The Lorne Historical Society had its origins in the old Library Hall on the corner of Smith and William streets, the site of the current police station. Unfortunately, the collection of artefacts and memorabilia vanished, perhaps into a private collection.
The new society held its first meeting at the Lorne School on Tuesday, August 5, 1969. The 16 members began the documentation of our current historical records, photographs and memorabilia. Their work and research can be found in our publications, including the information published by Keith Cecil, Jean and Malcolm Graham. The photographic collection began through the tireless work of Joan and Graham Wheal, Keith Cecil and Jean and Malcolm Graham.
The society was housed in a shop at the original Cumberland Guest House and at the Water Board building after it moved in 1989.
Jean and Malcolm Graham began in 1989 the recording of important Lorne events and stories, featured in the Geelong Advertiser until Malcolm sadly died in 2001. This amazing volume of work is recorded digitally and is available through the society. It is a lasting testimony to his dedication, hard work and love of Lorne and its history.
In 1999 the society moved to its current location at the Fig Tree Community House, 16 Mountjoy Parade. The collection may be viewed on the first Sunday of the month, or by appointment. Contact Lorne Historical Society if you’d like more information. You can also find publications about Lorne and The Great Ocean Road and also photographs and other merchandise from our online shop.
The Lorne Historical Society’s rooms are open each Sunday between 10am and midday. Please join us on the first Sunday of every month for morning tea.
Warracknabeal & District Historical Society is dedicated to promoting and preserving the history of the region. They also maintain two museums and operate a second hand shop.
The two Museums are:
Wheatlands Warracknabeal Agricultural Machinery Museum – housing machinery mainly used for grain production with in Victoria’s grain belt. It is located on the Henty Highway at Warracknabeal.
Historical Centre – in the original State Bank of Victoria, housing the Banking Chamber as it was in the 1970’s when it was closed. Also domestic items from the local area, set up as a house. Also local records such as Cemetery records, and the local newspaper. Located at 81 Scott St, Warracknabeal VIC 3393
The Secondhand shop is the Wheatlands Warehouse located at 8-14 Scott St, Warracknabeal VIC 3393
Situated in the recently renovated Old Court House, the Society aims to collect and preserve historical artefacts, documents, photos, family histories, buildings, anecdotes and all items of historical interest to the town and district as well as to give access to all interested people. The Society has a collection of around 1200-1500 photos depicting the town and district.
Suburbs or towns: Wycheproof
HAVE YOU ANY OLD PHOTOS
The Historical Society is always looking for photos of Wycheproof & District at any point in time, Local Events, Farming Practices, Sporting & Local Identities, and Railways.
Tyntyndyer (Tyntynder in modern spelling) homestead is in the Swan Hill irrigation district, 16 km north of Swan Hill in north-west Victoria. The heritage-listed homestead was built in 1846 by Andrew & Peter Beveridge who took up the Tyntyndyer pastoral run. The pastoral run was the first European settlement in the Swan Hill district.
The Tyntyndyer Plains, stretching along the Victorian banks of the mighty Milloo (Murray River) was home to the Watti Watti people for thousands of years. Their homes were built of bark and mud, mia-mias and they farmed the land. Native grass seeds and nardoo were harvested and ground for flour, stubble was burnt and lush regrowth attracted grazing stock – kangaroos and emu. Fish nets were woven from the fibrous roots of reeds and quandong, the native fruit, was harvested and dried. reeds, for spears, and possum skins were traded for green stone, used for axes. Major Mitchell arrived at ‘Matakupa’ in 1836 and named the area Swan Hill. In 1846 the Beveridge brothers travelled from Kilmore by bullock dray and settled on 300 square miles of land. The property retained the name of these rich grass plains and became known as Tyntyndyer Station.
The construction of the homestead, of drop log cabin cabin of Murray Pine, was commenced in that year. Bricked over in 1850, with had made bricks, this has been classified as the first brick veneer in Australia. The homestead was completed in 1854 with a solid brick extension and in 1860 roof iron, brought from Glasgow, was placed over the stringy bark shingles.
The homestead, furnishings, collections and artifacts have all remained intact and now offer an excellent, authentic and fascinating insight into early colonial days.
- Wonderful inventions that remained at Tyntyndyer from the early settlers
- Cellar – filled with an amazing collection of Aboriginal artifacts and curios from indigenous cultures around the world – protected under the custodianship of the Watti Watti people
- Chock log cabin kitchen – floor to ceiling full of bric-a-brac and pioneer memorabilia (1854)
- Enter the schoolhouse and tutor room (1854) and see the assorted collections of sewing samplers, school work and early photographic equipment
- “Tyntyndyer” is the Aboriginal name of the area and means “song of the birds” and true to it’s name the quiet gardens and huge trees which shade the homestead today play host to a variety of beautiful native birds (garden established in the mid 1800s with assistance from Baron Von Mueller)
The Chaffey Trail – Trace the story with a self guided tour of key heritage sites and buildings of the region.
