Evandale is situated in the Australian state of Tasmania, on the South Esk River 20 km south of Launceston and 5 km from the main highway and Launceston Airport.
Originally established as a military post in 1811, it was known variously as Collins Hill, Patersons Plains, Gordon Plains, and Morven before the town’s name was changed to Evandale in 1836 in honour of Tasmania’s first Surveyor-General, G.W. Evans. It was declared a municipality in 1865.
Evandale is a National Trust classified Georgian village, popular with tourists because of its many Georgian buildings.
The Evandale History Society is a volunteer society with a small dedicated membership. The Society was established in 1991 with the aim of preserving the written, photographic and oral history of Evandale, and the surrounding areas of Nile, Deddington, Morven and Western Junction.
The society was established in 1984 and is dedicated to preserving, collecting and researching the history of Avoca and the surrounding district.
The headquarters of the Society is an historic building at 85 High Street, Avoca, which was the Avoca Court House from 1859 to 1979. It now contains a local history & family history resource centre containing thousands of documents, photographs, maps, microfilm of local newspapers & rate books, artifacts, etc., pertaining to the localities in the Avoca district.
Postal Address PO Box 24 Avoca VIC 3467
The object of the Society is to promote the study, collection and preservation of Bacchus Marsh and District’s history, historical places and objects. To promote and support historical research and publication of the same.
Postal Address – PO Box 223, Bacchus Marsh, Victoria, 3340, AUSTRALIA
The aim of the society is to help people discover their family history. To have appropriate records available, with guidance in ways to research and record their history and genealogy.
The Ballarat & District Genealogical Society Inc. was formed in 1978 as a breakaway group from the Ballarat Historical Society. This move was perceived as making a distinction between local history and family history research.
Hours – Monday to Thursday 10.00am – 4.30pm Collection includes: Family histories, references assisting local research, local histories, cemetery records, birth marriage and death records, computer access, electoral rolls, interstate records, directories.
Postal Address – Secretary BDGS Inc, P.O Box 1809, Ballarat Mail Centre, 3354
This Observatory, situated at Mount Pleasant in Ballarat, was established on the initiative and with the financial support of James Oddie, and was formally opened to the public in 1886. When Oddie presented the Observatory to the people of Ballarat, it became the first municipal observatory in Australia.
Opening Hours for Observatory – See Booking and Events times. All programs require a prior booking.
The Ballarat Historical Society’s collection is housed in the Gold Museum, Bradshaw Street, Ballarat. It includes over 25,000 photographs, early Trade & Street Directories, the Register of Inmates for the Ballarat Benevolent Society and objects.
The collection can be searched online via the Society’s website or accessed by appointment Mon – Friday, 10.00 am – 4.00 pm. Phone 5337 1107 to make an appointment.
The contribution by people of Irish background to Ballarat’s social, cultural and industrial development is substantial and the Ballarat and District Irish Association plans to present, celebrate, promote and enjoy this ongoing legacy
Collection: Comprises of local historical records, photographs and memorabilia from Balnarring and surrounding district
Services/Activities: Research; copying; meetings; publications; cataloguing; public displays
Open: By appointment
Postal Address: PO Box 183, Balnarring VIC 3926
The aim of the Balwyn Historical Society is to facilitate and promote an interest in the history of Balwyn and nearby areas. Its objectives are to:
- Organise speakers on historical subjects and related community interests
- Publish a regular newsletter
- Encourage historical research
- Collect and organise documents and photographs and make them available for research
- Display historical photographs and documents
- Conduct events and excursions to places of historical interest
- Exchange information and work with other historical societies
Suburbs or towns: Balwyn; Balwyn North; Deepdene; Greythorn
The Beaufort Historical Society is situated in the former Beaufort Court House, in Livingstone St, next door to the Uniting Church. The society has an extensive collection of family histories, photographs, newspapers, school and cemeteries records, etc.
Suburbs or towns: Beaufort; Chute; Raglan; Trawalla; Shirley; Waterloo; Stockyard Hill; Lake Goldsmith; Nerring; Eurambeen
Postal Address: PO Box 30, Beaufort VIC 3373
Beaumaris Modern is a non-profit organisation whose mission is to celebrate, educate and promote public awareness of the importance of preserving the mid-century architecture of Beaumaris.
The Bellarine Historical Society’s aim is to preserve the history of the Bellarine. Over the years a dedicated team of volunteers has created a unique research centre that contains rate books, church records, and family histories. It also has a small museum which contains items of local significance. Many photos and personal records provide an insight into a world we have lost.
Postal Address – PO Box 53, Drysdale VIC 3222
Benalla & District Historical Society Inc is active in both its aspects of operating a Museum specializing in costume, Kelly and local history, and the Research Rooms’ archival The Benalla Costume and Kelly Museum was founded in 1967 and is accredited through the Museum Accreditation Program (Vic). It is the only public costume museum of its kind in Victoria. It is managed entirely by volunteer members of Benalla Historical Society Inc. and is a splendid example of how the skills of an enthusiastic and talented group can produce excellence.The museum specializes in costumes and local history, including the Ned Kelly Story.
Postal Address – PO Box 201, Benalla VIC 3671
The Society holds a culturally and historically significant collection of books, documents, photographs, artworks, textiles and objects. Many of the photographs and documents are irreplaceable.
The Berwick – Pakenham Historical Society seeks to promote awareness of the history of our district’s history through the acquisition, preservation and display of historical items; recording of older residents’ knowledge; and undertaking research, publications and displays. We are a member of the Royal Historical Society of Victoria.
Postal Address – PO Box 442, Pakenham VIC 3810
Birchip Historical Museum – a museum in a former courthouse, with small farming artefacts, domestic and household utensils, sport, music and leisure items, war memorials, family research, newspaper and photo archives.