We collect local history, photos, small memorabilia, and preserve them for the future.
Description: Collection and preservation of local history, and changing displays at the Heritage Centre.
Suburbs or towns: Numurkah; Wunghnu; Katunga; Drumanure; Dunbulbalane; Baulkamaugh; Strathmerton
The Lorne Historical Society had its origins in the old Library Hall on the corner of Smith and William streets, the site of the current police station. Unfortunately, the collection of artefacts and memorabilia vanished, perhaps into a private collection.
The new society held its first meeting at the Lorne School on Tuesday, August 5, 1969. The 16 members began the documentation of our current historical records, photographs and memorabilia. Their work and research can be found in our publications, including the information published by Keith Cecil, Jean and Malcolm Graham. The photographic collection began through the tireless work of Joan and Graham Wheal, Keith Cecil and Jean and Malcolm Graham.
The society was housed in a shop at the original Cumberland Guest House and at the Water Board building after it moved in 1989.
Jean and Malcolm Graham began in 1989 the recording of important Lorne events and stories, featured in the Geelong Advertiser until Malcolm sadly died in 2001. This amazing volume of work is recorded digitally and is available through the society. It is a lasting testimony to his dedication, hard work and love of Lorne and its history.
In 1999 the society moved to its current location at the Fig Tree Community House, 16 Mountjoy Parade. The collection may be viewed on the first Sunday of the month, or by appointment. Contact Lorne Historical Society if you’d like more information. You can also find publications about Lorne and The Great Ocean Road and also photographs and other merchandise from our online shop.
The Lorne Historical Society’s rooms are open each Sunday between 10am and midday. Please join us on the first Sunday of every month for morning tea.
Tyntyndyer (Tyntynder in modern spelling) homestead is in the Swan Hill irrigation district, 16 km north of Swan Hill in north-west Victoria. The heritage-listed homestead was built in 1846 by Andrew & Peter Beveridge who took up the Tyntyndyer pastoral run. The pastoral run was the first European settlement in the Swan Hill district.
The Tyntyndyer Plains, stretching along the Victorian banks of the mighty Milloo (Murray River) was home to the Watti Watti people for thousands of years. Their homes were built of bark and mud, mia-mias and they farmed the land. Native grass seeds and nardoo were harvested and ground for flour, stubble was burnt and lush regrowth attracted grazing stock – kangaroos and emu. Fish nets were woven from the fibrous roots of reeds and quandong, the native fruit, was harvested and dried. reeds, for spears, and possum skins were traded for green stone, used for axes. Major Mitchell arrived at ‘Matakupa’ in 1836 and named the area Swan Hill. In 1846 the Beveridge brothers travelled from Kilmore by bullock dray and settled on 300 square miles of land. The property retained the name of these rich grass plains and became known as Tyntyndyer Station.
The construction of the homestead, of drop log cabin cabin of Murray Pine, was commenced in that year. Bricked over in 1850, with had made bricks, this has been classified as the first brick veneer in Australia. The homestead was completed in 1854 with a solid brick extension and in 1860 roof iron, brought from Glasgow, was placed over the stringy bark shingles.
The homestead, furnishings, collections and artifacts have all remained intact and now offer an excellent, authentic and fascinating insight into early colonial days.
- Wonderful inventions that remained at Tyntyndyer from the early settlers
- Cellar – filled with an amazing collection of Aboriginal artifacts and curios from indigenous cultures around the world – protected under the custodianship of the Watti Watti people
- Chock log cabin kitchen – floor to ceiling full of bric-a-brac and pioneer memorabilia (1854)
- Enter the schoolhouse and tutor room (1854) and see the assorted collections of sewing samplers, school work and early photographic equipment
- “Tyntyndyer” is the Aboriginal name of the area and means “song of the birds” and true to it’s name the quiet gardens and huge trees which shade the homestead today play host to a variety of beautiful native birds (garden established in the mid 1800s with assistance from Baron Von Mueller)
Established in 1956, the Williamstown Historical Society was established to highlight the diverse activities of the inhabitants of this historic seaport. The collection includes photographs, paintings, artefacts, models and sporting memorabilia.
The purpose of the Williamstown Historical Society and Museum is to preserve the history of Williamstown, Newport and Spotswood for future generations through the collection, discovery, identification, study, understanding, classification, documentation, preservation, exhibition and interpretation of objects and documents of historical significance relating to Williamstown, Newport and Spotswood.
Torquay Museum Without Walls preserves the Torquay region’s past, shares the stories and connects people with history in meaningful ways, for today and for tomorrow.
We provide a wonderful resource for researcher’s of the area that is updated regularly as the information is collected.
The American Ex-Servicemen’s Association is a social organization formed for the purpose of promoting the welfare of American Ex-Servicemen and women in Australia and to secure better relations between Americans and the Australian Community. We join together to enjoy comradery and remember those who have served our home country
The American Ex-Servicemen’s Association was started in March 1946 by a group of American Service personnel who emigrated to Australia.
The City of South Perth Historical Society was established in 1989 to stimulate public interest in the history of the district of South Perth, to encourage historical research and publication, and to promote the designation and preservation of historic sites, buildings and stories.
The Society is incorporated.
The Forrest and District Historical Society is committed to researching and maintaining the history of the township and district.
Established officially in 2006, the Forrest and District Historical Society has been meeting regularly. Events are routinely held where experts present on specific topics, or where the group are further exploring the history of the region. The society has an immense library of books, photos, agricultural machinery and various other items that are stored for preservation and information sharing purposes. Newsletters are sent out, and can be found at the Forrest General Store along with some books for sale.
The Cohuna and District Historical Society was formed in April 1970, our Society has grown to become a treasured resource for the local community and historians alike. All run by dedicated and enthusiastic volunteers, there are three main parts to our Society:
- Archives Centre (the brick building)
- Museum (the old Scots Church)
- Trash and Treasure (the old Scots Hall)
“Mallow House”, built 1916, is the home of Koo Wee Rup Swamp Historical Society, incorporating a museum, etc. Collects and preserves the history of Koo Wee Rup and the Koo Wee Rup Swamp.
P.O Box 147, Koo Wee Rup, 3981