Plenty Historical Society Inc.

former plenty uniting church.jpg
27 Howell Road, Plenty, Vic. 3090
Contact Name
Alan Pearce, Honorary Treasurer and Public Officer

Plenty Historical Society Inc was formed in February 2001 and comprises a group of people keen to create and nurture an active and sustainable organisation that is assertive in preserving the unique natural and historical environment and culture of Plenty and district in complement with Nillumbik Shire Council’s Heritage Overlay.

Image: Former Plenty Uniting (Methodist) Church building which has recently been relocated to the Plenty Heritage Park, Memorial Drive, Plenty, by the Major Roads Projects Authority (MRPA), a section of VicRoads, as a result of the need to move it from its former site because of major roadworks being undertaken. MRPA acquired the building from the Uniting Church when they acquired the land for road construction. MRPA is donating the building to the Plenty Historical Society Inc. once renovations and significant other works are completed. The building will then become the new home of the Plenty Historical Society inc. It will be some time before the Society gains access to the building, but we are most grateful that firstly our efforts to save the building from possible demolition and have it relocated to the Heritage Park and eventually acquire the church building have been worthwhile.

The church building has been assessed as historical significant on a local level, for its long association with religious community gatherings and activities in the Plenty farming area. It should be seen as a locally significant representative of the Methodist revival of the 1920s, in which rural home missionaries played an important and distinctive role in sustaining local religious communities. Methodism was a Christian sect originating in England from the teachings of Wesley, born out of concern in the 19th century that the established church ‘had little or no desire for the salvation of the masses’ (Benson 1935:8) As a form of ‘social Christianity”\’, it emphasised missionary work among the poor, workers, and remote communities. It was a powerful force in educating the working class and evangelising its moral code. Travelling preachers and lay helpers drawn from its own ranks thus quickly multiplied and chapels were erected in centres of population predominantly using funds raised from its congregations, The Home Mission, established in 1875 to spread Methodism throughout the remote communities of the British Empire, trained and deployed ‘home missionaries’ who were the ‘shock-troops’ of the church. Their activity made Methodism, despite its relative youth, a strong presence in the colonies and the dominions, and Methodists regularly ranked among the main religious groups in new Victorian settler Communities

The former chapel is locally significant as one of a small number of buildings representing the establishment of the township of Plenty in the 1920s based around its small farming community. Plenty district developed following the arrival of the railway, even though the railway was some distance away. It developed as a community of small farmers. Plenty was then a developing orchard and farming district. Its school opened in 1922, with 29 pupils. The post office opened in 1923. The 1920s, when the church was built was thus an important period of growth in the history of Plenty.

Methodist services were first held at Plenty in 1925, under the auspices of the Diamond Creek Methodist Home Mission Station, which had six churches throughout the Diamond Valley. Other Churches were at Diamond Creek, Arthurs Creek, Cottles Bridge, Hurstbridge and Wattle Glen. In 1925, the Victorian Methodist Church encouraged the building of new country churches by offering £50 to communities who could raise £100. The Methodists of Plenty took advantage of the offer, and their wooden chapel was opened in December 1925. Within five years of opening the church was debt free. (Source: “Independent Panel Hearing Statement of Evidence on Former Methodist Church” January 2012)

Rating
Featured/Unfeatured
Claimed/Unclaimed
27 Bank Street Box Hill, Victoria, Australia 3128 16.68 km

Formed in 1963, the Society holds local history materials including photographs, newspapers, books, journals, manuscripts, maps, oral and family histories. It holds monthly meetings with speakers, and conducts a variety of tours including that of Box Hill Cemetery. Information on tours can be found on the Box Hill Historical Society website.

Suburbs or towns: Box Hill; Bennetswood; Burwood; Mont Albert; Surrey Hills

Catalogue records online:

Whitehorse Manningham Local History Database — http://www.localhist.wev.vic.gov.au/
Picture Victoria — http://www.picturevictoria.vic.gov.au/

To conduct research into the history of Kew, study its records, contact descendents of early Kew residents, bring together those who are interested in Kew Histroy at our monthly meetings. We provide a window display in the Kew Library and collect items including photos, paperwork and objects of signifcance to Kew.

