Steiglitz Historical Society

PO Box 187 Yarraville Vic 3013 Australia
23B Bena Street Yarraville Victoria 3013 AU
Contact Name
Steiglitz Historical Society
Rating
Featured/Unfeatured
Claimed/Unclaimed
Capture.PNG
Yarraville VIC, Australia 0.09 km

The Cinema and Theatre Historical Society of Australia Inc. was formed in Melbourne, Australia in 1989

The Society’s aims are –

• To foster an interest in the architecture, history and heritage of cinemas and theatres in Australia.

• Record the history of cinemas and theatres in the form of books, magazines and audiovisual materials.

• To maintain an archive collection of cinema related documents, photos, etc.
• Provide public access to the collection for the purpose of cinema research and related matters.
• Seek to preserve theatre and cinema buildings and artefacts.
• Organise events to facilitate inspections for documenting and photographing of cinema venues.

• Conduct regular meetings for members.

296 Nicholson Street, Footscray, Victoria 3011 1.8 km

The Polish Museum and Archives in Australia was established in 1991 as an initiative of a number of people who saw the importance of collecting and preserving historical materials that reflected the individual and community life of Polish immigrants living in Australia.

footscray historical society.jpg
66 Napier Street, Footscray VIC 3011, Australia 2.5 km

The Footscray Historical Society Inc was formed at a public meeting in 1968. The Society actively records, preserves and researches the history of the suburbs within the City of Maribyrnong – Braybrook, Footscray, Kingsville, Maidstone, Maribyrnong, Seddon, West Footscray, Tottenham and Yarraville.

The purposes of the Footscray Historical Society are to advance Australian culture by recording and cataloguing the history of the Footscray district. And by collecting, preserving, and exhibiting items of historical significance to the Footscray district for the benefit of the community, advocating for the conservation, restoration and maintenance of buildings and sites of historical significance to the Footscray district for the benefit of the community and fostering public awareness of and interest in, the history of the Footscray district.

Contact Name
Steve Wilson, Secretary
logo_150-150.png
26 Champion Road, Newport VIC, Australia 4.08 km

The Newport Railway Museum hosts an extraordinary collection of steam, diesel and electric trains as well as a host of other railway exhibits. We are open to the general public every Saturday from 12 noon to 5pm. During school holidays it is open both Saturdays AND Sundays from 12 noon to 5pm. The Museum can also open outside of these hours by special appointment for group bookings. It is a popular destination for school excursions, car clubs, photography clubs, RSL and Probus clubs, just to name a few.

Postal Address – PO Box 748 Williamstown, VIC 3016

PO Box 514 Williamstown VIC 3016 Australia 4.59 km
Contact Name
Dr Allan Mawdsley
williamstown-mechanics-institute-historical-society-340px.jpg
5 Electra Street, Williamstown VIC, 3016 5.18 km

Established in 1956, the Williamstown Historical Society was established to highlight the diverse activities of the inhabitants of this historic seaport. The collection includes photographs, paintings, artefacts, models and sporting memorabilia.

The purpose of the Williamstown Historical Society and Museum is to preserve the history of Williamstown, Newport and Spotswood for future generations through the collection, discovery, identification, study, understanding, classification, documentation, preservation, exhibition and interpretation of objects and documents of historical significance relating to Williamstown, Newport and Spotswood.

The Museum is a source of knowledge, ideas, stories and memories. It is developed and managed as a community resource to inspire, educate and inform the community and visitors, and to contribute to the conservation of the history and heritage of the district.

The museum is housed in the two-storey heritage listed building at 5 Electra Street, built in 1860 as a Mechanics Institute and Library.

Please note that the Museum is currently closed due to major restoration of the building being undertaken by the Hobsons Bay City Council. We are expecting to hopefully reopen in 2021.

Contact Name
Kate Watson, Secretary
st john museum victoria.jpg
Corner of The Esplanade & Garden St Williamstown, Vic 3016 5.41 km

Discover the rich history of St John Ambulance in Victoria from the perspective of the many generous volunteers who are the backbone of the organisation. View displays from 1900 to today of First Aid equipment, uniforms, photographs and more. Visit the St John Museum, open to public across from Williamstown Beach.

Contact Name
Allan Mawdsley KStJ, Museum Secretary
PO Box 720 Sunshine Vic 3020 Australia 5.57 km
Contact Name
Dr Wally Zielinski
Port Melbourne Town Hall, 333 Bay Street, Port Melbourne Vic. 3207 5.82 km

Formed in 1993 to preserve the identity of this historic port town in the face of amalgamation. Large collection of documents and photos 1860 onwards. Genealogical database, monthly meetings with speakers, weekly work sessions, busy program of research projects, publishing, exhibitions.

Contact Name
Emma Teasdale, Secretary
logo hotham history project.jpg
c/o North Melbourne Library, 66 Errol Street, North Melbourne 3051 6.27 km

The Hotham History Project is a community group with an interest in the history of North and West Melbourne. North Melbourne was known as Hotham from the 1850s to 1887.

Activities Include: Researching, writing and publishing the history of North and West Melbourne, and organising history related activities such as walks and talks.

