Mount Evelyn History Group

Hardy House, 49 Birmingham Road Mt Evelyn 3796
Contact Name
Paula Herlihy

Mount Evelyn History Group members are interested in the collection, preservation, research,writing and publication of all aspects of history relating to our town. We hold displays at local events and provide speakers and information on request. Our newsletter, Things past, is published monthly.
We hold committee meeting on the third Monday evening of each even- numbered months, in odd-numbered months we have gueat speakers on the forth Saturday afternoon. Meetings and events are held at the RSL Hall, Hardy House, 49 Birmingham Road, Mt Evelyn, unless otherwise advised. visitors are welcome at meeting and lectures.

Rating
Featured/Unfeatured
Claimed/Unclaimed
Schramm's Cottage, Muriel Green Drive, Doncaster 3108 20.26 km

Located Rieschieks Reserve, Victoria St Doncaster, Schramm’s Cottage, historical artefacts and museum display. Orchard machinery display.

Contact Name
Eric Collyer, President
C/- 19 Monash Grove, Blackburn 3130 20.31 km
Contact Name
June Whiffin
PO Box 287 Blackburn South 3130 Vic Australia 20.83 km
Contact Name
ANNE MACLEISH
PO Box 211 Yarra Junction Vic 3797 Australia 20.92 km
Contact Name
Upper Yarra Valley Historical Society
728 Main Road, Eltham, 3095 21.37 km

The society operates the Historical Research Centre at the 1860 police residence at 728 Main Road, Eltham. Open by appointment.

Contact Name
Russell Yeoman, Secretary
23 Cantala Drive, Doncaster 3108 21.7 km
03 9848 6714 mob 0425 764 53903 9848 6714 mob 0425 764 539

Reunite migrants who arrived in Australia from 1947 to 1971.

Contact Name
Theo Emmanouilidis
10 Nillumbik Square, Diamond Creek 3089 21.78 km

The Society operates an historic cottage erected in 1865. It holds a large collection of historic photographs, and features information on local gold mines.

Contact Name
Gwen Myers- Sectretary
27 Bank Street Box Hill, Victoria, Australia 3128 22.29 km

Formed in 1963, the Society holds local history materials including photographs, newspapers, books, journals, manuscripts, maps, oral and family histories. It holds monthly meetings with speakers, and conducts a variety of tours including that of Box Hill Cemetery. Information on tours can be found on the Box Hill Historical Society website.

Suburbs or towns: Box Hill; Bennetswood; Burwood; Mont Albert; Surrey Hills

Catalogue records online:

Whitehorse Manningham Local History Database — http://www.localhist.wev.vic.gov.au/
Picture Victoria — http://www.picturevictoria.vic.gov.au/

PO Box 9 St Andrews VIC 3761 Australia 22.89 km
Contact Name
Gaye Ponting
PO Box 4050 Box Hill VIC 3128 Australia 22.95 km
Contact Name
Wendish Heritage Society Australia Inc
PO Box 2322 Mount Waverley VIC 3149 Australia 23.98 km
Contact Name
Jane Turton
64 Tannock St NORTH BALWYN 3104 VIC AUSTRALIA 24.71 km
Contact Name
Sam Haddad JP OAM
58 Williams Street Mt Waverley Vic 3149 24.79 km

Playing , listening and promoting music of the period 1450 – 1750.

Contact Name
Peter Brewer - Treasurer
3/29 Croydon Road Surrey Hills VIC 3127 Australia 25.54 km
Contact Name
Australian Timetable Association
former plenty uniting church.jpg
27 Howell Road, Plenty, Vic. 3090 25.64 km

Plenty Historical Society Inc was formed in February 2001 and comprises a group of people keen to create and nurture an active and sustainable organisation that is assertive in preserving the unique natural and historical environment and culture of Plenty and district in complement with Nillumbik Shire Council’s Heritage Overlay.

Image: Former Plenty Uniting (Methodist) Church building which has recently been relocated to the Plenty Heritage Park, Memorial Drive, Plenty, by the Major Roads Projects Authority (MRPA), a section of VicRoads, as a result of the need to move it from its former site because of major roadworks being undertaken. MRPA acquired the building from the Uniting Church when they acquired the land for road construction. MRPA is donating the building to the Plenty Historical Society Inc. once renovations and significant other works are completed. The building will then become the new home of the Plenty Historical Society inc. It will be some time before the Society gains access to the building, but we are most grateful that firstly our efforts to save the building from possible demolition and have it relocated to the Heritage Park and eventually acquire the church building have been worthwhile.

