilor 17.7 km

Research, record and promote the history and heritage of the Keilor region whilst collecting, preserving, enhancing and enjoying its artefacts and memorabilia. Exhibitions, publications and a digital project is part of our agenda.

Contact Name
Peter Ward
Horseshoe Bend Road, Keilor 18.38 km

Researching the Pioneers of Horseshoe Bend Farm and Keilor Plains.

Contact Name
John Shorten, President
C/- 127 Roulston Way Wallan VIC 3756 Australia 19.21 km
Contact Name
Woodlands Heritage Interpretation Inc
885364_478055068908287_662082069_o.jpg
Wallan VIC, Australia 19.31 km

The Military History Group Inc. is based in Victoria, Australia, and is an organisation dedicated to the restoration and preservation of military vehicles and their heritage.

The MHG Inc. attends various military vehicle displays throughout Victoria and NSW. Vehicles from WW2, Korea, Malaya, Borneo, Vietnam and current conflicts are represented.

 

 

3/6 Charles Street West Preston Vic 3073 Australia 19.58 km
Contact Name
Cycling Victoria History & Heritage Committee
Capture.PNG

About the Society

The Whittlesea Historical Society meets on the third Sunday of each month at 2 pm (except January), visitors are most welcome to attend.We meet in the Activity Centre, Laurel St, Whittlesea.

Some of our aims include:

  • Petition on behalf of local historic sites, buildings, trees, etc to Council or government,
  • Undertake and promote the research of our history,
  • Collect, conserve, compile and make available historic records,
  • Establish and maintain a library and archives of that information,
  • Disseminate knowledge of our history through lectures, publications, exhibitions, excursions and other means,
  • Provide a means for people interested in the area’s history to meet, discuss and participate.
17458156_1411342475577754_17675895615212328_n.jpg
82 Bell Street, Coburg VIC, Australia 19.72 km

The Coburg Historical Society is a non-profit community-based organisation dedicated to researching and preserving the history and historic buildings of Coburg.

Preston Library, 266 Gower Street, Preston VIC 3072 20.7 km
1300 655 3551300 655 355

Please Note: The Preston Historical Society no longer operates. The resources are now held by Darebin Libraries. Contact 1300 655 355

The Preston Historical Society was established in 1965 and held local history, object and photographic collections.

Contact Name
Darebin Libraries
yarrambat historical society.jpg
722 Yan Yean Rd, Yarrambat VIC 3091, Australia 20.83 km

The Yarrambat Historical Society Inc was formed in 1990 with the mission “To preserve and perpetuate the history of the area and to promote and encourage social interchange between people of all ages who share and interest in our cultural heritage”

The Yarrambat Heritage Museum is by far the largest project undertaken by the Society. The Society took over the site in early 2001 and over the ensuing years has developed the site into an operational Heritage Museum. A grant from the Victorian State Government enabled the relocation of the original 1878 Primary School classroom to the site in 2002.

Contact Name
Brendon Smith, Secretary
essendon historical society court house museum.jpg
Old Moonee Ponds Courthouse Museum,768 Mt Alexander Rd,Moonee Ponds 3039 21.56 km

Essendon Historical Society is a non-profit organisation committed to documenting, preserving and promoting the history of the City of Moonee Valley which consists of Airport West, Ascot Vale, Avondale Heights, Essendon, Essendon North, Keilor East, Kensington, Moonee Ponds, Niddrie, Strathmore, Strathmore Heights as well as parts of Keilor and Flemington.

The Society was formed in 1970 by a group of residents who recognised the importance of preserving all aspects of local history for the benefit of present and future generations.

Early meetings were held in private homes and, later, in the Moonee Ponds Town Hall. In 1981, after a long battle, the Society obtained the use of the old Moonee Ponds Courthouse as its headquarters.

Essendon Historical Society has retained the use of the 1890 building since that time. With somewhere to display and store items of local historical interest, the community was encouraged to assist in building up various collections of local significance.

