Our mission is to collect, document, research, preserve and make available to the wider community for their enjoyment and education items that show the development of Dandenong and District from early settlement to present day.
The society was established in 1984 and is dedicated to preserving, collecting and researching the history of Avoca and the surrounding district.
The headquarters of the Society is an historic building at 85 High Street, Avoca, which was the Avoca Court House from 1859 to 1979. It now contains a local history & family history resource centre containing thousands of documents, photographs, maps, microfilm of local newspapers & rate books, artifacts, etc., pertaining to the localities in the Avoca district.
Postal Address PO Box 24 Avoca VIC 3467
The Altona Historical Society was formed in 1961, incorporated in 1996 and in 2000 amalgamated with the Laverton Historical Society to form the Altona-Laverton Historical Society Inc.
Its aim is to encourage the study of the history of Altona and Laverton area through the acquisition of relevant objects, photographs, information and archive material, making these available to members and the community for their research.
The society also hosts a number of events at the Altona homestead and in the park including ghost tours organised by Lantern Ghost Tours and visits by many clubs and schools. Information about these events can be found by visiting the Altona-Laverton Historical Society website.
Homested Opening Times
First Sunday of the month – 10.30-2.30pm
The society collects and maintains the local history of Edenhope and district in written, photographic and electronic form.
Edenhope and District Historical Society was reformed on 27 May 2007, after having lapsed over 25 years ago. We only have a small collection at this stage and if any fellow societies or individuals can assist us with providing any historical photos of Edenhope and the district, we would be most grateful.
Suburbs or Towns: Edenhope; Apsley; Benyao; Booroopki; Bringalbert; Charam; Chetwynd; Connewirrico; Dopewora; Goroke; Kadnook; Kangawall; Karnak; Lake Wallace; Langkoop; Miga Lake; Minimay; Morea; Mortat; Neuarpur; Ozenkadnook; Patyah; Peronne; Poolajello; Powers Creek; Springbank; Tallageira; Ullswater; Womberlano
Member Days are held the last Sunday of each month except December and January. We operate the Mallacoota WWII Bunker Museum, a former WWII RAAF operations bunker exhibiting military and local history, and the Genoa School Museum.
Formed in 1964 to collect and preserve the history of the area, the society has a large collection of books, photographs, documents, other printed material, artefacts and family history information. Our home is the Mechanic’s Institute, Leongatha, where we store our collection and present our bi-annual exhibitions.
Suburbs or towns: Leongatha; Gippsland; South Gippsland
Opening times Thursday and Friday 12 to 4 pm or at request
The Woodend and District Heritage Society operates a local and family history resource centre. The collection is fully indexed and relates to the Old Shire of Newham & Woodend, Ashbourne, Hesket, early Rochford, part Macedon, part Carlsruhe.
Built in 1870, the court house in Forest St was the second court building in Woodend.
It was used for criminal cases until 1964 and for coroner’s court hearings until the 1970s. Now it’s home to the Woodend & District Heritage Society.
You can find us at Woodend’s old court house every Wednesday, from February to November (10am-12.30pm and 1.30pm-4pm).
The Society was formed in 1972 to preserve the history of the municipality and to offer research facilities to students and members of the public.
We are committed to the collection, preservation and promotion of the history of the municipality of Glen Eira.
Our collection includes documents, photos, maps, family histories and books.
Open Tuesday and Friday 9am – 12noon
Suburbs or towns: Caulfield; Elsternwick; North Caulfield; South Caulfield; Murrumbeena; Ormond; City of Glen Eira; McKinnon; Bentleigh; Carnegie; Gardenvale; Glen Huntly
Situated in the recently renovated Old Court House, the Society aims to collect and preserve historical artefacts, documents, photos, family histories, buildings, anecdotes and all items of historical interest to the town and district as well as to give access to all interested people. The Society has a collection of around 1200-1500 photos depicting the town and district.
Suburbs or towns: Wycheproof
HAVE YOU ANY OLD PHOTOS
The Historical Society is always looking for photos of Wycheproof & District at any point in time, Local Events, Farming Practices, Sporting & Local Identities, and Railways.
Description: Yarrawonga – Mulwala Historical Society is involved in all forms of research and preservation of local history. Visitors, coach tours and school groups welcome at the Pioneer Museum. The Museum preserves local and rural history to educate, entertain and provide enjoyment to visitors of all ages.
