The European occupation of Heyfield dates from James Macfarlane’s Heyfield run of 1844. After his death it was held for a time by the Firebraces, before being purchased in 1866 by James Tyson. He referred to it as his “Cabbage Patch”. Heyfield has a strong pastoral, dairying and timber history. The collection covers Heyfield and surround districts of Seaton, Glenmaggie, Coongulla, Glenfalloch and Licola in the former shire of Maffra, and Nambrok / Denison and Wandocka, plus Cowwarr in the former shire of Rosedale.