Camberwell Historical Society Inc. is a Volunteer organization whose purposes are to foster historical interest and knowledge, to compile and keep historical records of the district, to promote the interchange of information among its members by lectures, discussions, excursions and other activities, to facilitate liaison with other history groups in the district and to participate in community projects.
We are affiliated with the Royal Historical Society of Victoria.
The Society holds five general meetings annually, arranges four excursions and produces flyers for forthcoming events.
The Italian Historical Society was established in 1980 to document, preserve and promote the history of Italian migration and settlement in Australia.
Through the ongoing generous support of the Italian community and the Society’s collecting, research and interpretation activities the Society has developed an extensive collection of significant material which includes: A wide range of images, oral histories, ephemera, documents and objects which relate to all aspects of the Italian migration and settlement story.
Essendon Historical Society is a non-profit organisation committed to documenting, preserving and promoting the history of the City of Moonee Valley which consists of Airport West, Ascot Vale, Avondale Heights, Essendon, Essendon North, Keilor East, Kensington, Moonee Ponds, Niddrie, Strathmore, Strathmore Heights as well as parts of Keilor and Flemington.
The Society was formed in 1970 by a group of residents who recognised the importance of preserving all aspects of local history for the benefit of present and future generations.
Early meetings were held in private homes and, later, in the Moonee Ponds Town Hall. In 1981, after a long battle, the Society obtained the use of the old Moonee Ponds Courthouse as its headquarters.
Essendon Historical Society has retained the use of the 1890 building since that time. With somewhere to display and store items of local historical interest, the community was encouraged to assist in building up various collections of local significance.
*Image Source: Essendon Historical Society Collection
Research of over 1000 WWI, Boer War soldiers and Nurses of the Shire of Eltham ( & Nillumbik), Remembrance Day& Anzac Day Services . Organising landscape works & suggestions for Master Plan.
The society collects and maintains the local history of the Horsham area in written, photographic and electronic form plus a small collection of historical memorabilia. Monthly meeting. Open Tuesday Wednesday 1.30 – 4.30 Family and Local History and Small Museum.
“Mallow House”, built 1916, is the home of Koo Wee Rup Swamp Historical Society, incorporating a museum, etc. Collects and preserves the history of Koo Wee Rup and the Koo Wee Rup Swamp.
The Maldon Vintage Machinery & Museum houses a wonderful display of vintage machinery and has evolved into a fabulous museum with artifacts from the region and afield. Items from Gold mining. the industrial Revolution, Fire Fighting, Farming to the Home.
The museum is ran by volunteers and members. We aim to open on the times listed below, but things do pop up from time-to-time. It is best that you give us a call first, particularly if you are travelling some distance to get to us. We can be contacted on 03 5472 2202.
Sundays: 2nd Sunday of the Month 10AM-4PM
To preserve local history information for future generations.
Collecting information (newspapers, old scrap books, photos) household utensils & items, some small machinery & tools. Tours of old shops and farm houses.
The object of our Society is to foster historical interest and knowledge, particularly but not exclusively of the Nullawil District, and to compile and record Nullawil’s history. Also to restore and display machinery and photos of the area, and to keep records of schools and townships in the area.
Established in 1854, the Prahran Mechanics’ Institute is a community owned and run library specialising in the history of Victoria, Australia. With more than 30,000 books for loan and a professional information service for our members, we provide a central resource for research into the history of Victoria.
In addition to our extensive lending and reference library specialising in works about Victorian history, we organise educational activities including lectures, seminars and competitions to encourage and facilitate the study of history.
The Rushworth Historic Society is custodian of the Rushworth Museum, Rushworth, Whroo and district cemetery records, Chronicle Newspaper 1869 – 1977, 1987 – Waranga News
Alexandra Historical Society was established in 1997 to document and preserve local heritage, and incorporated in 2001. Originally named Murrindindi Historic Register, the name was changed in 2010 to more accurately reflect the society’s objectives.
Collecting and storing archives.
Maintenance of historic “Dove Cottage” at 6 Paynes Ave Alexandra
Member Days are held the last Sunday of each month except December and January. We operate the Mallacoota WWII Bunker Museum, a former WWII RAAF operations bunker exhibiting military and local history, and the Genoa School Museum.
The American Ex-Servicemen’s Association is a social organization formed for the purpose of promoting the welfare of American Ex-Servicemen and women in Australia and to secure better relations between Americans and the Australian Community. We join together to enjoy comradery and remember those who have served our home country
The American Ex-Servicemen’s Association was started in March 1946 by a group of American Service personnel who emigrated to Australia.
The Cohuna and District Historical Society was formed in April 1970, our Society has grown to become a treasured resource for the local community and historians alike. All run by dedicated and enthusiastic volunteers, there are three main parts to our Society:
- Archives Centre (the brick building)
- Museum (the old Scots Church)
- Trash and Treasure (the old Scots Hall)
The Society holds a culturally and historically significant collection of books, documents, photographs, artworks, textiles and objects. Many of the photographs and documents are irreplaceable.
Mainly a pictorial and documentary collection, some artefacts (machinery, small utensils). Second site, former Court House, 621 Midland Highway, original furniture, soldiers photos, MUIOOF Certificate and honor rolls.