Mt Dandenong and District Historical Society Inc

Farndons Community Hall, Cnr Farndon & 42 Falls Rd, Mt Dandenong 3767
Contact Name
Wendy Britt - Secretary

Interested in research and collection of local historical photographs, recollections, etc. With new premises, aiming for increased school and community participation.

Rating
Featured/Unfeatured
Claimed/Unclaimed
Capture.PNG
Camberwell VIC 3124, Australia 26.1 km

The Canterbury History Group is an active community group that collects, preserves and presents historical material in the Melbourne suburb of Canterbury.

Postal Address – 142 Canterbury Road, Canterbury VIC 3126

A small group of residents committed to researching the history of Dingley Village. Aims to collect documents, photographs etc. We have currently received funding to amploy an author to write the history of Dingley.

Contact Name
Marion Harriden, President
PO Box 261 26.66 km

The Friends of St Kilda Cemetery Inc, have an interest in promoting the conservation and appreciation of the St Kilda Cemetery as a place of remembrance, of historic importance and of natural beauty. We conduct regular tours, research and publish many of the stories that can be told of the many pioneers of the settlement of Melbourne, and who are buried there.

camberwell historical society logo.jpg
25 Inglesby Road, Camberwell VIC 3124, Australia 26.71 km

Camberwell Historical Society Inc. is a Volunteer organization whose purposes are to foster historical interest and knowledge, to compile and keep historical records of the district, to promote the interchange of information among its members by lectures, discussions, excursions and other activities, to facilitate liaison with other history groups in the district and to participate in community projects.

We are affiliated with the Royal Historical Society of Victoria.

The Society holds five general meetings annually, arranges four excursions and produces flyers for forthcoming events.

Contact Name
George Fernando, President
4 Jenna Close Greensborough Vic 3088 Australia 26.74 km
Contact Name
Noel Withers
heidelberg historical society courthouse museum.jpg
Old Heidelberg Courthouse, Cnr 15 Jika Street and Park Lane, Heidelberg 26.84 km

We are a varied group of people with a shared interest in understanding and preserving the history of Heidelberg and surrounding suburbs. This includes helping to provide a place for the accumulation of objects and documents that add to the district’s story. We want people to be able to find historic artefacts and information in the future. We want to make sure that these materials are not lost.

Our expertise in history varies greatly. Many (perhaps most) of us have a general interest and have learnt as we went along. Some have skills gained from previous work and study. Others are serious students of history, including post graduate students. Everyone is welcome and everyone’s contribution is appreciated.

We need members to assist in a wide range of ways. Visit our website to see how you can get involved.

Contact Name
Michael Torney, Treasurer
Uniting Church Historical Society and Archives.jpg
PO Box 5064 Hoppers Crossing, Vic. 3029 26.98 km

Aims to:

  • Arouse interest in and promote the study and discussion
    of the Church, including its antecedent churches;
  • Promote the collection and preservation
    of historical documents, artifacts and records;
  • Publish historical articles and lectures;
  • Promote the interchange of historical information
    by lectures, readings and discussion;
  • Cooperate with other societies interested in
    Victorian history, and the history of the Uniting Churches.
Contact Name
Rev Robert Renton, Treasurer and Editor of Proceedings of the UC Historical Society
PO Box 9 St Andrews VIC 3761 Australia 27.36 km
Contact Name
Gaye Ponting
Port Phillip Pioneers Badge Logo coloured 1803.jpg
Wesley Hall, St. Andrew's Uniting Church, 253A Burke Road, Gardiner VIC 27.49 km

The Port Phillip Pioneers Group (PPPG) was formed in May 1970, as a special interest group of The Genealogical Society of Victoria (GSV).

The original purpose was to bring together members of the GSV who could establish direct lineal descent from Pioneers who settled or were born in the Port Phillip District of the Colony of New South Wales (the present State of Victoria) prior to 1 July 1851.

The Group became a separate Incorporated Association in April 1991 and membership of the GSV is no longer required. Linkage with the GSV is maintained as an inaugural Member Group.

The aims and objectives of PPG are:

  • To perpetuate the memory of, and create a greater awareness of, the part played by the Pioneers of early settlement in the area of the present State of Victoria;
  • To compile biographical and genealogical data of the Pioneers and their immediate families;
  •  To preserve written and printed material which illustrates aspects of Pioneer settlement in Victoria.
Contact Name
Beverley Jacobson, Secretary
former plenty uniting church.jpg
27 Howell Road, Plenty, Vic. 3090 27.6 km

Plenty Historical Society Inc was formed in February 2001 and comprises a group of people keen to create and nurture an active and sustainable organisation that is assertive in preserving the unique natural and historical environment and culture of Plenty and district in complement with Nillumbik Shire Council’s Heritage Overlay.

Image: Former Plenty Uniting (Methodist) Church building which has recently been relocated to the Plenty Heritage Park, Memorial Drive, Plenty, by the Major Roads Projects Authority (MRPA), a section of VicRoads, as a result of the need to move it from its former site because of major roadworks being undertaken. MRPA acquired the building from the Uniting Church when they acquired the land for road construction. MRPA is donating the building to the Plenty Historical Society Inc. once renovations and significant other works are completed. The building will then become the new home of the Plenty Historical Society inc. It will be some time before the Society gains access to the building, but we are most grateful that firstly our efforts to save the building from possible demolition and have it relocated to the Heritage Park and eventually acquire the church building have been worthwhile.

