We are a combined museum and history centre.
Many thousands of artefacts and records relating to the district from 1840 to present day form the collection which is housed in the former Maldon Market House. The Maldon Market House is listed on the Victorian Heritage Register. The museum has many displays that present a fascinating insight into the history and heritage of the district and the archives provide a valuable research resource.
The Maldon Vintage Machinery & Museum houses a wonderful display of vintage machinery and has evolved into a fabulous museum with artifacts from the region and afield. Items from Gold mining. the industrial Revolution, Fire Fighting, Farming to the Home.
The museum is ran by volunteers and members. We aim to open on the times listed below, but things do pop up from time-to-time. It is best that you give us a call first, particularly if you are travelling some distance to get to us. We can be contacted on 03 5472 2202.
Sundays: 2nd Sunday of the Month 10AM-4PM
The object of our Society is to foster historical interest and knowledge, particularly but not exclusively of the Nullawil District, and to compile and record Nullawil’s history. Also to restore and display machinery and photos of the area, and to keep records of schools and townships in the area.
Warracknabeal & District Historical Society is dedicated to promoting and preserving the history of the region. They also maintain two museums and operate a second hand shop.
The two Museums are:
Wheatlands Warracknabeal Agricultural Machinery Museum – housing machinery mainly used for grain production with in Victoria’s grain belt. It is located on the Henty Highway at Warracknabeal.
Historical Centre – in the original State Bank of Victoria, housing the Banking Chamber as it was in the 1970’s when it was closed. Also domestic items from the local area, set up as a house. Also local records such as Cemetery records, and the local newspaper. Located at 81 Scott St, Warracknabeal VIC 3393
The Secondhand shop is the Wheatlands Warehouse located at 8-14 Scott St, Warracknabeal VIC 3393
Please note: private research of our archives is not possible
The Museum is housed in the former Warehouse (c.1860) of contractors Nichol and Wallace.
The redeveloped Nichol and Wallace building, now known as The Warehouse, to reflect it’s 19th century history, reopened in 2014 as a Hub housing the Museum, the Library, the Visitor information Centre, the Hepburn Shire Service Centre as well as event and meeting spaces.
Eaglehawk Heritage Society Inc was formed to preserve the history and heritage of the area. It provides a museum and research facilities within an historic Eaglehawk building.
In 1863 the Newstead Court of Petty Sessions was built to the design of colonial architect John James Clark.
In February 1986 a group of interested people met and formed the Newstead & District Historical Society Inc.
In 1987 the Society applied through the then Shire of Newstead to the Department formerly named Conservation, Forests & Lands for the use of the old courthouse as a venue. The application was successful and since then members have carried out a great deal of work both in restoring and maintaining the building as well as collecting and conserving the history of the area. Our building is unique in that no alterations or additions have been done to it.
The Beaufort Historical Society is situated in the former Beaufort Court House, in Livingstone St, next door to the Uniting Church. The society has an extensive collection of family histories, photographs, newspapers, school and cemeteries records, etc.
Suburbs or towns: Beaufort; Chute; Raglan; Trawalla; Shirley; Waterloo; Stockyard Hill; Lake Goldsmith; Nerring; Eurambeen
Postal Address: PO Box 30, Beaufort VIC 3373
The Society holds a culturally and historically significant collection of books, documents, photographs, artworks, textiles and objects. Many of the photographs and documents are irreplaceable.
Preservation of our mechanical heritage& working old machineryincluding tractors and farm equipment, but not limited to.
The society collects and maintains the local history of the Horsham area in written, photographic and electronic form plus a small collection of historical memorabilia. Monthly meeting. Open Tuesday Wednesday 1.30 – 4.30 Family and Local History and Small Museum.
Mainly a pictorial and documentary collection, some artefacts (machinery, small utensils). Second site, former Court House, 621 Midland Highway, original furniture, soldiers photos, MUIOOF Certificate and honor rolls.
Research centre for local families, minute books for clubs and associations, local newspapers. Preservation and recovery of local history of families, communities, organizations, schoole etc. within the boundaries of the old Shire of East Loddon.
The historical society is dedicated to keep an accurate record of the district since settlement.
The Castlemaine Historical Society was formed in 1965 to study, record and promote the historical heritage of Castlemaine and District. It operated for many years from temporary premises in various locations. In 1996 the Society was granted a lease to its present home in the historic Former Court House.
Meetings (with interesting guest speakers), exhibitions, a monthly newsletter, guided tours, the development, cataloguing and maintenance of an historic archive collection, indexing of records and the provision of a research service are the major activities of the members.
Archives held by the Society include early directories, voters lists, local newspaper index and some records and indexes concerning mining leases, rates, schools, churches and cemeteries.
Postal Address – PO Box 655, Castlemaine 3450
The Castlemaine Pioneers & Old Residents’ Association (P&ORA) held its first meeting on 17 March 1880 following some informal meetings amongst like-minded gentlemen who were keen to form an organisation to support one another in times of need and to enhance the society they lived in.
One of the early rules states ‘that the organisation will collect, store, preserve and promote the area’s local history.
The P&ORA is not a Historical Society as such, but we do own a lot of historical ‘stuff’ as past members were reluctant to throw anything out.
Opening Hours – Every Wednesday between 10am-3pm
Museum and archives pertaining to horticulture, granite and families.
Image: Harcourt ANA Hall, built 1911, the of Harcourt Valley Heritage & Tourist Centre
Buda Historic Home and Garden is of national significance. The house is an accredited museum featuring the intact furnishings, personal belongings and art collection of the talented Leviny family who resided there over two generations for almost 120 years.
Come to Buda and enjoy walking through the historic house where you will be transported to another era, in this Museums Australia accredited museum. Wander three acres of heritage garden featuring original plantings and structures, including the bird aviary, tennis pavilion and grape pergola, along with many original garden ornaments created by the Leviny family members