The church building has been assessed as historical significant on a local level, for its long association with religious community gatherings and activities in the Plenty farming area. It should be seen as a locally significant representative of the Methodist revival of the 1920s, in which rural home missionaries played an important and distinctive role in sustaining local religious communities. Methodism was a Christian sect originating in England from the teachings of Wesley, born out of concern in the 19th century that the established church ‘had little or no desire for the salvation of the masses’ (Benson 1935:8) As a form of ‘social Christianity”\’, it emphasised missionary work among the poor, workers, and remote communities. It was a powerful force in educating the working class and evangelising its moral code. Travelling preachers and lay helpers drawn from its own ranks thus quickly multiplied and chapels were erected in centres of population predominantly using funds raised from its congregations, The Home Mission, established in 1875 to spread Methodism throughout the remote communities of the British Empire, trained and deployed ‘home missionaries’ who were the ‘shock-troops’ of the church. Their activity made Methodism, despite its relative youth, a strong presence in the colonies and the dominions, and Methodists regularly ranked among the main religious groups in new Victorian settler Communities

The former chapel is locally significant as one of a small number of buildings representing the establishment of the township of Plenty in the 1920s based around its small farming community. Plenty district developed following the arrival of the railway, even though the railway was some distance away. It developed as a community of small farmers. Plenty was then a developing orchard and farming district. Its school opened in 1922, with 29 pupils. The post office opened in 1923. The 1920s, when the church was built was thus an important period of growth in the history of Plenty.

Methodist services were first held at Plenty in 1925, under the auspices of the Diamond Creek Methodist Home Mission Station, which had six churches throughout the Diamond Valley. Other Churches were at Diamond Creek, Arthurs Creek, Cottles Bridge, Hurstbridge and Wattle Glen. In 1925, the Victorian Methodist Church encouraged the building of new country churches by offering £50 to communities who could raise £100. The Methodists of Plenty took advantage of the offer, and their wooden chapel was opened in December 1925. Within five years of opening the church was debt free. (Source: “Independent Panel Hearing Statement of Evidence on Former Methodist Church” January 2012)

Contact Name
Alan Pearce, Honorary Treasurer and Public Officer
45 Talbot Ave, Balwyn, VIC 25.79 km

The aim of the Balwyn Historical Society is to facilitate and promote an interest in the history of Balwyn and nearby areas. Its objectives are to:

  • Organise speakers on historical subjects and related community interests
  • Publish a regular newsletter
  • Encourage historical research
  • Collect and organise documents and photographs and make them available for research
  • Display historical photographs and documents
  • Conduct events and excursions to places of historical interest
  • Exchange information and work with other historical societies

Suburbs or towns: Balwyn; Balwyn North; Deepdene; Greythorn

Contact Name
Marilyn Poole, President
4 Jenna Close Greensborough Vic 3088 Australia 25.82 km
Contact Name
Noel Withers
Tom Houlahan Community Support Centre, 186 Foster Street East, Dandenong 26.44 km

Established in 1963, the Society holds an archive of books, photographs, newspapers and ephemera related to Dandenong. The Archive is open Wednesdays, 11 am to 2 pm, February to November inclusive. Research fees may apply, may be waived for an information exchange. Occasional displays. Publications for sale: ‘Grand old lady of Dandenong’ ($10*, coffee table book about our Town Hall); ‘Reminiscences of early Dandenong’ ($10*); A snapshot of Dandenong in 2001 (over 120 community group historys, $10*). Magazine ‘Gipps-Land Gate’, 2 editions per year subscription $15 per year incl postage & packing; *Add $5 for packing and postage. Membership: Individual $18, Family $26, Corporate $200, Sponsor $500. (Current until 30 June 2009.)

Contact Name
Chris Keys
PO Box 190, Balwyn North VIC 3104, Australia 26.8 km
Contact Name
Edward Bartosh
Showing 21 - 40 of 194 results