Rye Historical Society aims to preserve the history of the area bounded by Canterbury-Jetty Rd and Truemans Rd. The Room is open every Sunday 1pm -3 pm.
Established in 1956, the Williamstown Historical Society was established to highlight the diverse activities of the inhabitants of this historic seaport. The collection includes photographs, paintings, artefacts, models and sporting memorabilia.
The purpose of the Williamstown Historical Society and Museum is to preserve the history of Williamstown, Newport and Spotswood for future generations through the collection, discovery, identification, study, understanding, classification, documentation, preservation, exhibition and interpretation of objects and documents of historical significance relating to Williamstown, Newport and Spotswood.
The Museum is a source of knowledge, ideas, stories and memories. It is developed and managed as a community resource to inspire, educate and inform the community and visitors, and to contribute to the conservation of the history and heritage of the district.
The museum is housed in the two-storey heritage listed building at 5 Electra Street, built in 1860 as a Mechanics Institute and Library.
Please note that the Museum is currently closed due to major restoration of the building being undertaken by the Hobsons Bay City Council. We are expecting to hopefully reopen in 2021.
History Monash Inc is the former Oakleigh & District Historical Society Inc., established in 1961. Our volunteers are dedicated to studying, collecting, preserving, exhibiting and publishing local history within the City of Monash, especially of Oakleigh and surrounding districts.
Established in 1945, the Australian Railway Historical Society Victorian Division Inc. has a proud history of over 70 years of catering for all who have an interest in the railway history of Victoria. It has a growing membership of over 500 members throughout Australia and overseas.
The Society recognises that recording the continuing development and evolution of rail transport in our state is as much a part of its future history as events that occurred in the past 178 years.
The Society runs the Newport Railway Museum located at 26 Champion Road, Newport VIC.
- Arouse interest in and promote the study and discussion
of the Church, including its antecedent churches;
- Promote the collection and preservation
of historical documents, artifacts and records;
- Publish historical articles and lectures;
- Promote the interchange of historical information
by lectures, readings and discussion;
- Cooperate with other societies interested in
Victorian history, and the history of the Uniting Churches.
- Promote awareness and the preservation of Middle Park history.
- Involve and encourage the Middle Park community to actively participate in historical research.
- Seek from the community oral histories, photographs and moving images, documents and artefacts relevant to Middle Park history.
- Encourage research by government, educational institutions and others that can illuminate Middle Park history and culture.
- Seek resources, both financially and in-kind to enhance the work of the Group.
Image: courtesy of State Library of Victoria (Rose Stereograph Co. (1920). ARMSTRONG STREET, MIDDLE PARK, VICTORIA).
Established in 1854, the Prahran Mechanics’ Institute is a community owned and run library specialising in the history of Victoria, Australia. With more than 30,000 books for loan and a professional information service for our members, we provide a central resource for research into the history of Victoria.
In addition to our extensive lending and reference library specialising in works about Victorian history, we organise educational activities including lectures, seminars and competitions to encourage and facilitate the study of history.
The MIV was formed in 1998. It aims to foster the preservation and restoration of the social, cultural and physical heritage of Mechanics Institutes through the development of information exchanges and systems of mutual support.
Formed in 1993 to preserve the identity of this historic port town in the face of amalgamation. Large collection of documents and photos 1860 onwards. Genealogical database, monthly meetings with speakers, weekly work sessions, busy program of research projects, publishing, exhibitions.
The Port Phillip Pioneers Group (PPPG) was formed in May 1970, as a special interest group of The Genealogical Society of Victoria (GSV).
The original purpose was to bring together members of the GSV who could establish direct lineal descent from Pioneers who settled or were born in the Port Phillip District of the Colony of New South Wales (the present State of Victoria) prior to 1 July 1851.
The Group became a separate Incorporated Association in April 1991 and membership of the GSV is no longer required. Linkage with the GSV is maintained as an inaugural Member Group.
The aims and objectives of PPG are:
- To perpetuate the memory of, and create a greater awareness of, the part played by the Pioneers of early settlement in the area of the present State of Victoria;
- To compile biographical and genealogical data of the Pioneers and their immediate families;
- To preserve written and printed material which illustrates aspects of Pioneer settlement in Victoria.
The Kastellorizian Association of Victoria was established in 1925 to give assistance to the fledgling Greek community of Melbourne who emigrated from the tiny island of Kastellorizo. A Brotherhood was established offering vital social, economic and cultural support and links to its members.
With recent amendments to our Constitution, our primary purpose now is to use our activities and functions as a vehicle to assist those in need in the Kastellorizian and wider Greek Community.
These activities aim to promote among Kastellorizians and their descendents in Victoria, the cultural heritage of Kastellorizo and the integration of its community into the multicultural society of the Australian community. This includes the organisation of social functions to foster continued social interaction between families and friends of Kastellorizo, the promotion of cultural activities by organising lectures, exhibitions, recitals, musical evenings etc and the promotion of academic and/or sporting excellence by awarding prizes and scholarships.
Image: 1928 Kazzie Picnic, a very symbolic, traditional and annual event for the Kastellorizian community.
“Mallow House”, built 1916, is the home of Koo Wee Rup Swamp Historical Society, incorporating a museum, etc. Collects and preserves the history of Koo Wee Rup and the Koo Wee Rup Swamp.
The C J La Trobe Society Inc. was formed in 2001 to promote understanding and appreciation of the life, work and times of Charles Joseph La Trobe, Victoria’s first Lieutenant-Governor. Initially appointed in 1839 as Superintendent of the Port Phillip District, then a part of New South Wales, he became the first Lieutenant-Governor of the new colony of Victoria after separation in 1851.
The Society celebrates La Trobe’s birthday annually, hosts lectures, special functions and other events throughout the year and distributes the journal, La Trobeana, to its members three times per year. The journal explores different themes in the life and times of La Trobe, aspects of the settlement of Victoria, and other areas of interest to members, and provides information on forthcoming cultural events.
View the bibliography of the Charles Joseph La Trobe manuscript and pictorial material held in the State Library of Victoria.