Collection of locally significant artefacts & records, publication of community recollections and assistance with research.
The contribution by people of Irish background to Ballarat’s social, cultural and industrial development is substantial and the Ballarat and District Irish Association plans to present, celebrate, promote and enjoy this ongoing legacy
The Society promotes the study, collection and preservation of the history, heritage and environment of Buninyong and the surrounding district.
Image: ‘Buninyong Town Hall, home of the Buninyong and District Historical Society’.
The Airways Museum houses a collection of national importance that traces the development of Australia’s civil aviation airways system.
Umbrella group for the historical societies of the Dandenong Ranges.
The El Dorado Museum collection is sited in the original schoolhouse number 246 which opened in 1870. The school rooms and out-sheds house a large variety of items such as social and domestic purpose items.
Gold and tin mining relics from the Cock’s El Dorado Gold and Tin Dredge and Cock’s Pioneer sluicing are on display as well as information on various mines in the area with some photographic history of the mining from 1850 until 1950. Agricultural implements can be viewed in and around the big shed.
A Blacksmith’s shop has a fireplace, bellows, anvil, hammers and other tools, horseshoes as well as Kelly Gang replica forged armour. There are also woodworkers hand tools, saws, and mining implements. Genealogy is available from school records, cemetery records World War One records and some photos, lodge and church records, and mining records. The museum has war memorabilia ranging from helmets and medals to souvenirs and bayonets.
Children’s treasure hunt activities are available with some hands on items to try out as well. They can have a go at gold panning and keep any gold that they discover.
Friends of Cornish Hill are a Landcare group. Our connection with RHSV goes back to the day when Cornish Hill Reserve was saved from sale by members of the local community who realised the value of the Reserve as being historically and environmentally significant.
The Friends have been beavering away restoring the Smiths creek corridor to bring it back to what it looked like before mining ravaged the landscape.
Image: Friends of Cornish Hill working bee in June 2018
A collection of photographs, firearms, gold nugget replicas and local history with a genealogy research section.
Local history society and museum and shop open daily in summer and four days during the rest of the year.
Kilmore Historical Society’s Research Centre is located in the Kilmore Court House. The collection has an extensive biographical and photographic register of information, including resources on local schools, railways and buildings.[caption id="attachment_2494" align="alignnone" width="792"] Post Office, Courthouse and Police Barracks[/caption]
Macarthur and District Historical Society occupies the former Court House, 31 High Street, Macarthur. Research $10. Archives – minute books, cemetery burial ledgers, photos, maps, some births and marriage records, newspapers, clubs, school and family histories.
The MHSA Victorian Branch welcomes new members and guests and if any of your members are interested in military history they are especially welcome to join us at any time.
We have recently moved to the Oakleigh-Carnegie RSL in Drummond Street, Oakleigh. We meet every fourth Thursday of the month (except December) at 8 pm.
MHHS aims to preserve, document, acquire and interpret the historyof the eastern Hills. MHHS assists individual researchers, schoolsand other groupsto compilelocal history. The Society has a large Archive of informationrelating to the history of the shir.The Mundarring District Museum, opened in 1997, and houses a permanent displayabout people, placesand eventsof historical interest the shire of Mundaring
Nhill has an archive in the Nhill Historical Centre, with holdings which include: early settlers list; district schools information; oral history archival material; Clydesdale Breeders yearbooks, 1880-1940; hospital history and photographs; local history books and magazines; Nhill Free Press newspaper, 1882-1999; Tatiara Mail newspaper, 1880-1887; research files, scrapbooks, cemetery records; Lowan Shire Council Valuation and Rate books; Lowan Waterworks Trust books; Lowan Electricity Supply records; numerous minute books and records of business and organisations; sports – football, cricket, tennis, golf, racing, etc; Nhill A & P Society; service clubs; Scouts; Lodges; Nhill Brass Band.
For research enquires please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Port Phillip Pioneers Group (PPPG) was formed in May 1970, as a special interest group of The Genealogical Society of Victoria (GSV).
The original purpose was to bring together members of the GSV who could establish direct lineal descent from Pioneers who settled or were born in the Port Phillip District of the Colony of New South Wales (the present State of Victoria) prior to 1 July 1851.
The Group became a separate Incorporated Association in April 1991 and membership of the GSV is no longer required. Linkage with the GSV is maintained as an inaugural Member Group.
The aims and objectives of PPG are:
- To perpetuate the memory of, and create a greater awareness of, the part played by the Pioneers of early settlement in the area of the present State of Victoria;
- To compile biographical and genealogical data of the Pioneers and their immediate families;
- To preserve written and printed material which illustrates aspects of Pioneer settlement in Victoria.
Omeo Justice Precinct is classified by Heritage Victoria and is one of the most intact legal precincts of the state. It includes Oriental sites and other historical sites. Guided tours.
The Jamieson and District Historical Society Inc. formed in 1991 have their headquarters and museum in the Old Jamieson Courthouse. Manned and run by local volunteers who work very hard to preserve the history of Jamieson and the Upper Goulburn Region, which covers the area from Howqua through to Matlock and beyond.
Suburbs or towns Darlingford; Enochs Point; Howqua; Jamieson; Kevington; Ten Mile; Gaffneys Creek; A1 Mine Settlement; Woods Point; Matlock