Kastellorizian Association of Victoria

Image: 1928 Kazzie Picnic, a very symbolic, traditional and annual event for the Kastellorizian community.
250 Dorcas Street, South Melbourne VIC 3205, Australia
248-250 Dorcas Street South Melbourne Victoria 3205 AU
Contact Name
Florence Livery, KAV Archivist

The Kastellorizian Association of Victoria was established in 1925 to give assistance to the fledgling Greek community of Melbourne who emigrated from the tiny island of Kastellorizo. A Brotherhood was established offering vital social, economic and cultural support and links to its members.

With recent amendments to our Constitution, our primary purpose now is to use our activities and functions as a vehicle to assist those in need in the Kastellorizian and wider Greek Community.

These activities aim to promote among Kastellorizians and their descendents in Victoria, the cultural heritage of Kastellorizo and the integration of its community into the multicultural society of the Australian community. This includes the organisation of social functions to foster continued social interaction between families and friends of Kastellorizo, the promotion of cultural activities by organising lectures, exhibitions, recitals, musical evenings etc and the promotion of academic and/or sporting excellence by awarding prizes and scholarships.

Image: 1928 Kazzie Picnic, a very symbolic, traditional and annual event for the Kastellorizian community.

Rating
Featured/Unfeatured
Claimed/Unclaimed
1009678_339556559512795_1786717618_o.jpg
Laura and Charles Ferguson Museum, Old Bakery Lane, Mentone 3194 19.07 km
0402 531 4420402 531 442

We’re a local history organisation, willing to answer any questions or comments related to Mentone, Parkdale, or Mordialloc’s local history. We work in the Old Mentone Bakery (now Laura and Charles Ferguson Historical Museum) and have interesting exhibitions, as well as interesting volunteers, waiting for you to come visit!

eltham.jpg
728 Main Road, Eltham, 3095 20.53 km

The society operates the Local History Centre at the 1860 police residence at 728 Main Road, Eltham. Open by appointment.

Contact Name
Russell Yeoman, Secretary
PO Box 106 Mitcham VIC 3132 Australia 21.06 km
Contact Name
Vicki Jones-Evans
5 Hill Crest Grove, Springvale VIC 3171 21.8 km

Postal Address: PO Box 372, Noble Park VIC 3174

 

 

Contact Name
Robyn Robie
Capture.PNG
15 Mountain Hwy, Wantirna VIC, Australia 22.55 km

Open Tues & Fri 10am – 3pm

Postal Address – PO Box 6007 Wantirna Mall VIC 3152

Founded in 1996 as the Victorian Jazz Archive (VJA), the Australian Jazz Museum (AJM) came about from the strongly voiced desire to preserve Australia’s jazz heritage, and for it to be readily accessible to musicians, collectors, donors and others throughout Australia.

In 2003 VJA was accredited as a Museum by Museums Australia (Victoria).  In 2014 the VJA changed its name to Australian Jazz Museum – to reflect the Museum’s Australia-wide mission, collection and membership.

A small group of residents committed to researching the history of Dingley Village. Aims to collect documents, photographs etc. We have currently received funding to amploy an author to write the history of Dingley.

Contact Name
Marion Harriden, President
402 Clarke Rd, Rockbank 3335 23.08 km

Preserving Australian and World Wide Early Ways of Life and Farming Heritage. Archiving collection, preparing static displays, restoration of exhibits for public display, creating walkways and BBQ areas, picket fences.

Contact Name
Mario Cachia, President
former plenty uniting church.jpg
27 Howell Road, Plenty, Vic. 3090 23.21 km

Plenty Historical Society Inc was formed in February 2001 and comprises a group of people keen to create and nurture an active and sustainable organisation that is assertive in preserving the unique natural and historical environment and culture of Plenty and district in complement with Nillumbik Shire Council’s Heritage Overlay.

Image: Former Plenty Uniting (Methodist) Church building which has recently been relocated to the Plenty Heritage Park, Memorial Drive, Plenty, by the Major Roads Projects Authority (MRPA), a section of VicRoads, as a result of the need to move it from its former site because of major roadworks being undertaken. MRPA acquired the building from the Uniting Church when they acquired the land for road construction. MRPA is donating the building to the Plenty Historical Society Inc. once renovations and significant other works are completed. The building will then become the new home of the Plenty Historical Society inc. It will be some time before the Society gains access to the building, but we are most grateful that firstly our efforts to save the building from possible demolition and have it relocated to the Heritage Park and eventually acquire the church building have been worthwhile.

