Founded in 1971
We aim to collect, research, promote and publish the history of the people, places, events and developments of particularly Lilydale, Coldstream, Chirnside Park, Montrose, Seville, Silvan, Yering, Gruyere, and Killara with a special focus on the life and family Dame Nellie Melba.
Image: Old Lilydale Court House, now home to Lilydale & District Historical Society
The Ringwood Historical Society exists to collect, research and disseminate information relating to the history of Ringwood and its environs. Monthly meetings with speakers, local books, photographic displays.
Mount Evelyn History Group members are interested in the collection, preservation, research,writing and publication of all aspects of history relating to our town. We hold displays at local events and provide speakers and information on request. Our newsletter, Things past, is published monthly.
We hold committee meeting on the third Monday evening of each even- numbered months, in odd-numbered months we have gueat speakers on the forth Saturday afternoon. Meetings and events are held at the RSL Hall, Hardy House, 49 Birmingham Road, Mt Evelyn, unless otherwise advised. visitors are welcome at meeting and lectures.
Interested in research and collection of local historical photographs, recollections, etc. With new premises, aiming for increased school and community participation.
Set in rolling orchard countryside, Mont De Lancye was built in 1882 as the home of the Sebire family. Mont De Lancey’s many attractions include Chapel/Gardens suitable for weddings; Museum; Monty’s Tearoom & much more.
Monty’s Tearoom: 0403 415 194
Formed to preserve, conserve and promote history, particularly the history of Knox and the former shires of Berwick and Ferntree Gully. The society’s MAP accredited museum and resource centre is based at Ambleside Park homestead and with the property next door set up as a resource centre is accumulating a collection of historical data, memorabilia, photographs and pioneer information relating to the area.
Open to the public 1-4 pm on Sundays or by arrangement. Local research conducted by application and fee.
Research of over 1000 ww1, boer war soldiers and Nursesof the Shire of Eltham ( & Nillumbik), Rememberance Day& Anzac Day Services . Organising landscape works & surgestions for Master Plan.
The society records and documents local history, and to advise our community. To preserve and materials, documents, photographs, tiven to the society for research and publications.
The Andrew Ross Museum was officially opened in March 1993 and through the hard work and dedication of its volunteers is now fully accredited with Museums Australia.
The Museum’s namesake, Andrew Ross, was the first schoolmaster in the district as well as a keen recorder of contemporary life and he left a remarkable written legacy to the Kangaroo Ground community. Our exhibitions explore the life and times of Andrew Ross and also Kangaroo Ground, the land and its people from pre-European time to the present.
We maintain collections that include the old schoolhouse building that the museum is house in, artefacts of local significance, a photographic collection and an extensive archive of documents relating to the district. Publications relating to local history are also available.
The Museum is open Sundays from 2-4pm and Thursdays 10am-12pm during school term or by private appointment. There is no admission fee although donations are gratefully received.
Located Rieschieks Reserve, Victoria St Doncaster, Schramm’s Cottage, historical artefacts and museum display. Orchard machinery display.