Contact Name
Desley Reid- Secretary
3/29 Croydon Road Surrey Hills VIC 3127 Australia 17.25 km
Contact Name
Australian Timetable Association
PO Box 5052 Brunswick North VIC 3056 Australia 17.41 km
03 9525 369603 9525 3696
0438 077 329 (Could be 677)0438 077 329 (Could be 677)
Contact Name
Peter Johnson
11 Ripley Court, Ringwood 3135 17.5 km

The Ringwood Historical Society exists to collect, research and disseminate information relating to the history of Ringwood and its environs. Monthly meetings with speakers, local books, photographic displays.

Contact Name
Russ Haines, President
PO Box 194 WHITTLESEA VIC 3757 Australia 17.58 km
Contact Name
Bruce Batten
PO Box 4050 Box Hill VIC 3128 Australia 17.7 km
Contact Name
Wendish Heritage Society Australia Inc
PO Box 3083 Broadmeadows VIC 3047 Australia 17.93 km
Contact Name
Beryl Jones
PO Box 287 Blackburn South 3130 Vic Australia 18.17 km
Contact Name
ANNE MACLEISH
PO Box 106 Mitcham VIC 3132 Australia 18.2 km
Contact Name
Vicki Jones-Evans
PO Box 295 Pascoe Vale South Vic 3044 Australia 18.29 km
Contact Name
MARILYN MOORE
931 Drummond St, Carlton North 3054 18.32 km

Interest in and research into people, places and incidents in Carlton and Carlton North.

Contact Name
Jeff Atkinson - president - jeffann@bigpond.net.au

Monthly meetings open to everybody, quarterly magazine for members, research and publication of books, pro-active in the preservation of historical materials or places.

Contact Name
Paul Constantinidis, President
PO Box 2415 Hawthorn, VIC 3122 Australia 18.67 km
Contact Name
Victorian Telecommunications Museum Inc.
PO Box 583 Hawthorn Business Centre VIC 3122 Australia 18.72 km
Contact Name
Friends of the Auburn Tower Inc
IMG_9784.PNG
PO Box 304 Clifton Hill Vic 3068 18.85 km

The Collingwood Historical Society has as its area of interest the former City of Collingwood, that is, the suburbs now known as Abbotsford, Clifton Hill, and Collingwood in Victoria, Australia.

Collingwood Historical Society had its beginnings in the 1970s as a local interest group in the former City of Collingwood. The Society:

  • Promotes public awareness of our local history.
  • Promotes the conservation of Collingwood’s heritage places.
  • Organises events such as talks, displays and history walks.
  • Collects historical material relating to Collingwood, Clifton Hill and Abbotsford.
  • Records history in the form of photos, oral history tapes, publications, and electronic resources.
Contact Name
Anne Holmes, Secretary
PO Box 6172 Hawthorn West VIC 3122 Australia 18.91 km
Contact Name
Melbourne Tram Museum
historical postcard showing burwood road hawthorn - hawthorn historical society.jpg
Hawthorn Community Precinct, 584 Glenferrie Road, Hawthorn, VIC 3122 18.93 km

The Hawthorn Historical Society was established to foster historical interests, to collect and preserve items of historical interest, to compile a historical record of the district and to work in association with the National Trust (Victoria), Heritage Victoria and Hawthorn Library.

Contact Name
Elizabeth Yewers - Secretary

The Fitzroy History Society functions to promote and to preserve the history of Fitzroy.

Contact Name
Meg Lee- Secretary
camberwell historical society logo.jpg
25 Inglesby Road, Camberwell VIC 3124, Australia 19.22 km

Camberwell Historical Society Inc. is a Volunteer organization whose purposes are to foster historical interest and knowledge, to compile and keep historical records of the district, to promote the interchange of information among its members by lectures, discussions, excursions and other activities, to facilitate liaison with other history groups in the district and to participate in community projects.

We are affiliated with the Royal Historical Society of Victoria.

The Society holds five general meetings annually, arranges four excursions and produces flyers for forthcoming events.

Contact Name
George Fernando, President
Showing 21 - 40 of 195 results