The Nepean Historical Society Inc. was formed in 1965 and established its Museum in the Mechanics’ Institute, Sorrento. The building (classified by the National Trust) was built of local limestone in 1876/77. A multi-purpose Heritage Gallery, including multimedia and lecture facilities, was added in 1994.
Museum and various guided tours are available.
The Society is incorporated as a non-profit organisation and is operated entirely by volunteers, many with professional expertise. There are no paid staff. Members are encouraged to take an interest in the various activities and tasks required in an active organisation. Membership is currently around 300.