We are a varied group of people with a shared interest in understanding and preserving the history of Heidelberg and surrounding suburbs. This includes helping to provide a place for the accumulation of objects and documents that add to the district’s story. We want people to be able to find historic artefacts and information in the future. We want to make sure that these materials are not lost.
Our expertise in history varies greatly. Many (perhaps most) of us have a general interest and have learnt as we went along. Some have skills gained from previous work and study. Others are serious students of history, including post graduate students. Everyone is welcome and everyone’s contribution is appreciated.
We need members to assist in a wide range of ways. Visit our website to see how you can get involved.
The American Ex-Servicemen’s Association is a social organization formed for the purpose of promoting the welfare of American Ex-Servicemen and women in Australia and to secure better relations between Americans and the Australian Community. We join together to enjoy comradery and remember those who have served our home country
The American Ex-Servicemen’s Association was started in March 1946 by a group of American Service personnel who emigrated to Australia.
The Friends of St Kilda Cemetery Inc, have an interest in promoting the conservation and appreciation of the St Kilda Cemetery as a place of remembrance, of historic importance and of natural beauty. We conduct regular tours, research and publish many of the stories that can be told of the many pioneers of the settlement of Melbourne, and who are buried there.
Funding was obtained from the Victorian Multicultural Commission in 2005 to establish The Australian Lebanese Historical Society of Victoria. ALHSV was incorporated on July 7 2005 and formally launched at the Royal Historical Society of Victoria, Melbourne, on 4 October 2006.
We welcome as members all who have an interest in the ALHSV goals and activities.
The ALHSV is run by a Council with elections held bi-annually.
We aim to…
- Foster research, writing and exhibitions on Lebanese heritage, culture and history in Victoria.
- Identify and record materials related to Lebanese migration and settlement in Victoria.
- Promote the study and publication of the contributions of the Lebanese Community to Australian society.
- Liaise with mainstream collecting and displaying bodies such as museums, libraries, archival resource centres and cultural organisations.
- Build understanding of their cultural heritage among the Australian-Lebanese Community of Victoria.
- Sponsor and develop applications for projects in support of the above.
Please Note: The Preston Historical Society no longer operates. The resources are now held by Darebin Libraries. Contact 1300 655 355
The Preston Historical Society was established in 1965 and held local history, object and photographic collections.
To conduct research into the history of Kew, study its records, contact descendents of early Kew residents, bring together those who are interested in Kew Histroy at our monthly meetings. We provide a window display in the Kew Library and collect items including photos, paperwork and objects of signifcance to Kew.
The aim of the Balwyn Historical Society is to facilitate and promote an interest in the history of Balwyn and nearby areas. Its objectives are to:
- Organise speakers on historical subjects and related community interests
- Publish a regular newsletter
- Encourage historical research
- Collect and organise documents and photographs and make them available for research
- Display historical photographs and documents
- Conduct events and excursions to places of historical interest
- Exchange information and work with other historical societies
Suburbs or towns: Balwyn; Balwyn North; Deepdene; Greythorn
Located Rieschieks Reserve, Victoria St Doncaster, Schramm’s Cottage, historical artefacts and museum display. Orchard machinery display.
The society operates the Local History Centre at the 1860 police residence at 728 Main Road, Eltham. Open by appointment.
The Hawthorn Historical Society was established to foster historical interests, to collect and preserve items of historical interest, to compile a historical record of the district and to work in association with the National Trust (Victoria), Heritage Victoria and Hawthorn Library.
The Canterbury History Group is an active community group that collects, preserves and presents historical material in the Melbourne suburb of Canterbury.
Postal Address – 142 Canterbury Road, Canterbury VIC 3126
Formed in 1963, the Society holds local history materials including photographs, newspapers, books, journals, manuscripts, maps, oral and family histories. It holds monthly meetings with speakers, and conducts a variety of tours including that of Box Hill Cemetery. Information on tours can be found on the Box Hill Historical Society website.
Suburbs or towns: Box Hill; Bennetswood; Burwood; Mont Albert; Surrey Hills
Catalogue records online:
The Collingwood Historical Society has as its area of interest the former City of Collingwood, that is, the suburbs now known as Abbotsford, Clifton Hill, and Collingwood in Victoria, Australia.
Collingwood Historical Society had its beginnings in the 1970s as a local interest group in the former City of Collingwood. The Society:
- Promotes public awareness of our local history.
- Promotes the conservation of Collingwood’s heritage places.
- Organises events such as talks, displays and history walks.
- Collects historical material relating to Collingwood, Clifton Hill and Abbotsford.
- Records history in the form of photos, oral history tapes, publications, and electronic resources.
Camberwell Historical Society Inc. is a Volunteer organization whose purposes are to foster historical interest and knowledge, to compile and keep historical records of the district, to promote the interchange of information among its members by lectures, discussions, excursions and other activities, to facilitate liaison with other history groups in the district and to participate in community projects.
We are affiliated with the Royal Historical Society of Victoria.
The Society holds five general meetings annually, arranges four excursions and produces flyers for forthcoming events.
The Coburg Historical Society is a non-profit community-based organisation dedicated to researching and preserving the history and historic buildings of Coburg.