Plenty Historical Society Inc.

former plenty uniting church.jpg
27 Howell Road, Plenty, Vic. 3090
Contact Name
Alan Pearce, Honorary Treasurer and Public Officer

Plenty Historical Society Inc was formed in February 2001 and comprises a group of people keen to create and nurture an active and sustainable organisation that is assertive in preserving the unique natural and historical environment and culture of Plenty and district in complement with Nillumbik Shire Council’s Heritage Overlay.

Image: Former Plenty Uniting (Methodist) Church building which has recently been relocated to the Plenty Heritage Park, Memorial Drive, Plenty, by the Major Roads Projects Authority (MRPA), a section of VicRoads, as a result of the need to move it from its former site because of major roadworks being undertaken. MRPA acquired the building from the Uniting Church when they acquired the land for road construction. MRPA is donating the building to the Plenty Historical Society Inc. once renovations and significant other works are completed. The building will then become the new home of the Plenty Historical Society inc. It will be some time before the Society gains access to the building, but we are most grateful that firstly our efforts to save the building from possible demolition and have it relocated to the Heritage Park and eventually acquire the church building have been worthwhile.

The church building has been assessed as historical significant on a local level, for its long association with religious community gatherings and activities in the Plenty farming area. It should be seen as a locally significant representative of the Methodist revival of the 1920s, in which rural home missionaries played an important and distinctive role in sustaining local religious communities. Methodism was a Christian sect originating in England from the teachings of Wesley, born out of concern in the 19th century that the established church ‘had little or no desire for the salvation of the masses’ (Benson 1935:8) As a form of ‘social Christianity”\’, it emphasised missionary work among the poor, workers, and remote communities. It was a powerful force in educating the working class and evangelising its moral code. Travelling preachers and lay helpers drawn from its own ranks thus quickly multiplied and chapels were erected in centres of population predominantly using funds raised from its congregations, The Home Mission, established in 1875 to spread Methodism throughout the remote communities of the British Empire, trained and deployed ‘home missionaries’ who were the ‘shock-troops’ of the church. Their activity made Methodism, despite its relative youth, a strong presence in the colonies and the dominions, and Methodists regularly ranked among the main religious groups in new Victorian settler Communities

The former chapel is locally significant as one of a small number of buildings representing the establishment of the township of Plenty in the 1920s based around its small farming community. Plenty district developed following the arrival of the railway, even though the railway was some distance away. It developed as a community of small farmers. Plenty was then a developing orchard and farming district. Its school opened in 1922, with 29 pupils. The post office opened in 1923. The 1920s, when the church was built was thus an important period of growth in the history of Plenty.

Methodist services were first held at Plenty in 1925, under the auspices of the Diamond Creek Methodist Home Mission Station, which had six churches throughout the Diamond Valley. Other Churches were at Diamond Creek, Arthurs Creek, Cottles Bridge, Hurstbridge and Wattle Glen. In 1925, the Victorian Methodist Church encouraged the building of new country churches by offering £50 to communities who could raise £100. The Methodists of Plenty took advantage of the offer, and their wooden chapel was opened in December 1925. Within five years of opening the church was debt free. (Source: “Independent Panel Hearing Statement of Evidence on Former Methodist Church” January 2012)

Rating
Featured/Unfeatured
Claimed/Unclaimed
Capture.PNG
Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia 3065 18.94 km

The Fitzroy History Society caters for anyone interested in the history of the Fitzroy area.  Anyone who is interested in joining is welcome.  You don’t have to live in the area to be a member of the Society.

Postal Address – PO Box 180 Fitzroy VIC 3065

Capture.PNG
Blackburn South, VIC 3130 18.98 km

The Association was formed in 1986.

Our objectives are:

  •  To promote and foster goodwill among Cornish people and people in Victoria
  • To stimulate interest in the History, Family History, Antiquities, Traditions and Social Conditions of Cornwall
  • To aid approved Cultural Movements in and associated with Cornwall
  • To endeavour to arrange contact between relatives and friends of Cornish people both in Victoria and Cornwall and with other Cornish Associations.
  • To further awareness in the Victorian community of the importance of the Cornish emigration in the development of Australia.
  • To assist and to encourage in conjunction with State Organizations, Local Government and the National Trust,  the restoration and maintenance of buildings/areas of importance to the Cornish Heritage in Australia.
  • To be a non-political, non-sectarian, cultural organization.
theatre heritage australia tha logo .jpg
29 Northumberland Street, Collingwood VIC 3066, Australia 19.41 km

Theatre Heritage Australia Inc. is a non-profit organisation established in 1995 to foster knowledge and research into the history of Australian theatre. Our members include theatre professionals, scholars, and enthusiasts dedicated to documenting and sharing Australia’s unique theatre heritage.

Contact Name
Elisabeth Kumm, Secretary
Croydon, VIC 3136 19.67 km
Contact Name
Geoff Arnott, President
Capture.PNG
Carlton, VIC 3053 19.67 km

The Cinema and Theatre Historical Society of Australia Inc. was formed in Melbourne, Australia in 1989

The Society’s aims are –

• To foster an interest in the architecture, history and heritage of cinemas and theatres in Australia.

• Record the history of cinemas and theatres in the form of books, magazines and audiovisual materials.