The church building has been assessed as historical significant on a local level, for its long association with religious community gatherings and activities in the Plenty farming area. It should be seen as a locally significant representative of the Methodist revival of the 1920s, in which rural home missionaries played an important and distinctive role in sustaining local religious communities. Methodism was a Christian sect originating in England from the teachings of Wesley, born out of concern in the 19th century that the established church ‘had little or no desire for the salvation of the masses’ (Benson 1935:8) As a form of ‘social Christianity”\’, it emphasised missionary work among the poor, workers, and remote communities. It was a powerful force in educating the working class and evangelising its moral code. Travelling preachers and lay helpers drawn from its own ranks thus quickly multiplied and chapels were erected in centres of population predominantly using funds raised from its congregations, The Home Mission, established in 1875 to spread Methodism throughout the remote communities of the British Empire, trained and deployed ‘home missionaries’ who were the ‘shock-troops’ of the church. Their activity made Methodism, despite its relative youth, a strong presence in the colonies and the dominions, and Methodists regularly ranked among the main religious groups in new Victorian settler Communities

The former chapel is locally significant as one of a small number of buildings representing the establishment of the township of Plenty in the 1920s based around its small farming community. Plenty district developed following the arrival of the railway, even though the railway was some distance away. It developed as a community of small farmers. Plenty was then a developing orchard and farming district. Its school opened in 1922, with 29 pupils. The post office opened in 1923. The 1920s, when the church was built was thus an important period of growth in the history of Plenty.

Methodist services were first held at Plenty in 1925, under the auspices of the Diamond Creek Methodist Home Mission Station, which had six churches throughout the Diamond Valley. Other Churches were at Diamond Creek, Arthurs Creek, Cottles Bridge, Hurstbridge and Wattle Glen. In 1925, the Victorian Methodist Church encouraged the building of new country churches by offering £50 to communities who could raise £100. The Methodists of Plenty took advantage of the offer, and their wooden chapel was opened in December 1925. Within five years of opening the church was debt free. (Source: “Independent Panel Hearing Statement of Evidence on Former Methodist Church” January 2012)

Contact Name
Alan Pearce, Honorary Treasurer and Public Officer
Somerton Rd, Greenvale 3046 23.4 km
Contact Name
Helen Rolls
Capture.PNG
Main Road, Kangaroo Ground VIC, Australia 25.41 km

Opening Times
Thursdays 10am-12noon
Sundays by appointment only

The Andrew Ross Museum was officially opened in March 1993 and through the hard work and dedication of its volunteers is now fully accredited with Museums Australia.

The Museum’s namesake, Andrew Ross, was the first schoolmaster in the district as well as a keen recorder of contemporary life and he left a remarkable written legacy to the Kangaroo Ground community. Our exhibitions explore the life and times of Andrew Ross and also Kangaroo Ground, the land and its people from pre-European time to the present.

We maintain collections that include the old schoolhouse building that the museum is house in, artefacts of local significance, a photographic collection and an extensive archive of documents relating to the district. Publications relating to local history are also available.

 

PO BOX 67 WARRANDYTE VIC 3113 Australia 25.51 km
Contact Name
WARRANDYTE HISTORICAL SOCIETY
11 Ripley Court, Ringwood 3135 25.86 km

The Ringwood Historical Society exists to collect, research and disseminate information relating to the history of Ringwood and its environs. Monthly meetings with speakers, local books, photographic displays.

Contact Name
Russ Haines, President
Cottage photo (new)_crop_enhanced.jpg
10 Nillumbik Square, Diamond Creek 3089 26.31 km

The Society operates an historic cottage erected in 1865. It holds a large collection of historic photographs, and features information on local gold mines.

Contact Name
Jean Verso - President
59 Loyola Rd Werribee VIC 3030 Australia 26.49 km
Contact Name
Werribee Family History Group
PO Box 118 Werribee PO Box 118 3030 Australia 26.92 km
Contact Name
LANCE PRITCHARD
PO Box 1092 Werribee Vic 3030 Australia 26.92 km
Contact Name
Capt Allan Stirling JP
unnamed.png
Chelsea Activity Hub, 3-5 Showers avenue, Chelsea 27.66 km

The Chelsea and District Historical Society is a not-for-profit community organisation founded in 1963 to encourage an interest in and an enthusiasm for the history of Chelsea and surrounding areas. The Society is run by volunteers and welcomes new members at any time.

Current address: 3-5 Showers Ave Chelsea 3196
Postal address: PO Box 377, Chelsea 3196

The Chelsea and District Historical Society can be found us on Facebook, Instagram and My Community Life.

yarrambat historical society.jpg
722 Yan Yean Rd, Yarrambat VIC 3091, Australia 27.8 km

The Yarrambat Historical Society Inc was formed in 1990 with the mission “To preserve and perpetuate the history of the area and to promote and encourage social interchange between people of all ages who share and interest in our cultural heritage”

The Yarrambat Heritage Museum is by far the largest project undertaken by the Society. The Society took over the site in early 2001 and over the ensuing years has developed the site into an operational Heritage Museum. A grant from the Victorian State Government enabled the relocation of the original 1878 Primary School classroom to the site in 2002.

Contact Name
Brendon Smith, Secretary
Capture.JPG
39 Clow Street, Dandenong Victoria 3175, Australia 28.2 km

Our mission is to collect, document, research, preserve and make available to the wider community for their enjoyment and education items that show the development of Dandenong and District from early settlement to present day.

375 Eltham- Yarra Glen Road Kangaroo Ground Vic.3074 28.22 km

Research of over 1000 WWI, Boer War soldiers and Nurses of the Shire of Eltham ( & Nillumbik), Remembrance Day& Anzac Day Services . Organising landscape works & suggestions for Master Plan.

Contact Name
President and Treasurer: Anna Pelling
Showing 81 - 100 of 200 results