Kyneton Historical Society is a voluntary non-profit incorporated community organisation, comprising people from many fields committed to collecting, preserving, researching and sharing the wealth of material that is our herit5age, and for which we as members are custodians.
Formed in 1987, the society aims to preserve and promote the history and heritage of Malmsbury and surrounding districts.
Profile Image by Susan Walter
The Woodend and District Heritage Society operates a local and family history resource centre. The collection is fully indexed and relates to the Old Shire of Newham & Woodend, Ashbourne, Hesket, early Rochford, part Macedon, part Carlsruhe.
Built in 1870, the court house in Forest St was the second court building in Woodend.
It was used for criminal cases until 1964 and for coroner’s court hearings until the 1970s. Now it’s home to the Woodend & District Heritage Society.
You can find us at Woodend’s old court house every Wednesday, from February to November (10am-12.30pm and 1.30pm-4pm).
Trentham Historical Society works to preserve, and make available to the public, the history of the township of Trentham and the surrounding district including the settlements of Little Hampton, East Trentham, Spring Hill, Fern Hill and Tylden. The society publishes a quarterly newsletter and booklets from time to time and also holds an annual exhibition.
Maintains the oldest house in Romsey – Seymour Cottage. Museum with displays of local interest in former Court House. Collection of local history & family documents.
Buda Historic Home and Garden is of national significance. The house is an accredited museum featuring the intact furnishings, personal belongings and art collection of the talented Leviny family who resided there over two generations for almost 120 years.
Come to Buda and enjoy walking through the historic house where you will be transported to another era, in this Museums Australia accredited museum. Wander three acres of heritage garden featuring original plantings and structures, including the bird aviary, tennis pavilion and grape pergola, along with many original garden ornaments created by the Leviny family members
Friends of Cornish Hill are a Landcare group. Our connection with RHSV goes back to the day when Cornish Hill Reserve was saved from sale by members of the local community who realised the value of the Reserve as being historically and environmentally significant.
The Friends have been beavering away restoring the Smiths creek corridor to bring it back to what it looked like before mining ravaged the landscape.
Image: Friends of Cornish Hill working bee in June 2018
The Daylesford & District Historical Society was formed in 1964 and the Museum established in 1971.
The Museum has approximately 800 square metres of interior displays and approximately 250 square metres of covered yard and houses an large collection of local memorabilia and artefacts.
The museum has extensive archival resources that are accessible by arrangement for research to researchers and genealogists.
The Gisborne & Mount Macedon Districts Historical Society’s collection covers the localities of Cabbage Tree; Couangalt; South Gisborne; Gisborne; New Gisborne; Bullengarook; Macedon; Mount Macedon; Barringo; Cherokee; Hesket; Kerrie; & Riddells Creek.
A dedicated group of volunteer members of the Historical Society meet regulary to assist with the accessioning, conservation, filing and indexing of the collection, to assist visitors to the Court House and to attend to research enquiries received by phone, mail or email. A research fee of $25.00 per surname or topic applies.
The beautifully restored, 1858 Gisborne Court House, home of Gisborne and Mount Macedon Districts Historical Society is open to the public each Wednesday from 10am to 4pm, when volunteers are in attendance to assist with family and local history research enquiries. The Family and Local History Resource Centre at the Court House may be opened at other times by appointment.
Collection and conservation of local and family history documents, photos, and maps.
Museum and archives pertaining to horticulture, granite and families.
Image: Harcourt ANA Hall, built 1911, the of Harcourt Valley Heritage & Tourist Centre
Preservation of our mechanical heritage& working old machineryincluding tractors and farm equipment, but not limited to.
In 1863 the Newstead Court of Petty Sessions was built to the design of colonial architect John James Clark.
In February 1986 a group of interested people met and formed the Newstead & District Historical Society Inc.
In 1987 the Society applied through the then Shire of Newstead to the Department formerly named Conservation, Forests & Lands for the use of the old courthouse as a venue. The application was successful and since then members have carried out a great deal of work both in restoring and maintaining the building as well as collecting and conserving the history of the area. Our building is unique in that no alterations or additions have been done to it.
Preservation of the history of Heathcote McIvor area, enabling stronger links to the past and transmitting this history to future generations.
We are a combined museum and history centre.
Many thousands of artefacts and records relating to the district from 1840 to present day form the collection which is housed in the former Maldon Market House. The Maldon Market House is listed on the Victorian Heritage Register. The museum has many displays that present a fascinating insight into the history and heritage of the district and the archives provide a valuable research resource.
Ballan Shire Historical Society Inc aims to collect, record and preserve the history of the people, places and events of the former Shire of Ballan, including Ballan, Gordon, Egerton, Mt Wallace, Fiskville, Blakeville, Colbrook, Morrisons and Ingliston.