The Society aims to collect, restore and maintain the memorabilia and records of the old gold mining town of Landsborough, founded in 1862 and named in honour of William Landsborough the explorer, the township still contains many reminders of its busy past. These include the 1862 lock-up, the 1901 Mounted Police stables, and a 130 year old school, all of which are cared for by the Historical Group.
The society was established in 1984 and is dedicated to preserving, collecting and researching the history of Avoca and the surrounding district.
The headquarters of the Society is an historic building at 85 High Street, Avoca, which was the Avoca Court House from 1859 to 1979. It now contains a local history & family history resource centre containing thousands of documents, photographs, maps, microfilm of local newspapers & rate books, artifacts, etc., pertaining to the localities in the Avoca district.
Postal Address PO Box 24 Avoca VIC 3467
The society is interested in local history which is on display in Langi Morgala Museum which includes mining, railways, church, council business, home life, sport, armed services, transport and agriculture.
Worsley Cottage Museum, an 1894 stone cottage, is the home of the society. The collection includes domestic items and artefacts from the era, outdoor displays and a cottage garden. There is also an 1840 slab and daub pioneer hut with wooden shingle roof. Research facilities are also available.
Postal Address – PO Box 265 Maryborough 3465
Hours: Tues/Thurs 10am-12noon & Sun 2pm -4pm
The Beaufort Historical Society is situated in the former Beaufort Court House, in Livingstone St, next door to the Uniting Church. The society has an extensive collection of family histories, photographs, newspapers, school and cemeteries records, etc.
Suburbs or towns: Beaufort; Chute; Raglan; Trawalla; Shirley; Waterloo; Stockyard Hill; Lake Goldsmith; Nerring; Eurambeen
Postal Address: PO Box 30, Beaufort VIC 3373
Large museum, history centre, memorabilia, wedding dresses, huge taxidermy collection, video presentations.
Open Times: Monday to Saturday 12 noon till 2 pm
Sunday 12 noon till 4 pm.
The society collects and preserves documentary material relevant to Minyip and District such as photographs, maps, diaries, written collections, journals, minute books and documented family histories.
Wedderburn is is located 225 km north west of Bendigo and within the Loddon Shire. We have over 33,000 digitised records in our database covering Wedderburn and surrounding towns within the shire. Our digital records include over 100 audio tapes of past presentations given by locals talking about their early years in the district. Selected records and documents can be copied to a USB memory stick for visitors to take away with them. Further digitizing will continue throughout 2020.
Established in 1973, we collect, preserve and share information, photos and items relevant to Charlton & the surrounding district.
Located in the former Mechanics Institute building (1882), the Charlton Golden Grains Museum showcases a diverse collection of over 3000 artefacts and photographs from Charlton’s early pioneer days through to today.
Please note: private research of our archives is not possible
The Museum is housed in the former Warehouse (c.1860) of contractors Nichol and Wallace.
The redeveloped Nichol and Wallace building, now known as The Warehouse, to reflect it’s 19th century history, reopened in 2014 as a Hub housing the Museum, the Library, the Visitor information Centre, the Hepburn Shire Service Centre as well as event and meeting spaces.
Collects and records local history of Inglewood district. Have several local history publications for sale. Research early district pioneers for a fee. Hold court re-enactments for tourists and locals by arrangement.