The Chaffey story begins with a wonderful interpretation and film about the Chaffey brothers at the centre.
You are invited to view the informative video production of the “Chaffey Trail” in the theatrette, detailing the history of irrigation in the region and the Chaffey brothers.
Open 7 days showing every half hour commencing at 9.30am with the last film screening at 4.30pm.
The aim of the society is to help people discover their family history. To have appropriate records available, with guidance in ways to research and record their history and genealogy.
The Ballarat & District Genealogical Society Inc. was formed in 1978 as a breakaway group from the Ballarat Historical Society. This move was perceived as making a distinction between local history and family history research.
Hours – Monday to Thursday 10.00am – 4.30pm Collection includes: Family histories, references assisting local research, local histories, cemetery records, birth marriage and death records, computer access, electoral rolls, interstate records, directories.
Postal Address – Secretary BDGS Inc, P.O Box 1809, Ballarat Mail Centre, 3354
Collecting records from the past including photographs. Guest speakers, help with family research and annual Australia Day celebrations, which include unveiling of heritage plaques recognising the local families who made the district what it is today.
The City of Moorabbin Historical Society preserves the local history and heritage of the former suburbs of the City of Moorabbin. The suburbs include Ormond, McKinnon, Bentleigh, Bentleigh East, Heatherton, Moorabbin, Highett and Cheltenham. The Society acts as the custodian of the Box Cottage Museum. Visitors can explore the museum and the eclectic items on display.
Our mission is to collect, document, research, preserve and make available to the wider community for their enjoyment and education items that show the development of Dandenong and District from early settlement to present day.
The East Melbourne Historical Society holds meetings 6 times a year either a talk on subject relevant to the history of East Melbourne, or a visit to a place of local interest. We collect material relevant to the history of East Melbourne, which is available for research by appointment. Newsletter 3 times a year, includes article relevant to the history of East Melbourne, carrying events and news of society.
The Friends of Cheltenham and Regional Cemeteries Inc. was formed on 9 May 2007 after the amalgamation of the Brighton General Cemetery Trust with the Cheltenham and Regional Cemeteries Trust.
On 1 March 2010, the Cheltenham and Regional Cemeteries Trust was absorbed by Necropolis Springvale to form the Southern Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust.
We are a not-for-profit community group comprising a team of dedicated volunteers who have a passion for the Cheltenham cemeteries.
The Friends of Cheltenham and Regional Cemeteries Inc. is an incorporated association affiliated with the Royal Historical Society of Victoria Inc., the South Eastern Historical Association Inc. and the Bayside Historical Network.
Our history centre contains memorabilia pertaining to Glenthompson and district, including photographs, newspaper items and cemetery records, etc. Open at the former Glenthompson Railway Station every 3rd Sunday from 12pm-2pm and at other times by calling: Sylvia Wilson on (03) 5577 4352 or Tracey Potatau-Wright on (03) 5577 4215
Founding Date: 4th February 1992
General Information: We will showcase people and places from Glenthompson since the town was established in the mid 1800’s. People are welcome to contribute photos and stories to our page by submitting them to the Secretary via our email address.
Products: We can provide family history searches for a fee.
As at Jan 1 2019 the fees are as follows for all new requests:
search fee: $15 per hr
copy fees for records or information: 20c per A4 pa (20+ pgs 15c per copy).
Please note: We only have a couple of researchers at this time so there may be a delay in attending to your individual request. Thank you
The European occupation of Heyfield dates from James Macfarlane’s Heyfield run of 1844. After his death it was held for a time by the Firebraces, before being purchased in 1866 by James Tyson. He referred to it as his “Cabbage Patch”. Heyfield has a strong pastoral, dairying and timber history. The collection covers Heyfield and surround districts of Seaton, Glenmaggie, Coongulla, Glenfalloch and Licola in the former shire of Maffra, and Nambrok / Denison and Wandocka, plus Cowwarr in the former shire of Rosedale.
The Kiewa Valley Historical Society began in 1965 when a group of like-minded people from all over the Kiewa Valley met with the idea of documenting and preserving the history of the valley.
As a result , the Kiewa Valley Historical Society Inc, (K.V.H.S) was formed and thus significant, both written and artefacts, were collected and saved for future generations.
Send us mail at P.O. Box 184 Mt Beauty VIC 3699