History Council of Victoria

history council of victoria logo.jpg
239 A'Beckett Street Melbourne
Contact Name
Alicia Cerreto (Executive Officer)

The History Council of Victoria Incorporated (HCV) is the peak body for history in the Australian state of Victoria. Its vision is to connect Victorians with history and to inspire engagement with the past, their identity and the world today.

The HCV was formed as an advisory body in 2001 and incorporated in 2003. It comprises representatives from cultural institutions and heritage bodies; history teachers and curriculum advisors; academic and professional historians; and local, Indigenous, community and specialist history organisations.

The HCV delivers a number of accessible and well-received history-focused initiatives. These include:

    • History Roadshow
      This program delivers curriculum enrichment sessions for VCE history students and teachers in regional Victoria . The program is funded by the Strategic Partnership Program of the state government’s Department of Education and Training.
    • Making Public Histories
      This seminar series explores issues and approaches in making public histories. The program  is being offered jointly by HCV, Monash University and the Old Treasury Building, with sponsorship from the School of Philosophical, Historical and International Studies at Monash University and also from Monash University Publishing.
    • Annual Lecture
      Since 2004, the lecture has been delivered by eminent and respected authorities.
  • Projects such as Drought Stories (a spoken and visual history of recent drought in Victoria, recording the experience of drought-affected communities up to 2010) and One Place, Many Stories (a free online resource designed for teachers and middle to upper primary students as a way of engaging children in the history of Victoria).
  • Since 2015, the HCV has been pleased to sponsor the Years 9 and 10 category of the Historical Fiction Competition organised by the History Teachers’ Association of Victoria.

 

Rating
Featured/Unfeatured
Claimed/Unclaimed
former plenty uniting church.jpg
27 Howell Road, Plenty, Vic. 3090 21.47 km

Plenty Historical Society Inc was formed in February 2001 and comprises a group of people keen to create and nurture an active and sustainable organisation that is assertive in preserving the unique natural and historical environment and culture of Plenty and district in complement with Nillumbik Shire Council’s Heritage Overlay.

Image: Former Plenty Uniting (Methodist) Church building which has recently been relocated to the Plenty Heritage Park, Memorial Drive, Plenty, by the Major Roads Projects Authority (MRPA), a section of VicRoads, as a result of the need to move it from its former site because of major roadworks being undertaken. MRPA acquired the building from the Uniting Church when they acquired the land for road construction. MRPA is donating the building to the Plenty Historical Society Inc. once renovations and significant other works are completed. The building will then become the new home of the Plenty Historical Society inc. It will be some time before the Society gains access to the building, but we are most grateful that firstly our efforts to save the building from possible demolition and have it relocated to the Heritage Park and eventually acquire the church building have been worthwhile.

The church building has been assessed as historical significant on a local level, for its long association with religious community gatherings and activities in the Plenty farming area. It should be seen as a locally significant representative of the Methodist revival of the 1920s, in which rural home missionaries played an important and distinctive role in sustaining local religious communities. Methodism was a Christian sect originating in England from the teachings of Wesley, born out of concern in the 19th century that the established church ‘had little or no desire for the salvation of the masses’ (Benson 1935:8) As a form of ‘social Christianity”\’, it emphasised missionary work among the poor, workers, and remote communities. It was a powerful force in educating the working class and evangelising its moral code. Travelling preachers and lay helpers drawn from its own ranks thus quickly multiplied and chapels were erected in centres of population predominantly using funds raised from its congregations, The Home Mission, established in 1875 to spread Methodism throughout the remote communities of the British Empire, trained and deployed ‘home missionaries’ who were the ‘shock-troops’ of the church. Their activity made Methodism, despite its relative youth, a strong presence in the colonies and the dominions, and Methodists regularly ranked among the main religious groups in new Victorian settler Communities

The former chapel is locally significant as one of a small number of buildings representing the establishment of the township of Plenty in the 1920s based around its small farming community. Plenty district developed following the arrival of the railway, even though the railway was some distance away. It developed as a community of small farmers. Plenty was then a developing orchard and farming district. Its school opened in 1922, with 29 pupils. The post office opened in 1923. The 1920s, when the church was built was thus an important period of growth in the history of Plenty.

Methodist services were first held at Plenty in 1925, under the auspices of the Diamond Creek Methodist Home Mission Station, which had six churches throughout the Diamond Valley. Other Churches were at Diamond Creek, Arthurs Creek, Cottles Bridge, Hurstbridge and Wattle Glen. In 1925, the Victorian Methodist Church encouraged the building of new country churches by offering £50 to communities who could raise £100. The Methodists of Plenty took advantage of the offer, and their wooden chapel was opened in December 1925. Within five years of opening the church was debt free. (Source: “Independent Panel Hearing Statement of Evidence on Former Methodist Church” January 2012)

Contact Name
Alan Pearce, Honorary Treasurer and Public Officer
402 Clarke Rd, Deanside 3336 21.8 km

Preserving Australian and World Wide Early Ways of Life and Farming Heritage. Archiving collection, preparing static displays, restoration of exhibits for public display, creating walkways and BBQ areas, picket fences.

Contact Name
Mario Cachia, President
Capture.PNG
15 Mountain Hwy, Wantirna VIC, Australia 23.22 km

Open Tues & Fri 10am – 3pm

Postal Address – PO Box 6007 Wantirna Mall VIC 3152

Founded in 1996 as the Victorian Jazz Archive (VJA), the Australian Jazz Museum (AJM) came about from the strongly voiced desire to preserve Australia’s jazz heritage, and for it to be readily accessible to musicians, collectors, donors and others throughout Australia.