The church building has been assessed as historical significant on a local level, for its long association with religious community gatherings and activities in the Plenty farming area. It should be seen as a locally significant representative of the Methodist revival of the 1920s, in which rural home missionaries played an important and distinctive role in sustaining local religious communities. Methodism was a Christian sect originating in England from the teachings of Wesley, born out of concern in the 19th century that the established church ‘had little or no desire for the salvation of the masses’ (Benson 1935:8) As a form of ‘social Christianity”\’, it emphasised missionary work among the poor, workers, and remote communities. It was a powerful force in educating the working class and evangelising its moral code. Travelling preachers and lay helpers drawn from its own ranks thus quickly multiplied and chapels were erected in centres of population predominantly using funds raised from its congregations, The Home Mission, established in 1875 to spread Methodism throughout the remote communities of the British Empire, trained and deployed ‘home missionaries’ who were the ‘shock-troops’ of the church. Their activity made Methodism, despite its relative youth, a strong presence in the colonies and the dominions, and Methodists regularly ranked among the main religious groups in new Victorian settler Communities

The former chapel is locally significant as one of a small number of buildings representing the establishment of the township of Plenty in the 1920s based around its small farming community. Plenty district developed following the arrival of the railway, even though the railway was some distance away. It developed as a community of small farmers. Plenty was then a developing orchard and farming district. Its school opened in 1922, with 29 pupils. The post office opened in 1923. The 1920s, when the church was built was thus an important period of growth in the history of Plenty.

Methodist services were first held at Plenty in 1925, under the auspices of the Diamond Creek Methodist Home Mission Station, which had six churches throughout the Diamond Valley. Other Churches were at Diamond Creek, Arthurs Creek, Cottles Bridge, Hurstbridge and Wattle Glen. In 1925, the Victorian Methodist Church encouraged the building of new country churches by offering £50 to communities who could raise £100. The Methodists of Plenty took advantage of the offer, and their wooden chapel was opened in December 1925. Within five years of opening the church was debt free. (Source: “Independent Panel Hearing Statement of Evidence on Former Methodist Church” January 2012)

Contact Name
Alan Pearce, Honorary Treasurer and Public Officer
historical postcard showing burwood road hawthorn - hawthorn historical society.jpg
Hawthorn Community Precinct, 584 Glenferrie Road, Hawthorn, VIC 3122 28.73 km

The Hawthorn Historical Society was established to foster historical interests, to collect and preserve items of historical interest, to compile a historical record of the district and to work in association with the National Trust (Victoria), Heritage Victoria and Hawthorn Library.

Contact Name
Elizabeth Yewers - Secretary
PO Box 2415 Hawthorn, VIC 3122 Australia 28.79 km
Contact Name
Victorian Telecommunications Museum Inc.
Capture.PNG
85 Princes Highway, Pakenham VIC, Australia 28.8 km

The Berwick – Pakenham Historical Society seeks to promote awareness of the history of our district’s history through the acquisition, preservation and display of historical items; recording of older residents’ knowledge; and undertaking research, publications and displays. We are a member of the Royal Historical Society of Victoria.

Postal Address – PO Box 442, Pakenham VIC 3810

KewHS Logo in Jpeg.jpg

To conduct research into the history of Kew, study its records, contact descendents of early Kew residents, bring together those who are interested in Kew Histroy at our monthly meetings. We provide a window display in the Kew Library and collect items including photos, paperwork and objects of signifcance to Kew.

 

 

Contact Name
Desley Reid- Secretary
PO Box 583 Hawthorn Business Centre VIC 3122 Australia 29.02 km
Contact Name
Friends of the Auburn Tower Inc
PO Box 58 Malvern VIC 3144 Australia 29.05 km
Contact Name
Stonnington History Centre
Capture.PNG
304-306 Jasper Road, Ormond VIC, Australia 29.38 km

The City of Moorabbin Historical Society preserves the local history and heritage of the former suburbs of the City of Moorabbin. The suburbs include Ormond, McKinnon, Bentleigh, Bentleigh East, Heatherton, Moorabbin, Highett and Cheltenham. The Society acts as the custodian of the Box Cottage Museum. Visitors can explore the museum and the eclectic items on display.

PO Box 6172 Hawthorn West VIC 3122 Australia 29.64 km
Contact Name
Melbourne Tram Museum
glen eira historical society logo.jpg
965 Glen Huntly Rd, Caulfield South VIC 3162, Australia 29.9 km

The Society was formed in 1972 to preserve the history of the municipality and to offer research facilities to students and members of the public.

We are committed to the collection, preservation and promotion of the history of the municipality of Glen Eira.

Our collection includes documents, photos, maps, family histories and books.

Open Tuesday and Friday 9am – 12noon

Suburbs or towns: Caulfield; Elsternwick; North Caulfield; South Caulfield; Murrumbeena; Ormond; City of Glen Eira; McKinnon; Bentleigh; Carnegie; Gardenvale; Glen Huntly

PO Box 4021 McKinnon VIC 3204 Australia 29.99 km
Contact Name
Hand Tool Preservation Association of Australia Inc
Showing 41 - 60 of 194 results