Evandale is situated in the Australian state of Tasmania, on the South Esk River 20 km south of Launceston and 5 km from the main highway and Launceston Airport.
Originally established as a military post in 1811, it was known variously as Collins Hill, Patersons Plains, Gordon Plains, and Morven before the town’s name was changed to Evandale in 1836 in honour of Tasmania’s first Surveyor-General, G.W. Evans. It was declared a municipality in 1865.
Evandale is a National Trust classified Georgian village, popular with tourists because of its many Georgian buildings.
The Evandale History Society is a volunteer society with a small dedicated membership. The Society was established in 1991 with the aim of preserving the written, photographic and oral history of Evandale, and the surrounding areas of Nile, Deddington, Morven and Western Junction.
The Bomber Command Commemorative Association (Victoria) exists to ensure, in perpetuity, the continuance of the memory of those Australians, and particularly the Victorians, who served in RAF Bomber Command during the Second World War.
Housed in the old Boolarra Primary School, the aims and objectives of the society are to collect, record and display the history of Boolarra and district, and to foster historical interest and knowledge. Photographic collection, static displays of memorabilia and a small library of history books. Meetings are held on the 3rd Tuesday of every month, featuring guest speakers.
Situated in the Old Court House built in 1890, the Boort Museum – Historical Society specialises in family histories with many photographs, and the preservation of historical documents and artifacts.
Formed in 1963, the Society holds local history materials including photographs, newspapers, books, journals, manuscripts, maps, oral and family histories. It holds monthly meetings with speakers, and conducts a variety of tours including that of Box Hill Cemetery. Information on tours can be found on the Box Hill Historical Society website.
Suburbs or towns: Box Hill; Bennetswood; Burwood; Mont Albert; Surrey Hills
Catalogue records online:
Whitehorse Manningham Local History Database — http://www.localhist.wev.vic.gov.au/
Picture Victoria — http://www.picturevictoria.vic.gov.au/
The Bright & District Historical Society has a research collection available at their Bright Railway Station museum. Local tours and special events.
Postal Address – PO Box 265, Bright, VIC 3741
The purpose of Club is to further the interests of members in the study, research and knowledge of antiques and other collectibles. Most members reside in metropolitian Melbourne. Meetings are held at St Leonard’s Uniting Church Hall, New St, Brighton.
Since our founding in 1963, we have been working to collect and preserve items and information connected to the history and heritage of Brighton, Victoria.
Located in the Bayside Arts and Cultural Centre (Old Town Hall), the BHS is home to an extensive and diverse collection, including photos, documents, maps, art, artefacts and a large costume collection of State significance.
Image: Bayside Arts & Cultural Centre/Old Brighton Town Hall. This is where the Brighton Historical Society is located along with the Bayside Art Gallery, the Brighton Theatre Company and the Brighton Art Society.
The Broadford and District Historical Society covers the districts of Broadford, Strath Creek, Reedy Creek, Tyaak, Sunday Creek, Glenaroua, Flowerdale, Glenburnie, Dry Creek, Sugarloaf Creek, Clonbinane and Tallarook.
The Society was formed in 1968 with the aim of fostering historical interests and knowledge of this district, but exclusively of this district. We protect local historic buildings and collect and preserve items and records of historic interest. We run a small museum and conduct genealogical research.
The Brookton & Districts Historical Society manages the Brookton Museum & Heritage Centre which is housed in the original Police Station and Quarters building (pictured ). The Police Station, built in 1913 using locally made bricks, closed in 1980 when the Police moved to a new building. The Historical Society, which was formed in 1976, was looking for a permanent home. With the assistance of the Shire Council took possession of the building in 1984 and opened the Museum in March 1986.
The collection includes extensive Archives and Oral Histories which are available for family research. The exhibitions are changed on a regular basis and reflect the lives of the people who have lived in the district, businesses, sporting and community groups. The Charge Room/Office of the building houses a permanent exhibition which tells the story of the history of the Police Station and the Police Officers who served in the building.
Opening Hours: By appointment. Entry Fee: Donation.
Research Fee: Price on application
Brunswick Community History Group Inc. is a community-based organisation interested in the history of our local area (Brunswick, Victoria, Australia).
Postal Address – PO Box 8, Brunswick VIC 3056
The Buchan Heritage Group operates out of the historic butter factory, which it is currently restoring in accordance with Heritage Victoria guidelines. Special displays are also featured in the Butter Factory at Easter and Christmas. The group’s archives include audio recordings of community forums on the history of different localities in the Buchan district.
Buda Historic Home and Garden is of national significance. The house is an accredited museum featuring the intact furnishings, personal belongings and art collection of the talented Leviny family who resided there over two generations for almost 120 years.
Come to Buda and enjoy walking through the historic house where you will be transported to another era, in this Museums Australia accredited museum. Wander three acres of heritage garden featuring original plantings and structures, including the bird aviary, tennis pavilion and grape pergola, along with many original garden ornaments created by the Leviny family members
Collecting records from the past including photographs. Guest speakers, help with family research and annual Australia Day celebrations, which include unveiling of heritage plaques recognising the local families who made the district what it is today.
The Society promotes the study, collection and preservation of the history, heritage and environment of Buninyong and the surrounding district.
Image: ‘Buninyong Town Hall, home of the Buninyong and District Historical Society’.
A small group of interested persons in late 2011 decided to establish a group that would collate and preserve the local history of our area.
The Bunyip Historical Society’s home is at the Bunyip Hall and located in what is colloquially known as the “RSL room”. We do not open to the public as yet, but is in our future plans.
Postal Address – PO Box 126, Bunyip, VIC 3815
Camberwell Historical Society Inc. is a Volunteer organization whose purposes are to foster historical interest and knowledge, to compile and keep historical records of the district, to promote the interchange of information among its members by lectures, discussions, excursions and other activities, to facilitate liaison with other history groups in the district and to participate in community projects.
We are affiliated with the Royal Historical Society of Victoria.
The Society holds five general meetings annually, arranges four excursions and produces flyers for forthcoming events.
Volunteer based, non-profit organisation dedicated to Camperdown & district history in the south west of Victoria, Australia.
Postal Address – PO Box 243 Camperdown, VIC 3260
The Canterbury History Group is an active community group that collects, preserves and presents historical material in the Melbourne suburb of Canterbury.
Postal Address – 142 Canterbury Road, Canterbury VIC 3126