Collection of locally significant artefacts & records, publication of community recollections and assistance with research.
The Robert O’Hara Burke Memorial Museum is operated b y the Indigo Shire Council. An Athenaeum since 1857, original building, a museum since 1863. “Street of Shops” added in 1979.
The Collection held by the Yackandandah and District Historical Society is a large and comprehensive collection of the many stories of this district, held in photographs, images, objects, registers, documents, letters, textiles, digital forms and research material.
Description: Open museum, research, collection , publications, public programs.
Suburbs or towns: Yackandandah; Allans Flat; Staghorn Flat; Osbornes Flat
The El Dorado Museum collection is sited in the original schoolhouse number 246 which opened in 1870. The school rooms and out-sheds house a large variety of items such as social and domestic purpose items.
Gold and tin mining relics from the Cock’s El Dorado Gold and Tin Dredge and Cock’s Pioneer sluicing are on display as well as information on various mines in the area with some photographic history of the mining from 1850 until 1950. Agricultural implements can be viewed in and around the big shed.
A Blacksmith’s shop has a fireplace, bellows, anvil, hammers and other tools, horseshoes as well as Kelly Gang replica forged armour. There are also woodworkers hand tools, saws, and mining implements. Genealogy is available from school records, cemetery records World War One records and some photos, lodge and church records, and mining records. The museum has war memorabilia ranging from helmets and medals to souvenirs and bayonets.
Children’s treasure hunt activities are available with some hands on items to try out as well. They can have a go at gold panning and keep any gold that they discover.
The Kiewa Valley Historical Society began in 1965 when a group of like-minded people from all over the Kiewa Valley met with the idea of documenting and preserving the history of the valley.
As a result , the Kiewa Valley Historical Society Inc, (K.V.H.S) was formed and thus significant, both written and artefacts, were collected and saved for future generations.
Send us mail at P.O. Box 184 Mt Beauty VIC 3699
The present brick building was erected in 1866, replacing an earlier timber construction, and used as Council Chambers, Town Hall and Library/Reading Rooms. When the Library was relocated in 1970 many old books remained in the present building forming an interesting collection of Goldfields reading matter in the original setting. About this time the Chiltern Athenaeum Museum was formed by enthusiastic members of the public who operate the museum on a volunteer basis.
Our aim is to collect and conserve items and information telling the story of the birth and growth of Wodonga and environs for the benefit of the general public, and especially for future generations. We welcome input and assistance from everybody.
Postal Address – PO Box 829, Wodonga, VIC 3689
The Falls Creek Historical Society is committed to ensure the collection, preservation and interpretation of the unique history of Falls Creek and the Bogong High Plains.
By way of interactive and informative displays and detailed archiving, they wish to stimulate community interest and involvement in telling the distinctive Alpine history. Alongside their comprehensive museum collection, they undertake artistic and diverse methods of storytelling such as curated walks, village history trails and pop up museum displays.
Benalla & District Historical Society Inc is active in both its aspects of operating a Museum specializing in costume, Kelly and local history, and the Research Rooms’ archival The Benalla Costume and Kelly Museum was founded in 1967 and is accredited through the Museum Accreditation Program (Vic). It is the only public costume museum of its kind in Victoria. It is managed entirely by volunteer members of Benalla Historical Society Inc. and is a splendid example of how the skills of an enthusiastic and talented group can produce excellence.The museum specializes in costumes and local history, including the Ned Kelly Story.
Postal Address – PO Box 201, Benalla VIC 3671
Mansfield Historical Society was initially formed in the 1960’s and after a few years activity was suspended. The Society was re-formed in 1983 and in 1992 moved into the old Library building in Ailsa Street. It then moved once more in 2006 to the Mansfield Railway Station, our current premises. The Ailsa Street building is now our storage centre.
The Society aims to preserve and promote the history of the Mansfield region. Its archives contain a wealth of information about the history of Mansfield and the surrounding district including genealogical information, microfiche documents, photos, memorabilia, maps and an extensive clothing collection. The Society has many books and photographs of the local area that are available for purchase.
Description: Yarrawonga – Mulwala Historical Society is involved in all forms of research and preservation of local history. Visitors, coach tours and school groups welcome at the Pioneer Museum. The Museum preserves local and rural history to educate, entertain and provide enjoyment to visitors of all ages.
Group Bookings, please call: 0418 307 569
School Students $2
Suburbs or towns: Yarrawonga; Mulwala, NSW; Burramine; Wilby; Telford; Bundalong; Bathumi; Boomahnoomoonah; Savernake, NSW; Tungamah