A collection of photographs, firearms, gold nugget replicas and local history with a genealogy research section.
Worsley Cottage Museum, an 1894 stone cottage, is the home of the society. The collection includes domestic items and artefacts from the era, outdoor displays and a cottage garden. There is also an 1840 slab and daub pioneer hut with wooden shingle roof. Research facilities are also available.
Postal Address – PO Box 265 Maryborough 3465
Hours: Tues/Thurs 10am-12noon & Sun 2pm -4pm
We are a combined museum and history centre.
Many thousands of artefacts and records relating to the district from 1840 to present day form the collection which is housed in the former Maldon Market House. The Maldon Market House is listed on the Victorian Heritage Register. The museum has many displays that present a fascinating insight into the history and heritage of the district and the archives provide a valuable research resource.
The Maldon Vintage Machinery & Museum houses a wonderful display of vintage machinery and has evolved into a fabulous museum with artifacts from the region and afield. Items from Gold mining. the industrial Revolution, Fire Fighting, Farming to the Home.
The museum is ran by volunteers and members. We aim to open on the times listed below, but things do pop up from time-to-time. It is best that you give us a call first, particularly if you are travelling some distance to get to us. We can be contacted on 03 5472 2202.
Sundays: 2nd Sunday of the Month 10AM-4PM
Collects and records local history of Inglewood district. Have several local history publications for sale. Research early district pioneers for a fee. Hold court re-enactments for tourists and locals by arrangement.
The society was established in 1984 and is dedicated to preserving, collecting and researching the history of Avoca and the surrounding district.
The headquarters of the Society is an historic building at 85 High Street, Avoca, which was the Avoca Court House from 1859 to 1979. It now contains a local history & family history resource centre containing thousands of documents, photographs, maps, microfilm of local newspapers & rate books, artifacts, etc., pertaining to the localities in the Avoca district.
Postal Address PO Box 24 Avoca VIC 3467
In 1863 the Newstead Court of Petty Sessions was built to the design of colonial architect John James Clark.
In February 1986 a group of interested people met and formed the Newstead & District Historical Society Inc.
In 1987 the Society applied through the then Shire of Newstead to the Department formerly named Conservation, Forests & Lands for the use of the old courthouse as a venue. The application was successful and since then members have carried out a great deal of work both in restoring and maintaining the building as well as collecting and conserving the history of the area. Our building is unique in that no alterations or additions have been done to it.
Preservation of our mechanical heritage& working old machineryincluding tractors and farm equipment, but not limited to.
The Castlemaine Historical Society was formed in 1965 to study, record and promote the historical heritage of Castlemaine and District. It operated for many years from temporary premises in various locations. In 1996 the Society was granted a lease to its present home in the historic Former Court House.
Meetings (with interesting guest speakers), exhibitions, a monthly newsletter, guided tours, the development, cataloguing and maintenance of an historic archive collection, indexing of records and the provision of a research service are the major activities of the members.
Archives held by the Society include early directories, voters lists, local newspaper index and some records and indexes concerning mining leases, rates, schools, churches and cemeteries.
Postal Address – PO Box 655, Castlemaine 3450
Please note: private research of our archives is not possible
The Museum is housed in the former Warehouse (c.1860) of contractors Nichol and Wallace.
The redeveloped Nichol and Wallace building, now known as The Warehouse, to reflect it’s 19th century history, reopened in 2014 as a Hub housing the Museum, the Library, the Visitor information Centre, the Hepburn Shire Service Centre as well as event and meeting spaces.
The Castlemaine Pioneers & Old Residents’ Association (P&ORA) held its first meeting on 17 March 1880 following some informal meetings amongst like-minded gentlemen who were keen to form an organisation to support one another in times of need and to enhance the society they lived in.
One of the early rules states ‘that the organisation will collect, store, preserve and promote the area’s local history.
The P&ORA is not a Historical Society as such, but we do own a lot of historical ‘stuff’ as past members were reluctant to throw anything out.
Opening Hours – Every Wednesday between 10am-3pm
Buda Historic Home and Garden is of national significance. The house is an accredited museum featuring the intact furnishings, personal belongings and art collection of the talented Leviny family who resided there over two generations for almost 120 years.
Come to Buda and enjoy walking through the historic house where you will be transported to another era, in this Museums Australia accredited museum. Wander three acres of heritage garden featuring original plantings and structures, including the bird aviary, tennis pavilion and grape pergola, along with many original garden ornaments created by the Leviny family members
Eaglehawk Heritage Society Inc was formed to preserve the history and heritage of the area. It provides a museum and research facilities within an historic Eaglehawk building.
Museum and archives pertaining to horticulture, granite and families.
Image: Harcourt ANA Hall, built 1911, the of Harcourt Valley Heritage & Tourist Centre
Wedderburn is is located 225 km north west of Bendigo and within the Loddon Shire. We have over 33,000 digitised records in our database covering Wedderburn and surrounding towns within the shire. Our digital records include over 100 audio tapes of past presentations given by locals talking about their early years in the district. Selected records and documents can be copied to a USB memory stick for visitors to take away with them. Further digitizing will continue throughout 2020.
The Society holds a culturally and historically significant collection of books, documents, photographs, artworks, textiles and objects. Many of the photographs and documents are irreplaceable.