Nagambie Historical Society was formed in 1968 for the sole purpose of ‘retaining equipment within the town as some agricultural equipment had already left the district’. The Museum site was developed in 1870 with the construction of the stables to house the Cobb & Co horses, these stables are still standing at the rear of the Old Court House building. The Court House building was formerly the Court of Petty Sessions, Shire Office and Chambers, Post Master General’s Office, and the Registry Office for births, deaths and marriages. Later additions to the site included the first electricity plant for the Nagambie township 1912, with a further extension to this building in 1932 by the SEC. During the early 1970s, the Historical Society erected a large agricultural machinery shed at the rear of the site, and this now houses the James Forbes Museum consisting of a comprehensive range of old farm machinery made at the local foundry. The Museum houses a very large display of memorabilia and research is undertaken upon request. Opening hours are:
Opening Hours each Wednesday, 1st Saturday of month, 2nd 3rd & 4th Sunday of month – 9.30am to 12.30pm
Maintains the oldest house in Romsey – Seymour Cottage. Museum with displays of local interest in former Court House. Collection of local history & family documents.
Display at local Show; local history collection of memorabilia; marking old school sites, history board, etc. Currently there is no building available for display.
The Military History Group Inc. is based in Victoria, Australia, and is an organisation dedicated to the restoration and preservation of military vehicles and their heritage.
The MHG Inc. attends various military vehicle displays throughout Victoria and NSW. Vehicles from WW2, Korea, Malaya, Borneo, Vietnam and current conflicts are represented.
The Katandra & Distict History Group aim to locate, catalogue, copy or acquire items of historic importance to the local area and to make them available to the community.
Mainly a pictorial and documentary collection, some artefacts (machinery, small utensils). Second site, former Court House, 621 Midland Highway, original furniture, soldiers photos, MUIOOF Certificate and honor rolls.
The Society holds a culturally and historically significant collection of books, documents, photographs, artworks, textiles and objects. Many of the photographs and documents are irreplaceable.
Benalla & District Historical Society Inc is active in both its aspects of operating a Museum specializing in costume, Kelly and local history, and the Research Rooms’ archival The Benalla Costume and Kelly Museum was founded in 1967 and is accredited through the Museum Accreditation Program (Vic). It is the only public costume museum of its kind in Victoria. It is managed entirely by volunteer members of Benalla Historical Society Inc. and is a splendid example of how the skills of an enthusiastic and talented group can produce excellence.The museum specializes in costumes and local history, including the Ned Kelly Story.
Postal Address – PO Box 201, Benalla VIC 3671
Aims to conserve, promote and share the heritage of Lockington and district from pre-white settlement to present day.
Nathalia and District Historical Society Inc consists of several buildings and a large collection of outdoor machinery, books, newspapers, photos, minutes books, ledgers, some school registers, and other memorabilia relevant to the history and development of Nathalia and District.
Eaglehawk Heritage Society Inc was formed to preserve the history and heritage of the area. It provides a museum and research facilities within an historic Eaglehawk building.
Description: Collection and preservation of local history, and changing displays at the Heritage Centre.
Suburbs or towns: Numurkah; Wunghnu; Katunga; Drumanure; Dunbulbalane; Baulkamaugh; Strathmerton
Kyneton Historical Society is a voluntary non-profit incorporated community organisation, comprising people from many fields committed to collecting, preserving, researching and sharing the wealth of material that is our herit5age, and for which we as members are custodians.
About the Society
The Whittlesea Historical Society meets on the third Sunday of each month at 2 pm (except January), visitors are most welcome to attend.We meet in the Activity Centre, Laurel St, Whittlesea.
Some of our aims include:
- Petition on behalf of local historic sites, buildings, trees, etc to Council or government,
- Undertake and promote the research of our history,
- Collect, conserve, compile and make available historic records,
- Establish and maintain a library and archives of that information,
- Disseminate knowledge of our history through lectures, publications, exhibitions, excursions and other means,
- Provide a means for people interested in the area’s history to meet, discuss and participate.
Formed in 1987, the society aims to preserve and promote the history and heritage of Malmsbury and surrounding districts.
Profile Image by Susan Walter
Museum and archives pertaining to horticulture, granite and families.
Image: Harcourt ANA Hall, built 1911, the of Harcourt Valley Heritage & Tourist Centre
The Kinglake Historical Society works to collect and preserve the information and memorabilia related to the history of the district.