Kyneton Historical Society is a voluntary non-profit incorporated community organisation, comprising people from many fields committed to collecting, preserving, researching and sharing the wealth of material that is our herit5age, and for which we as members are custodians.
The contribution by people of Irish background to Ballarat’s social, cultural and industrial development is substantial and the Ballarat and District Irish Association plans to present, celebrate, promote and enjoy this ongoing legacy
The Society promotes the study, collection and preservation of the history, heritage and environment of Buninyong and the surrounding district.
Image: ‘Buninyong Town Hall, home of the Buninyong and District Historical Society’.
The Airways Museum houses a collection of national importance that traces the development of Australia’s civil aviation airways system.
Umbrella group for the historical societies of the Dandenong Ranges.
The El Dorado Museum collection is sited in the original schoolhouse number 246 which opened in 1870. The school rooms and out-sheds house a large variety of items such as social and domestic purpose items.
Gold and tin mining relics from the Cock’s El Dorado Gold and Tin Dredge and Cock’s Pioneer sluicing are on display as well as information on various mines in the area with some photographic history of the mining from 1850 until 1950. Agricultural implements can be viewed in and around the big shed.
A Blacksmith’s shop has a fireplace, bellows, anvil, hammers and other tools, horseshoes as well as Kelly Gang replica forged armour. There are also woodworkers hand tools, saws, and mining implements. Genealogy is available from school records, cemetery records World War One records and some photos, lodge and church records, and mining records. The museum has war memorabilia ranging from helmets and medals to souvenirs and bayonets.
Children’s treasure hunt activities are available with some hands on items to try out as well. They can have a go at gold panning and keep any gold that they discover.
Friends of Cornish Hill are a Landcare group. Our connection with RHSV goes back to the day when Cornish Hill Reserve was saved from sale by members of the local community who realised the value of the Reserve as being historically and environmentally significant.
The Friends have been beavering away restoring the Smiths creek corridor to bring it back to what it looked like before mining ravaged the landscape.
Image: Friends of Cornish Hill working bee in June 2018
A collection of photographs, firearms, gold nugget replicas and local history with a genealogy research section.
Local history society and museum and shop open daily in summer and four days during the rest of the year.
Kilmore Historical Society’s Research Centre is located in the Kilmore Court House. The collection has an extensive biographical and photographic register of information, including resources on local schools, railways and buildings.[caption id="attachment_2494" align="alignnone" width="792"] Post Office, Courthouse and Police Barracks[/caption]
Themes in the Maffra Sugar Beet Museum include the rise and fall of the sugar beet industry in Maffra 1896-1948 , pre-European occupation of the area, early European exploration and settlement of central Gippsland and the development of agriculture and agricultural products.
The society has an extensive collection of photographs held in the Maffra Public Library. The Maffra Public Library also holds the “Flo Pearce” document collection. Both of these collections are catalogued and may be viewed during normal library hours.
The Military History Group Inc. is based in Victoria, Australia, and is an organisation dedicated to the restoration and preservation of military vehicles and their heritage.
The MHG Inc. attends various military vehicle displays throughout Victoria and NSW. Vehicles from WW2, Korea, Malaya, Borneo, Vietnam and current conflicts are represented.
Preserving local history about the Aboriginal Protectorate, agricultural pioneers, river crossing/irrigation history, war years, POW and internee camps, Murchison Meteorite 1969, sporting organisations history.
Nhill has an archive in the Nhill Historical Centre, with holdings which include: early settlers list; district schools information; oral history archival material; Clydesdale Breeders yearbooks, 1880-1940; hospital history and photographs; local history books and magazines; Nhill Free Press newspaper, 1882-1999; Tatiara Mail newspaper, 1880-1887; research files, scrapbooks, cemetery records; Lowan Shire Council Valuation and Rate books; Lowan Waterworks Trust books; Lowan Electricity Supply records; numerous minute books and records of business and organisations; sports – football, cricket, tennis, golf, racing, etc; Nhill A & P Society; service clubs; Scouts; Lodges; Nhill Brass Band.
For research enquires please email: email@example.com
The Port Phillip Pioneers Group (PPPG) was formed in May 1970, as a special interest group of The Genealogical Society of Victoria (GSV).
The original purpose was to bring together members of the GSV who could establish direct lineal descent from Pioneers who settled or were born in the Port Phillip District of the Colony of New South Wales (the present State of Victoria) prior to 1 July 1851.
The Group became a separate Incorporated Association in April 1991 and membership of the GSV is no longer required. Linkage with the GSV is maintained as an inaugural Member Group.
The aims and objectives of PPG are:
- To perpetuate the memory of, and create a greater awareness of, the part played by the Pioneers of early settlement in the area of the present State of Victoria;
- To compile biographical and genealogical data of the Pioneers and their immediate families;
- To preserve written and printed material which illustrates aspects of Pioneer settlement in Victoria.
Formed in 1987, the society aims to preserve and promote the history and heritage of Malmsbury and surrounding districts.
Profile Image by Susan Walter