The Society collects and preserves documents, artefacts, memorablia and photos of historical interest relating to Phillip Island and District; maintains and staffs a museum open to the public; holds monthly meetings to which visitors are welcome.
Collection: Comprises of local historical records, photographs and memorabilia from Balnarring and surrounding district
Services/Activities: Research; copying; meetings; publications; cataloguing; public displays
Open: By appointment
Postal Address: PO Box 183, Balnarring VIC 3926
Is a vibrant, enthusiastic group of volunteers who are dedicated to promoting, preserving and enhancing the cultural and environmental heritage of Hastings and surrounding areas of Western Port. The Society manages the Hastings Museum made up of the general Museum, Dad’s Shed, the Fishing Museum, the Pioneer’s Cottage with the surrounding cottage garden and the Remembrance Garden of Peace. The Museum displays in a place of honour the 40 pounder rifled breech loading Armstrong Gun used by the local defence force in Colonial days – the ‘Ham & Beef’ Battery. Gold coin admission to Museum – free to members. General meetings take place every two-months. Quarterly Morning Coffees and weekly “Wednesday Workers” at Museum every Wednesday morning. The Museum is open every Sunday 2-4, and Wednesdays 10-12 noon. The Museum can also be opened by prior arrangement.
The Society aims to preserve and record the official history of the district enriched with the stories of the local pioneers and families’ stories.
Extensive photographic display, computer use, 5000 items datalogued, memorabilia display, outings, local displays.
Collects and preserves the heritage of the old Shire of Cranbourne, and manages the Fisherman’s Cottage Museum complex at Tooradin, on behalf of the City of Casey.
Rosebud and District Historical Society collects the history of people and buildings in the Rosebud area.
Collection of memorabilia and research documents. Folk museum with collection of old newspapers, post office and telegraph memorabilia.
Frankston Historical Society Inc is a non profit organisation, formed in 1961. Established to preserve the history of the local area, our base is Ballam Park Homestead, Cranbourne Rd, Frankston. Open each Sunday 1-4, except the 5th Sunday when 5 in a month, or by appointment. Phone 9789 5529
The Wonthaggi and District Historical Society had its beginning in the late 1950’s when a number of interested citizens saw the need to preserve Wonthaggi’s history. A public meeting was held and the historical society was formed. Over the ensuing years the collection of artifacts has grown, as has its collection of photographs and documents. The society has copies of most local newspapers, some dating back to 1910; audio tapes of many and varied speakers with their rich tapestry of experiences and observations.
Suburbs or towns: Wonthaggi; Dalyston; Archies Creek; Cape Paterson; Kilcunda; Glen Alvie
Profile Image: Wonthaggi Railway Station Museum, home of the Wonthaggi & District Historical Society
“Mallow House”, built 1916, is the home of Koo Wee Rup Swamp Historical Society, incorporating a museum, etc. Collects and preserves the history of Koo Wee Rup and the Koo Wee Rup Swamp.
Rye Historical Society aims to preserve the history of the area bounded by Canterbury-Jetty Rd and Truemans Rd. The Room is open every Sunday 1pm -3 pm.
Family History Group in Narre Warren with many family history resources. The group is also interested in local history and has local records and family histories. Visitors always welcome.
The Bomber Command Commemorative Association (Victoria) exists to ensure, in perpetuity, the continuance of the memory of those Australians, and particularly the Victorians, who served in RAF Bomber Command during the Second World War.
The Nepean Historical Society Inc. was formed in 1965 and established its Museum in the Mechanics’ Institute, Sorrento. The building (classified by the National Trust) was built of local limestone in 1876/77. A multi-purpose Heritage Gallery, including multimedia and lecture facilities, was added in 1994.
Museum and various guided tours are available.
The Society is incorporated as a non-profit organisation and is operated entirely by volunteers, many with professional expertise. There are no paid staff. Members are encouraged to take an interest in the various activities and tasks required in an active organisation. Membership is currently around 300.