A family history group of dedicated volunteers, involved in historical research through our extensive resource library and workshops
Paynesville Maritime Museum (PMM) is dedicated to researching, recording and retelling the maritime heritage of the village and surrounding area of Paynesville on the Gippsland Lakes in Victoria, Australia.
PMM is open on the second Sunday each month from 9.00 to 12.30. (Same day as the Community Market).
We concentrate on the activities on the area of the Gippsland Lakes close to Paynesville, which includes the building and operation of steamships, the fishing fleet and boating tourism.
Collection, conservation, interpretation, and education of local history.
The Sale Historical Society manages the Sale Museum (open Sunday & Wednesday afternoons), Sale Water Tower (open 2 – 4 pm each Saturday), the Sale Powder Magazine (open by request) and the Sale Railway Museum (open for special functions and by request). Holdings in the main museum include municipal records (1863 – 1950), large photographic collection, including early pioneer settlers, Mary Grant Bruce collection and other local memorabilia collections. Research by written request.
Themes in the Maffra Sugar Beet Museum include the rise and fall of the sugar beet industry in Maffra 1896-1948 , pre-European occupation of the area, early European exploration and settlement of central Gippsland and the development of agriculture and agricultural products.
The society has an extensive collection of photographs held in the Maffra Public Library. The Maffra Public Library also holds the “Flo Pearce” document collection. Both of these collections are catalogued and may be viewed during normal library hours.
The Buchan Heritage Group operates out of the historic butter factory, which it is currently restoring in accordance with Heritage Victoria guidelines. Special displays are also featured in the Butter Factory at Easter and Christmas. The group’s archives include audio recordings of community forums on the history of different localities in the Buchan district.
The European occupation of Heyfield dates from James Macfarlane’s Heyfield run of 1844. After his death it was held for a time by the Firebraces, before being purchased in 1866 by James Tyson. He referred to it as his “Cabbage Patch”. Heyfield has a strong pastoral, dairying and timber history. The collection covers Heyfield and surround districts of Seaton, Glenmaggie, Coongulla, Glenfalloch and Licola in the former shire of Maffra, and Nambrok / Denison and Wandocka, plus Cowwarr in the former shire of Rosedale.
Omeo Justice Precinct is classified by Heritage Victoria and is one of the most intact legal precincts of the state. It includes Oriental sites and other historical sites. Guided tours.
Rosedale and district heritage preservation, collection committee, cataloguing, restoration. Memorial Rose Garden – Early Settlers