Group Bookings, please call: 0418 307 569
School Students $2
Suburbs or towns: Yarrawonga; Mulwala, NSW; Burramine; Wilby; Telford; Bundalong; Bathumi; Boomahnoomoonah; Savernake, NSW; Tungamah
The Collection held by the Yackandandah and District Historical Society is a large and comprehensive collection of the many stories of this district, held in photographs, images, objects, registers, documents, letters, textiles, digital forms and research material.
Description: Open museum, research, collection , publications, public programs.
Suburbs or towns: Yackandandah; Allans Flat; Staghorn Flat; Osbornes Flat
The Ballarat Historical Society’s collection is housed in the Gold Museum, Bradshaw Street, Ballarat. It includes over 25,000 photographs, early Trade & Street Directories, the Register of Inmates for the Ballarat Benevolent Society and objects.
The collection can be searched online via the Society’s website or accessed by appointment Mon – Friday, 10.00 am – 4.00 pm. Phone 5337 1107 to make an appointment.
The Jamieson and District Historical Society Inc. formed in 1991 have their headquarters and museum in the Old Jamieson Courthouse. Manned and run by local volunteers who work very hard to preserve the history of Jamieson and the Upper Goulburn Region, which covers the area from Howqua through to Matlock and beyond.
Suburbs or towns Darlingford; Enochs Point; Howqua; Jamieson; Kevington; Ten Mile; Gaffneys Creek; A1 Mine Settlement; Woods Point; Matlock
Queenscliffe Historical Museum is located in the main street in Queenscliff, open 2-4 daily. Collections include 8000 photographs, significant documents, textiles and clothing. Family history and buildings research available.
A limited museum is temporarily located at 18 Hesse Street until early 2022 when the construction of the new museum is expected to be finished.
The Port Phillip Pioneers Group (PPPG) was formed in May 1970, as a special interest group of The Genealogical Society of Victoria (GSV).
The original purpose was to bring together members of the GSV who could establish direct lineal descent from Pioneers who settled or were born in the Port Phillip District of the Colony of New South Wales (the present State of Victoria) prior to 1 July 1851.
The Group became a separate Incorporated Association in April 1991 and membership of the GSV is no longer required. Linkage with the GSV is maintained as an inaugural Member Group.
The aims and objectives of PPG are:
- To perpetuate the memory of, and create a greater awareness of, the part played by the Pioneers of early settlement in the area of the present State of Victoria;
- To compile biographical and genealogical data of the Pioneers and their immediate families;
- To preserve written and printed material which illustrates aspects of Pioneer settlement in Victoria.
Portland Historical Society, founded in 1964, operates a museum in the Curator’s Cottage in the Portland Botanic Gardens; has exhibits in the Shire’s History House Museum and installs plaques on historic buidings and sites in Portland. Portland is ‘The Cradle of Victoria’.
Established in 1854, the Prahran Mechanics’ Institute is a community owned and run library specialising in the history of Victoria, Australia. With more than 30,000 books for loan and a professional information service for our members, we provide a central resource for research into the history of Victoria.
In addition to our extensive lending and reference library specialising in works about Victorian history, we organise educational activities including lectures, seminars and competitions to encourage and facilitate the study of history.
Please Note: The Preston Historical Society no longer operates. The resources are now held by Darebin Libraries. Contact 1300 655 355
The Preston Historical Society was established in 1965 and held local history, object and photographic collections.
The Society operates a Museum which is open on Sundays from 2pm to 4pm, and Tuesdays 10 am to 4 pm. Collection and display of historical items of interest and documents, photos, family history.
The Queen Victoria Women’s Centre is an iconic Melbourne landmark that supports women (cis, trans) and non-binary through creative experiences, community resources and the power of connection.
We host creative programming onsite, online and around Victoria, have venues available to hire, QVWC SHOP and provide office space to likeminded resident organisations. We are for women, by women – always.
The Society has a collection of memorabilia, photographs and written records relevant to the history and development of the district. The largest project has been to create a wall of honour, photos of the original settlers and their wives, along with many of those who set up the township.[caption id="attachment_2489" align="alignnone" width="792"] Former Red Cliffs Courthouse and home to Red Cliffs & District Historical Society[/caption]
Profile Image: Big Lizzie, an icon of Red Cliffs. Read more about the history of Big Lizzie.
A small group of residents committed to researching the history of Dingley Village. Aims to collect documents, photographs etc. We have currently received funding to amploy an author to write the history of Dingley.