Small museum with considerable amount of photographs, documents, and papers on local history.
Established in 1963, the Society holds an archive of books, photographs, newspapers and ephemera related to Dandenong. The Archive is open Wednesdays, 11 am to 2 pm, February to November inclusive. Research fees may apply, may be waived for an information exchange. Occasional displays. Publications for sale: ‘Grand old lady of Dandenong’ ($10*, coffee table book about our Town Hall); ‘Reminiscences of early Dandenong’ ($10*); A snapshot of Dandenong in 2001 (over 120 community group historys, $10*). Magazine ‘Gipps-Land Gate’, 2 editions per year subscription $15 per year incl postage & packing; *Add $5 for packing and postage. Membership: Individual $18, Family $26, Corporate $200, Sponsor $500. (Current until 30 June 2009.)
The Port Phillip Pioneers Group (PPPG) was formed in May 1970, as a special interest group of The Genealogical Society of Victoria (GSV).
The original purpose was to bring together members of the GSV who could establish direct lineal descent from Pioneers who settled or were born in the Port Phillip District of the Colony of New South Wales (the present State of Victoria) prior to 1 July 1851.
The Group became a separate Incorporated Association in April 1991 and membership of the GSV is no longer required. Linkage with the GSV is maintained as an inaugural Member Group.
The aims and objectives of PPG are:
- To perpetuate the memory of, and create a greater awareness of, the part played by the Pioneers of early settlement in the area of the present State of Victoria;
- To compile biographical and genealogical data of the Pioneers and their immediate families;
- To preserve written and printed material which illustrates aspects of Pioneer settlement in Victoria.
The St Kilda Historical Society Inc. is a not-for-profit volunteer run organisation established in 1970 to foster interest and research into the history of St Kilda, Elwood and surrounding areas.
Postal Address – PO Box 177, Balaclava VIC 3183
The Bomber Command Commemorative Association (Victoria) exists to ensure, in perpetuity, the continuance of the memory of those Australians, and particularly the Victorians, who served in RAF Bomber Command during the Second World War.
The MIV was formed in 1998. It aims to foster the preservation and restoration of the social, cultural and physical heritage of Mechanics Institutes through the development of information exchanges and systems of mutual support.
Established in 1854, the Prahran Mechanics’ Institute is a community owned and run library specialising in the history of Victoria, Australia. With more than 30,000 books for loan and a professional information service for our members, we provide a central resource for research into the history of Victoria.
In addition to our extensive lending and reference library specialising in works about Victorian history, we organise educational activities including lectures, seminars and competitions to encourage and facilitate the study of history.
Camberwell Historical Society Inc. is a Volunteer organization whose purposes are to foster historical interest and knowledge, to compile and keep historical records of the district, to promote the interchange of information among its members by lectures, discussions, excursions and other activities, to facilitate liaison with other history groups in the district and to participate in community projects.
We are affiliated with the Royal Historical Society of Victoria.
The Society holds five general meetings annually, arranges four excursions and produces flyers for forthcoming events.
The Canterbury History Group is an active community group that collects, preserves and presents historical material in the Melbourne suburb of Canterbury.
Postal Address – 142 Canterbury Road, Canterbury VIC 3126
- Promote awareness and the preservation of Middle Park history.
- Involve and encourage the Middle Park community to actively participate in historical research.
- Seek from the community oral histories, photographs and moving images, documents and artefacts relevant to Middle Park history.
- Encourage research by government, educational institutions and others that can illuminate Middle Park history and culture.
- Seek resources, both financially and in-kind to enhance the work of the Group.
Image: courtesy of State Library of Victoria (Rose Stereograph Co. (1920). ARMSTRONG STREET, MIDDLE PARK, VICTORIA).
The Hawthorn Historical Society was established to foster historical interests, to collect and preserve items of historical interest, to compile a historical record of the district and to work in association with the National Trust (Victoria), Heritage Victoria and Hawthorn Library.
Collecting, preserving information and materials about the history of Richmond and Burnley. Conducting research, walks and talks to promote understanding of our heritage.
The C J La Trobe Society Inc. was formed in 2001 to promote understanding and appreciation of the life, work and times of Charles Joseph La Trobe, Victoria’s first Lieutenant-Governor. Initially appointed in 1839 as Superintendent of the Port Phillip District, then a part of New South Wales, he became the first Lieutenant-Governor of the new colony of Victoria after separation in 1851.
The Society celebrates La Trobe’s birthday annually, hosts lectures, special functions and other events throughout the year and distributes the journal, La Trobeana, to its members three times per year. The journal explores different themes in the life and times of La Trobe, aspects of the settlement of Victoria, and other areas of interest to members, and provides information on forthcoming cultural events.
Postal Address – PO Box 65, Port Melbourne, VIC 3207