• To maintain an archive collection of cinema related documents, photos, etc.
• Provide public access to the collection for the purpose of cinema research and related matters.
• Seek to preserve theatre and cinema buildings and artefacts.
• Organise events to facilitate inspections for documenting and photographing of cinema venues.

• Conduct regular meetings for members.

CO.AS.IT.-logo-2018.gif
189 Faraday Street, Carlton 3053 19.8 km

The Italian Historical Society was established in 1980 to document, preserve and promote the history of Italian migration and settlement in Australia.

Through the ongoing generous support of the Italian community and the Society’s collecting, research and interpretation activities the Society has developed an extensive collection of significant material which includes: A wide range of images, oral histories, ephemera, documents and objects which relate to all aspects of the Italian migration and settlement story.

 

Contact Name
Elizabeth Triarico
Capture.PNG
122 George Street, East Melbourne VIC, Australia 20.12 km

The East Melbourne Historical Society holds meetings 6 times a year either a talk on subject relevant to the history of East Melbourne, or a visit to a place of local interest. We collect material relevant to the history of East Melbourne, which is available for research by appointment. Newsletter 3 times a year, includes article relevant to the history of East Melbourne, carrying events and news of society.

essendon historical society court house museum.jpg
Old Moonee Ponds Courthouse Museum,768 Mt Alexander Rd,Moonee Ponds 3039 20.42 km

Essendon Historical Society is a non-profit organisation committed to documenting, preserving and promoting the history of the City of Moonee Valley which consists of Airport West, Ascot Vale, Avondale Heights, Essendon, Essendon North, Keilor East, Kensington, Moonee Ponds, Niddrie, Strathmore, Strathmore Heights as well as parts of Keilor and Flemington.

The Society was formed in 1970 by a group of residents who recognised the importance of preserving all aspects of local history for the benefit of present and future generations.

Early meetings were held in private homes and, later, in the Moonee Ponds Town Hall. In 1981, after a long battle, the Society obtained the use of the old Moonee Ponds Courthouse as its headquarters.

Essendon Historical Society has retained the use of the 1890 building since that time. With somewhere to display and store items of local historical interest, the community was encouraged to assist in building up various collections of local significance.

*Image Source: Essendon Historical Society Collection

Contact Name
Hayden Williams
415 Church Street, Richmond 3121 20.48 km

Collecting, preserving information and materials about the history of Richmond and Burnley. Conducting research, walks and talks to promote understanding of our heritage.

Contact Name
David Langdon, President
level 4/69 Bourke Street, Melbourne 20.71 km

The Salvation Army Australia Museum

Level 4/69 Bourke Street, Melbourne.

Tel: 03 9653 3270

Email: Lindsay.cox@salvationarmy.org.au

Contact Name
Lindsay Cox - Museum Manager
Level 1, 210 Lonsdale St, Melbourne Vic 3000 20.91 km

The Queen Victoria Women’s Centre is an iconic Melbourne landmark that supports women (cis, trans) and non-binary through creative experiences, community resources and the power of connection.

We host creative programming onsite, online and around Victoria, have venues available to hire, QVWC SHOP and provide office space to likeminded resident organisations. We are for women, by women – always.

Shop 2, The Terrace, Brice Avenue, Mooroolbark, Vic. 3138 20.98 km

Established to produce a book re 30 years of Festivals hold regular meetings, we house a Display at Shop 2, The Terrace, Mooroolbark.

Contact Name
Marion Stott, President
188 Collins Street Melbourne 3000 21.17 km
Contact Name
Susan Westwood
IHS.png
Level 2/ 329 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia 21.18 km
Capture.PNG

The ATA (Australian Timetable Association) is an organisation for anyone interested in the study of transport timetables, schedules, maps and associated literature.

secretary@timetable.org.au

Contact Name
Australian Timetable Association
logo hotham history project.jpg
c/o North Melbourne Library, 66 Errol Street, North Melbourne 3051 21.29 km

The Hotham History Project is a community group with an interest in the history of North and West Melbourne. North Melbourne was known as Hotham from the 1850s to 1887.

Activities Include: Researching, writing and publishing the history of North and West Melbourne, and organising history related activities such as walks and talks.

Visit Hotham History Project Bookstore for publications 

Contact Name
Mary Kehoe, Secretary
Capture.PNG

The ‘Friends of La Trobe’s Cottage’ was formed in 2009 under the umbrella of the C J La Trobe Society to support the National Trust in its efforts to maintain the Cottage, and, through fund-raising, improve the visitor experience at the Cottage through regular public opening times, enhanced interpretation, and improved interior and exterior appearance.

The Friends aim to promote education programs for schools, and foster a better understanding among the citizens of Melbourne and beyond of the important role La Trobe played in setting up our early university, hospital, library and other institutions, and in establishing the parks and gardens which are such a feature of our city today.

Melbourne 3000 VIC 21.38 km

Established in Victorian 1902, the National Council of Women of Victora is one of the oldest women’s organisations in Victoria. It is non-sectarian and non-party political in encouraging the participation of women in all aspects of community life.

asm6.jpg

The ASM is a vibrant and modern organisation, boasting a grand tradition. Founded in 1907, it is the oldest Magical Society in the Southern Hemisphere and the fourth oldest in the world. It is the largest club in Melbourne, currently numbering 120 professional, part-time professional and amateur magicians.

Showing 41 - 60 of 207 results