In 2003 VJA was accredited as a Museum by Museums Australia (Victoria).  In 2014 the VJA changed its name to Australian Jazz Museum – to reflect the Museum’s Australia-wide mission, collection and membership.

PO Box 139, Dingley village VIC 23.44 km

A small group of residents committed to researching the history of Dingley Village. Aims to collect documents, photographs etc. We have currently received funding to amploy an author to write the history of Dingley.

Contact Name
Marion Harriden, President
5 Hill Crest Grove, Springvale VIC 3171 23.63 km

Postal Address: PO Box 372, Noble Park VIC 3174

 

 

Contact Name
Robyn Robie
Capture.PNG
Main Road, Kangaroo Ground VIC, 3097 Australia 24.25 km

Opening Times
Thursdays 10am-12noon
Sundays by appointment only

The Andrew Ross Museum was officially opened in March 1993 and through the hard work and dedication of its volunteers is now fully accredited with Museums Australia.

The Museum’s namesake, Andrew Ross, was the first schoolmaster in the district as well as a keen recorder of contemporary life and he left a remarkable written legacy to the Kangaroo Ground community. Our exhibitions explore the life and times of Andrew Ross and also Kangaroo Ground, the land and its people from pre-European time to the present.

We maintain collections that include the old schoolhouse building that the museum is house in, artefacts of local significance, a photographic collection and an extensive archive of documents relating to the district. Publications relating to local history are also available.

 

PO BOX 67 WARRANDYTE VIC 3113 Australia 24.8 km
Contact Name
WARRANDYTE HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Cottage photo (new)_crop_enhanced.jpg
10 Nillumbik Square, Diamond Creek 3089 24.84 km

The Society operates an historic cottage erected in 1865. It holds a large collection of historic photographs, and features information on local gold mines.

Contact Name
Jean Verso - President
11 Ripley Court, Ringwood 3135 25.77 km

The Ringwood Historical Society exists to collect, research and disseminate information relating to the history of Ringwood and its environs. Monthly meetings with speakers, local books, photographic displays.

Contact Name
Russ Haines, President
yarrambat historical society.jpg
722 Yan Yean Rd, Yarrambat VIC 3091, Australia 25.91 km

The Yarrambat Historical Society Inc was formed in 1990 with the mission “To preserve and perpetuate the history of the area and to promote and encourage social interchange between people of all ages who share and interest in our cultural heritage”

The Yarrambat Heritage Museum is by far the largest project undertaken by the Society. The Society took over the site in early 2001 and over the ensuing years has developed the site into an operational Heritage Museum. A grant from the Victorian State Government enabled the relocation of the original 1878 Primary School classroom to the site in 2002.

Contact Name
Brendon Smith, Secretary
Capture.PNG
440 Grand Boulevard Craigieburn 3064 26.99 km

The current history group was reformed in 1998. We have never had a permanent premises or museum to store our records or welcome visitors and meetings were held in local community centres. 

In 2016 the Hume Council allocated rental space for CHIG at the Newbury Centre in Craigieburn where we meet, work on our collection and hold our monthly meetings. CHIG relies greatly on our website as our main link with the local and wider community.

Our main activities, aside from collecting/researching and storing historical information on Craigieburn and the surrounding district, are keeping photographs of the changing face of the area, communicating with local community groups, schools and other relevant history organisations. We record  oral histories of local residents and those with connections to Craigieburn who make contact with us. 

375 Eltham- Yarra Glen Road Kangaroo Ground Vic.3074 27.08 km

Research of over 1000 WWI, Boer War soldiers and Nurses of the Shire of Eltham ( & Nillumbik), Remembrance Day& Anzac Day Services . Organising landscape works & suggestions for Master Plan.

Contact Name
President and Treasurer: Anna Pelling
59 Loyola Rd Werribee VIC 3030 Australia 27.19 km
Contact Name
Werribee Family History Group
PO Box 118 Werribee PO Box 118 3030 Australia 27.49 km
Contact Name
LANCE PRITCHARD
PO Box 1092 Werribee Vic 3030 Australia 27.49 km
Contact Name
Capt Allan Stirling JP
Croydon, VIC 3136 28.61 km
Contact Name
Geoff Arnott, President
ambulance-vehicle-003.jpg
1/55 Barry Street, Bayswater VIC, Australia 28.86 km

The museum is located at Factory 1 / 55 Barry Street, Bayswater. It is open for individual, group or club visits by appointment. Vehicles, memorabilia and retired ambulance personnel are also available for public and corporate events and displays.

 0419 619 430  

Capture.JPG
39 Clow Street, Dandenong Victoria 3175, Australia 29.95 km

Our mission is to collect, document, research, preserve and make available to the wider community for their enjoyment and education items that show the development of Dandenong and District from early settlement to present day.

unnamed.png
Chelsea Activity Hub, 3-5 Showers avenue, Chelsea 29.97 km

The Chelsea and District Historical Society is a not-for-profit community organisation founded in 1963 to encourage an interest in and an enthusiasm for the history of Chelsea and surrounding areas. The Society is run by volunteers and welcomes new members at any time.

Current address: 3-5 Showers Ave Chelsea 3196
Postal address: PO Box 377, Chelsea 3196

The Chelsea and District Historical Society can be found us on Facebook, Instagram and My Community Life.

Showing 101 - 120 of 215 results