Our mission is to collect, document, research, preserve and make available to the wider community for their enjoyment and education items that show the development of Dandenong and District from early settlement to present day.
The society records and documents local history, and to advise our community. To preserve and materials, documents, photographs, tiven to the society for research and publications.
Since our founding in 1963, we have been working to collect and preserve items and information connected to the history and heritage of Brighton, Victoria.
Located in the Bayside Arts and Cultural Centre (Old Town Hall), the BHS is home to an extensive and diverse collection, including photos, documents, maps, art, artefacts and a large costume collection of State significance.
Image: Bayside Arts & Cultural Centre/Old Brighton Town Hall. This is where the Brighton Historical Society is located along with the Bayside Art Gallery, the Brighton Theatre Company and the Brighton Art Society.
Camberwell Historical Society Inc. is a Volunteer organization whose purposes are to foster historical interest and knowledge, to compile and keep historical records of the district, to promote the interchange of information among its members by lectures, discussions, excursions and other activities, to facilitate liaison with other history groups in the district and to participate in community projects.
We are affiliated with the Royal Historical Society of Victoria.
The Society holds five general meetings annually, arranges four excursions and produces flyers for forthcoming events.
The Ringwood Historical Society exists to collect, research and disseminate information relating to the history of Ringwood and its environs. Monthly meetings with speakers, local books, photographic displays.
Interested in research and collection of local historical photographs, recollections, etc. With new premises, aiming for increased school and community participation.
The Canterbury History Group is an active community group that collects, preserves and presents historical material in the Melbourne suburb of Canterbury.
Postal Address – 142 Canterbury Road, Canterbury VIC 3126
The aim of the Balwyn Historical Society is to facilitate and promote an interest in the history of Balwyn and nearby areas. Its objectives are to:
- Organise speakers on historical subjects and related community interests
- Publish a regular newsletter
- Encourage historical research
- Collect and organise documents and photographs and make them available for research
- Display historical photographs and documents
- Conduct events and excursions to places of historical interest
- Exchange information and work with other historical societies
Suburbs or towns: Balwyn; Balwyn North; Deepdene; Greythorn
The Berwick – Pakenham Historical Society seeks to promote awareness of the history of our district’s history through the acquisition, preservation and display of historical items; recording of older residents’ knowledge; and undertaking research, publications and displays. We are a member of the Royal Historical Society of Victoria.
Postal Address – PO Box 442, Pakenham VIC 3810
Funding was obtained from the Victorian Multicultural Commission in 2005 to establish The Australian Lebanese Historical Society of Victoria. ALHSV was incorporated on July 7 2005 and formally launched at the Royal Historical Society of Victoria, Melbourne, on 4 October 2006.
We welcome as members all who have an interest in the ALHSV goals and activities.
The ALHSV is run by a Council with elections held bi-annually.
We aim to…
- Foster research, writing and exhibitions on Lebanese heritage, culture and history in Victoria.
- Identify and record materials related to Lebanese migration and settlement in Victoria.
- Promote the study and publication of the contributions of the Lebanese Community to Australian society.
- Liaise with mainstream collecting and displaying bodies such as museums, libraries, archival resource centres and cultural organisations.
- Build understanding of their cultural heritage among the Australian-Lebanese Community of Victoria.
- Sponsor and develop applications for projects in support of the above.
Established to produce a book re 30 years of Festivals hold regular meetings, we house a Display at Shop 2, The Terrace, Mooroolbark.
The Hawthorn Historical Society was established to foster historical interests, to collect and preserve items of historical interest, to compile a historical record of the district and to work in association with the National Trust (Victoria), Heritage Victoria and Hawthorn Library.
The St Kilda Historical Society Inc. is a not-for-profit volunteer run organisation established in 1970 to foster interest and research into the history of St Kilda, Elwood and surrounding areas.
Postal Address – PO Box 177, Balaclava VIC 3183