The St Kilda Historical Society Inc. is a not-for-profit volunteer run organisation established in 1970 to foster interest and research into the history of St Kilda, Elwood and surrounding areas.
Postal Address – PO Box 177, Balaclava VIC 3183
Established in 1854, the Prahran Mechanics’ Institute is a community owned and run library specialising in the history of Victoria, Australia. With more than 30,000 books for loan and a professional information service for our members, we provide a central resource for research into the history of Victoria.
In addition to our extensive lending and reference library specialising in works about Victorian history, we organise educational activities including lectures, seminars and competitions to encourage and facilitate the study of history.
The MIV was formed in 1998. It aims to foster the preservation and restoration of the social, cultural and physical heritage of Mechanics Institutes through the development of information exchanges and systems of mutual support.
The Adam Lindsay Gordon Commemorative Committee Inc. (A0049425F) was formed in 2006 by a group of dedicated enthusiasts. The aim of the Committee is to:
- Raise the profile of Adam Lindsay Gordon as Australia’s national poet
- Facilitate events around Australia on the anniversary of Adam Lindsay Gordon’s death
- Collate material on Adam Lindsay Gordon’s life and works and make it available to researchers and admirers alike
- Undertake projects to perpetuate the memory of Adam Lindsay Gordon
- Do all such other things as are conducive or incidental to the attainment of the above purposes or any of them.
Image: by Andrew Lutz. The piper is John Houghton from The City of Melbourne Highland Pipe Band.