Cressy & District History Group Inc promotes the history of Cressy and district, documenting, preserving, displaying information and research.
Macarthur and District Historical Society occupies the former Court House, 31 High Street, Macarthur. Research $10. Archives – minute books, cemetery burial ledgers, photos, maps, some births and marriage records, newspapers, clubs, school and family histories.
The Society aims to collect, restore and maintain the memorabilia and records of the old gold mining town of Landsborough, founded in 1862 and named in honour of William Landsborough the explorer, the township still contains many reminders of its busy past. These include the 1862 lock-up, the 1901 Mounted Police stables, and a 130 year old school, all of which are cared for by the Historical Group.
The historical society is dedicated to keep an accurate record of the district since settlement.
The society was established in 1984 and is dedicated to preserving, collecting and researching the history of Avoca and the surrounding district.
The headquarters of the Society is an historic building at 85 High Street, Avoca, which was the Avoca Court House from 1859 to 1979. It now contains a local history & family history resource centre containing thousands of documents, photographs, maps, microfilm of local newspapers & rate books, artifacts, etc., pertaining to the localities in the Avoca district.
Postal Address PO Box 24 Avoca VIC 3467
Central Highlands Historical Association [CHHA] is a vital link in the regional history network being the umbrella association for over 30 historical societies, museums and family history organisations in the central highlands region of Victoria. CHHA continues to be an active and innovative organisation. It is represented at Local and State levels on matters of joint concern to its members.
The contribution by people of Irish background to Ballarat’s social, cultural and industrial development is substantial and the Ballarat and District Irish Association plans to present, celebrate, promote and enjoy this ongoing legacy
This Observatory, situated at Mount Pleasant in Ballarat, was established on the initiative and with the financial support of James Oddie, and was formally opened to the public in 1886. When Oddie presented the Observatory to the people of Ballarat, it became the first municipal observatory in Australia.
Opening Hours for Observatory – See Booking and Events times. All programs require a prior booking.
The aim of the society is to help people discover their family history. To have appropriate records available, with guidance in ways to research and record their history and genealogy.
The Ballarat & District Genealogical Society Inc. was formed in 1978 as a breakaway group from the Ballarat Historical Society. This move was perceived as making a distinction between local history and family history research.
Hours – Monday to Thursday only 10.00am – 4.30pm Collection includes: Family histories, references assisting local research, local histories, cemetery records, birth marriage and death records, computer access, electoral rolls, interstate records, directories.
Postal Address – PO Box Bakery Hill Mail Centre, Ballarat VIC 3354
The Ballarat Historical Society’s collection is housed in the Gold Museum, Bradshaw Street, Ballarat. It includes over 25,000 photographs, early Trade & Street Directories, the Register of Inmates for the Ballarat Benevolent Society and objects.
The collection can be searched online via the Society’s website or accessed by appointment Mon – Friday, 10.00 am – 4.00 pm. Phone 5337 1107 to make an appointment.
Accredited museum and archives. Pioneer Dinner, Open House Day. Monthly general meetings and committee meetings.
The society was formed in 1963 as a centre for local research into the early history of the town and it’s pioneer families. From modest beginnings, the organisation has grown to a membership of more than 120, with a much wider range of interests.
In 1992 the society was able to negotiate the lease of the historic Courthouse building in Gipps Street, Port Fairy, which was renamed The History Centre.
The Courthouse is one of over fifty buildings in Port Fairy classified by the National Trust as essential to the heritage of Australia and which must be preserved. It was built in 1859, with the portico added in 1869, and a further three rooms at the rear in 1874, to make the building as it is today. At the time of construction, it was the only Courthouse in the Western District of Victoria, and housed sittings of the Supreme Court and County Courts as well as General Sessions. It remained in use until 1988, when its last function, as a Licensing Court, was transferred to Warrnambool.
Much of the work of the society involves the development of the Courthouse as a museum and archives, and includes participation in the Museum Accreditation Program with which we have been accredited since 1998. The main courtroom houses a display of the original court furniture, with figures in costume. Five other rooms contain both permanent and temporary exhibitions on themes such as the early pioneers of the district, the whaling era in Port Fairy, local shipping and wrecks along the coast.
Profile Photograph: Port Fairy Historical Society Museum and Archives building by Peter Grenfell (2018)
The Society promotes the study, collection and preservation of the history, heritage and environment of Buninyong and the surrounding district.
Image: ‘Buninyong Town Hall, home of the Buninyong and District Historical Society’.