The St Kilda Historical Society Inc. is a not-for-profit volunteer run organisation established in 1970 to foster interest and research into the history of St Kilda, Elwood and surrounding areas.
Postal Address – PO Box 177, Balaclava VIC 3183
The Hotham History Project is a community group with an interest in the history of North and West Melbourne. North Melbourne was known as Hotham from the 1850s to 1887.
Activities Include: Researching, writing and publishing the history of North and West Melbourne, and organising history related activities such as walks and talks.
Visit Hotham History Project Bookstore for publications
Discover the rich history of St John Ambulance in Victoria from the perspective of the many generous volunteers who are the backbone of the organisation. View displays from 1900 to today of First Aid equipment, uniforms, photographs and more. Visit the St John Museum, open to public across from Williamstown Beach.
The Carlton Community History Group, a historical society focusing on the history of Carlton and Carlton North.
Postal Address – PO Box 148, North Carlton VIC 3054
The Newport Railway Museum hosts an extraordinary collection of steam, diesel and electric trains as well as a host of other railway exhibits. We are open to the general public every Saturday from 12 noon to 5pm. During school holidays it is open both Saturdays AND Sundays from 12 noon to 5pm. The Museum can also open outside of these hours by special appointment for group bookings. It is a popular destination for school excursions, car clubs, photography clubs, RSL and Probus clubs, just to name a few.
Postal Address – PO Box 748 Williamstown, VIC 3016
The Sandringham & District Historical Society (SDHS) was started in 1986 by a group of like-minded, local history enthusiasts.
With considerable community assistance, rooms were made available over a period of years for meetings and storage of our collected assets.
Eventually the City of Bayside allocated the Society a site of its own, between the library and the senior citizens’ rooms in Sandringham.
Referred to as the ‘Resource Centre’, this site now holds various reading and research areas, a modern computer network, tearoom facilities and the society’s archives.
Visitors are always welcome!
Images: courtesy of SDHS committee member Robyn Watters (2018)
History Monash Inc is the former Oakleigh & District Historical Society Inc., established in 1961. Our volunteers are dedicated to studying, collecting, preserving, exhibiting and publishing local history within the City of Monash, especially of Oakleigh and surrounding districts.
The Association was formed in 1986.
Our objectives are:
- To promote and foster goodwill among Cornish people and people in Victoria
- To stimulate interest in the History, Family History, Antiquities, Traditions and Social Conditions of Cornwall
- To aid approved Cultural Movements in and associated with Cornwall
- To endeavour to arrange contact between relatives and friends of Cornish people both in Victoria and Cornwall and with other Cornish Associations.
- To further awareness in the Victorian community of the importance of the Cornish emigration in the development of Australia.
- To assist and to encourage in conjunction with State Organizations, Local Government and the National Trust, the restoration and maintenance of buildings/areas of importance to the Cornish Heritage in Australia.
- To be a non-political, non-sectarian, cultural organization.
The Harry Hawker Society’s primary purpose is to promote and maintain knowledge, of the work, exploits and life of Harry George hawker MBE AFC. by exbititions, displays, publications and memorials to Harry hawker, his associates, his partners abd friends that gave him encouragement, pushed him to his great achievements and supported his developments in aviation.
The Friends of St Kilda Cemetery Inc, have an interest in promoting the conservation and appreciation of the St Kilda Cemetery as a place of remembrance, of historic importance and of natural beauty. We conduct regular tours, research and publish many of the stories that can be told of the many pioneers of the settlement of Melbourne, and who are buried there.
Funding was obtained from the Victorian Multicultural Commission in 2005 to establish The Australian Lebanese Historical Society of Victoria. ALHSV was incorporated on July 7 2005 and formally launched at the Royal Historical Society of Victoria, Melbourne, on 4 October 2006.
We welcome as members all who have an interest in the ALHSV goals and activities.
The ALHSV is run by a Council with elections held bi-annually.
We aim to…
- Foster research, writing and exhibitions on Lebanese heritage, culture and history in Victoria.
- Identify and record materials related to Lebanese migration and settlement in Victoria.
- Promote the study and publication of the contributions of the Lebanese Community to Australian society.
- Liaise with mainstream collecting and displaying bodies such as museums, libraries, archival resource centres and cultural organisations.
- Build understanding of their cultural heritage among the Australian-Lebanese Community of Victoria.
- Sponsor and develop applications for projects in support of the above.
The aim of the Balwyn Historical Society is to facilitate and promote an interest in the history of Balwyn and nearby areas. Its objectives are to:
- Organise speakers on historical subjects and related community interests
- Publish a regular newsletter
- Encourage historical research
- Collect and organise documents and photographs and make them available for research
- Display historical photographs and documents
- Conduct events and excursions to places of historical interest
- Exchange information and work with other historical societies
Suburbs or towns: Balwyn; Balwyn North; Deepdene; Greythorn
The Polish Museum and Archives in Australia was established in 1991 as an initiative of a number of people who saw the importance of collecting and preserving historical materials that reflected the individual and community life of Polish immigrants living in Australia.
The Footscray Historical Society Inc was formed at a public meeting in 1968. The Society actively records, preserves and researches the history of the suburbs within the City of Maribyrnong – Braybrook, Footscray, Kingsville, Maidstone, Maribyrnong, Seddon, West Footscray, Tottenham and Yarraville.
The purposes of the Footscray Historical Society are to advance Australian culture by recording and cataloguing the history of the Footscray district. And by collecting, preserving, and exhibiting items of historical significance to the Footscray district for the benefit of the community, advocating for the conservation, restoration and maintenance of buildings and sites of historical significance to the Footscray district for the benefit of the community and fostering public awareness of and interest in, the history of the Footscray district.
The Cinema and Theatre Historical Society of Australia Inc. was formed in Melbourne, Australia in 1989
The Society’s aims are –
• To foster an interest in the architecture, history and heritage of cinemas and theatres in Australia.
• Record the history of cinemas and theatres in the form of books, magazines and audiovisual materials.
• To maintain an archive collection of cinema related documents, photos, etc.
• Provide public access to the collection for the purpose of cinema research and related matters.
• Seek to preserve theatre and cinema buildings and artefacts.
• Organise events to facilitate inspections for documenting and photographing of cinema venues.
• Conduct regular meetings for members.
Friends of Sandy and the australian Light Horse was founded in 2002 withthe express purpose of creating a permanment memorial to Sandy, the only horse to return from WW!. Sandy was burried in what is todaythe Defence Site Maribyrong , previouslyknown as the Remount Depot , where horses were brokenin and trained prior to being shipped off to war.
Brunswick Community History Group Inc. is a community-based organisation interested in the history of our local area (Brunswick, Victoria, Australia).
Postal Address – PO Box 8, Brunswick VIC 3056
The American Ex-Servicemen’s Association is a social organization formed for the purpose of promoting the welfare of American Ex-Servicemen and women in Australia and to secure better relations between Americans and the Australian Community. We join together to enjoy comradery and remember those who have served our home country
The American Ex-Servicemen’s Association was started in March 1946 by a group of American Service personnel who emigrated to Australia.
Playing , listening and promoting music of the period 1450 – 1750.