Plenty Historical Society Inc.

former plenty uniting church.jpg
27 Howell Road, Plenty, Vic. 3090
Contact Name
Alan Pearce, Honorary Treasurer and Public Officer

Plenty Historical Society Inc was formed in February 2001 and comprises a group of people keen to create and nurture an active and sustainable organisation that is assertive in preserving the unique natural and historical environment and culture of Plenty and district in complement with Nillumbik Shire Council’s Heritage Overlay.

Image: Former Plenty Uniting (Methodist) Church building which has recently been relocated to the Plenty Heritage Park, Memorial Drive, Plenty, by the Major Roads Projects Authority (MRPA), a section of VicRoads, as a result of the need to move it from its former site because of major roadworks being undertaken. MRPA acquired the building from the Uniting Church when they acquired the land for road construction. MRPA is donating the building to the Plenty Historical Society Inc. once renovations and significant other works are completed. The building will then become the new home of the Plenty Historical Society inc. It will be some time before the Society gains access to the building, but we are most grateful that firstly our efforts to save the building from possible demolition and have it relocated to the Heritage Park and eventually acquire the church building have been worthwhile.

The church building has been assessed as historical significant on a local level, for its long association with religious community gatherings and activities in the Plenty farming area. It should be seen as a locally significant representative of the Methodist revival of the 1920s, in which rural home missionaries played an important and distinctive role in sustaining local religious communities. Methodism was a Christian sect originating in England from the teachings of Wesley, born out of concern in the 19th century that the established church ‘had little or no desire for the salvation of the masses’ (Benson 1935:8) As a form of ‘social Christianity”\’, it emphasised missionary work among the poor, workers, and remote communities. It was a powerful force in educating the working class and evangelising its moral code. Travelling preachers and lay helpers drawn from its own ranks thus quickly multiplied and chapels were erected in centres of population predominantly using funds raised from its congregations, The Home Mission, established in 1875 to spread Methodism throughout the remote communities of the British Empire, trained and deployed ‘home missionaries’ who were the ‘shock-troops’ of the church. Their activity made Methodism, despite its relative youth, a strong presence in the colonies and the dominions, and Methodists regularly ranked among the main religious groups in new Victorian settler Communities

The former chapel is locally significant as one of a small number of buildings representing the establishment of the township of Plenty in the 1920s based around its small farming community. Plenty district developed following the arrival of the railway, even though the railway was some distance away. It developed as a community of small farmers. Plenty was then a developing orchard and farming district. Its school opened in 1922, with 29 pupils. The post office opened in 1923. The 1920s, when the church was built was thus an important period of growth in the history of Plenty.

Methodist services were first held at Plenty in 1925, under the auspices of the Diamond Creek Methodist Home Mission Station, which had six churches throughout the Diamond Valley. Other Churches were at Diamond Creek, Arthurs Creek, Cottles Bridge, Hurstbridge and Wattle Glen. In 1925, the Victorian Methodist Church encouraged the building of new country churches by offering £50 to communities who could raise £100. The Methodists of Plenty took advantage of the offer, and their wooden chapel was opened in December 1925. Within five years of opening the church was debt free. (Source: “Independent Panel Hearing Statement of Evidence on Former Methodist Church” January 2012)

Rating
Featured/Unfeatured
Claimed/Unclaimed
25 Inglesby Road Camberwell3124 19.22 km
The Canterbury History Group works to preserve and disseminate material connected with the histor...
Contact Name
Frances Barrett, Secretary
theatre heritage australia tha logo .jpg
29 Northumberland Street, Collingwood VIC 3066, Australia 19.41 km
Theatre Heritage Australia Inc. is a non-profit organisation established in 1995 to foster knowle...
Contact Name
Elisabeth Kumm, Secretary
C/- 19 Monash Grove, Blackburn 3130 19.45 km
Contact Name
June Whiffin
CO.AS.IT.-logo-2018.gif
189 Faraday Street, Carlton 3053 19.8 km
The Italian Historical Society was established in 1980 to document, preserve and promote the hist...
Contact Name
Elizabeth Triarico
131 Simpson Street, East Melbourne, VIC 3002 19.85 km
The East Melbourne Historical Society holds meetings 6 times a year either a talk on subject rel...
Contact Name
Sylvia Black, Secretary
Croydon Library Complex, 5 Civic Square, Croydon 20.2 km
Contact Name
Les Hutchinson, President
essendon historical society court house museum.jpg
Old Moonee Ponds Courthouse Museum,768 Mt Alexander Rd,Moonee Ponds 3039 20.42 km
Essendon Historical Society is a non-profit organisation committed to documenting, preserving and...
Contact Name
Mary Cahill
1 Edgar Johnston Lane, Essendon Airport 20.47 km
Archive and museum relating to infrastructure of Australian civil aviation history.
Contact Name
Roger Meyer
415 Church Street, Richmond 3121 20.48 km
Collecting, preserving information and materials about the history of Richmond and Burnley. Cond...
Contact Name
David Langdon, President
adam lindsay gordon statue with piper john houghton.jpg
Gordon Reserve, Spring Street, East Melbourne VIC, Australia 20.59 km
The Adam Lindsay Gordon Commemorative Committee is incorporated in Victoria. Adam Lindsay Gordon ...
Contact Name
John Adams
69 Bourke Street, Melbourne 20.69 km
Contact Name
Lindsay Cox
Shop 2, The Terrace, Brice Avenue, Mooroolbark, Vic. 3138 20.98 km
Established to produce a book re 30 years of Festivals hold regular meetings, we house a Displa...
Contact Name
Marion Stott, President
188 Collins Street Melbourne 3000 21.17 km
Contact Name
Susan Westwood
logo hotham history project.jpg
c/o North Melbourne Library, 66 Errol Street, North Melbourne 3051 21.29 km
The Hotham History Project is a community group with an interest in the history of North and West...
Contact Name
Mary Kehoe, Secretary
c/- RHSV - 239 A'Beckett Street ,Melbourne 3000 21.43 km
history council of victoria logo.jpg
239 A'Beckett Street Melbourne 21.47 km
The History Council of Victoria Incorporated (HCV) is the peak body for history in the Australian...
Contact Name
Margart Birtley (Executive Officer)
239 A'Beckett Street, Melbourne VIC, Australia 21.47 km
Promote and gather information on the SS Great Britain and her passengers.
Contact Name
Beverley Bromham, Secretary
rhsv logo high res.jpg
239 A'Beckett Street, Melbourne VIC 3000 21.47 km
Mission: The RHSV is a community organisation dedicated to the collection, preservation, understa...
Contact Name
Pankaj Sirwani
Port Phillip Pioneers Badge Logo coloured 1803.jpg
Wesley Hall, St. Andrew's Uniting Church, 253A Burke Road, Gardiner VIC 21.52 km
The Port Phillip Pioneers Group (PPPG) was formed in May 1970, as a special interest group of The...
Contact Name
Beverley Jacobson, Secretary
440 Grand Boulevard Craigieburn 3064 21.8 km
Craigieburn Historical Interest Group’s aim is to collect and preserve past, present and fu...
Contact Name
Mary Herring
Showing 41 - 60 of 195 results