*Image Source: Essendon Historical Society Collection

Contact Name
Mary Cahill
PO Box 5052 Brunswick North VIC 3056 Australia 21.79 km
03 9525 369603 9525 3696
0438 077 329 (Could be 677)0438 077 329 (Could be 677)
Contact Name
Peter Johnson
former plenty uniting church.jpg
27 Howell Road, Plenty, Vic. 3090 21.8 km

Plenty Historical Society Inc was formed in February 2001 and comprises a group of people keen to create and nurture an active and sustainable organisation that is assertive in preserving the unique natural and historical environment and culture of Plenty and district in complement with Nillumbik Shire Council’s Heritage Overlay.

Image: Former Plenty Uniting (Methodist) Church building which has recently been relocated to the Plenty Heritage Park, Memorial Drive, Plenty, by the Major Roads Projects Authority (MRPA), a section of VicRoads, as a result of the need to move it from its former site because of major roadworks being undertaken. MRPA acquired the building from the Uniting Church when they acquired the land for road construction. MRPA is donating the building to the Plenty Historical Society Inc. once renovations and significant other works are completed. The building will then become the new home of the Plenty Historical Society inc. It will be some time before the Society gains access to the building, but we are most grateful that firstly our efforts to save the building from possible demolition and have it relocated to the Heritage Park and eventually acquire the church building have been worthwhile.

The church building has been assessed as historical significant on a local level, for its long association with religious community gatherings and activities in the Plenty farming area. It should be seen as a locally significant representative of the Methodist revival of the 1920s, in which rural home missionaries played an important and distinctive role in sustaining local religious communities. Methodism was a Christian sect originating in England from the teachings of Wesley, born out of concern in the 19th century that the established church ‘had little or no desire for the salvation of the masses’ (Benson 1935:8) As a form of ‘social Christianity”\’, it emphasised missionary work among the poor, workers, and remote communities. It was a powerful force in educating the working class and evangelising its moral code. Travelling preachers and lay helpers drawn from its own ranks thus quickly multiplied and chapels were erected in centres of population predominantly using funds raised from its congregations, The Home Mission, established in 1875 to spread Methodism throughout the remote communities of the British Empire, trained and deployed ‘home missionaries’ who were the ‘shock-troops’ of the church. Their activity made Methodism, despite its relative youth, a strong presence in the colonies and the dominions, and Methodists regularly ranked among the main religious groups in new Victorian settler Communities

The former chapel is locally significant as one of a small number of buildings representing the establishment of the township of Plenty in the 1920s based around its small farming community. Plenty district developed following the arrival of the railway, even though the railway was some distance away. It developed as a community of small farmers. Plenty was then a developing orchard and farming district. Its school opened in 1922, with 29 pupils. The post office opened in 1923. The 1920s, when the church was built was thus an important period of growth in the history of Plenty.

Methodist services were first held at Plenty in 1925, under the auspices of the Diamond Creek Methodist Home Mission Station, which had six churches throughout the Diamond Valley. Other Churches were at Diamond Creek, Arthurs Creek, Cottles Bridge, Hurstbridge and Wattle Glen. In 1925, the Victorian Methodist Church encouraged the building of new country churches by offering £50 to communities who could raise £100. The Methodists of Plenty took advantage of the offer, and their wooden chapel was opened in December 1925. Within five years of opening the church was debt free. (Source: “Independent Panel Hearing Statement of Evidence on Former Methodist Church” January 2012)

Contact Name
Alan Pearce, Honorary Treasurer and Public Officer
10377388_1502541090020423_8264944873276119485_n.png
33 Saxon Street, Brunswick VIC 3056, Australia 22.7 km

Brunswick Community History Group Inc. is a community-based organisation interested in the history of our local area (Brunswick, Victoria, Australia).

Postal Address – PO Box 8, Brunswick VIC 3056

4 Jenna Close Greensborough Vic 3088 Australia 22.91 km
Contact Name
Noel Withers
Showing 1 - 20 of 210 results