Visit Hotham History Project Bookstore for publications 

Contact Name
Mary Kehoe, Secretary
history council of victoria logo.jpg
239 A'Beckett Street Melbourne 6.65 km

The History Council of Victoria Incorporated (HCV) is the peak body for history in the Australian state of Victoria. Its vision is to connect Victorians with history and to inspire engagement with the past, their identity and the world today.

The HCV was formed as an advisory body in 2001 and incorporated in 2003. It comprises representatives from cultural institutions and heritage bodies; history teachers and curriculum advisors; academic and professional historians; and local, Indigenous, community and specialist history organisations.

The HCV delivers a number of accessible and well-received history-focused initiatives. These include:

    • History Roadshow
      This program delivers curriculum enrichment sessions for VCE history students and teachers in regional Victoria . The program is funded by the Strategic Partnership Program of the state government’s Department of Education and Training.
    • Making Public Histories
      This seminar series explores issues and approaches in making public histories. The program  is being offered jointly by HCV, Monash University and the Old Treasury Building, with sponsorship from the School of Philosophical, Historical and International Studies at Monash University and also from Monash University Publishing.
    • Annual Lecture
      Since 2004, the lecture has been delivered by eminent and respected authorities.
  • Projects such as Drought Stories (a spoken and visual history of recent drought in Victoria, recording the experience of drought-affected communities up to 2010) and One Place, Many Stories (a free online resource designed for teachers and middle to upper primary students as a way of engaging children in the history of Victoria).
  • Since 2015, the HCV has been pleased to sponsor the Years 9 and 10 category of the Historical Fiction Competition organised by the History Teachers’ Association of Victoria.

 

Contact Name
Alicia Cerreto (Executive Officer)
c/- RHSV - 239 A'Beckett Street ,Melbourne 3000 6.68 km
Image: 1928 Kazzie Picnic, a very symbolic, traditional and annual event for the Kastellorizian community.
250 Dorcas Street, South Melbourne VIC 3205, Australia 6.97 km

The Kastellorizian Association of Victoria was established in 1925 to give assistance to the fledgling Greek community of Melbourne who emigrated from the tiny island of Kastellorizo. A Brotherhood was established offering vital social, economic and cultural support and links to its members.

With recent amendments to our Constitution, our primary purpose now is to use our activities and functions as a vehicle to assist those in need in the Kastellorizian and wider Greek Community.

These activities aim to promote among Kastellorizians and their descendents in Victoria, the cultural heritage of Kastellorizo and the integration of its community into the multicultural society of the Australian community. This includes the organisation of social functions to foster continued social interaction between families and friends of Kastellorizo, the promotion of cultural activities by organising lectures, exhibitions, recitals, musical evenings etc and the promotion of academic and/or sporting excellence by awarding prizes and scholarships.

Image: 1928 Kazzie Picnic, a very symbolic, traditional and annual event for the Kastellorizian community.

Contact Name
Florence Livery, KAV Archivist
alhs.jpg
128 Queen Street, Altona VIC 7.16 km

The Altona Historical Society was formed in 1961, incorporated in 1996 and in 2000 amalgamated with the Laverton Historical Society to form the Altona-Laverton Historical Society Inc.

Its aim is to encourage the study of the history of Altona and Laverton area through the acquisition of relevant objects, photographs, information and archive material, making these available to members and the community for their research.

The society also hosts a number of events at the Altona homestead and in the park including ghost tours organised by Lantern Ghost Tours and visits by many clubs and schools. Information about these events can be found by visiting the Altona-Laverton Historical Society website.

Homested Opening Times

Tuesdays 11-2pm
Saturday 10-12pm
First Sunday of the month – 10.30-2.30pm

essendon historical society court house museum.jpg
Old Moonee Ponds Courthouse Museum,768 Mt Alexander Rd,Moonee Ponds 3039 7.2 km

Essendon Historical Society is a non-profit organisation committed to documenting, preserving and promoting the history of the City of Moonee Valley which consists of Airport West, Ascot Vale, Avondale Heights, Essendon, Essendon North, Keilor East, Kensington, Moonee Ponds, Niddrie, Strathmore, Strathmore Heights as well as parts of Keilor and Flemington.

The Society was formed in 1970 by a group of residents who recognised the importance of preserving all aspects of local history for the benefit of present and future generations.

Early meetings were held in private homes and, later, in the Moonee Ponds Town Hall. In 1981, after a long battle, the Society obtained the use of the old Moonee Ponds Courthouse as its headquarters.

Essendon Historical Society has retained the use of the 1890 building since that time. With somewhere to display and store items of local historical interest, the community was encouraged to assist in building up various collections of local significance.

*Image Source: Essendon Historical Society Collection

Contact Name
Mary Cahill
Capture.PNG

The ‘Friends of La Trobe’s Cottage’ was formed in 2009 under the umbrella of the C J La Trobe Society to support the National Trust in its efforts to maintain the Cottage, and, through fund-raising, improve the visitor experience at the Cottage through regular public opening times, enhanced interpretation, and improved interior and exterior appearance.

The Friends aim to promote education programs for schools, and foster a better understanding among the citizens of Melbourne and beyond of the important role La Trobe played in setting up our early university, hospital, library and other institutions, and in establishing the parks and gardens which are such a feature of our city today.

historical-photo.jpg
Flinders Street & Swanston Street, Melbourne VIC, Australia 7.56 km

The Anglican Historical Society was founded in 1955 to preserve and publicise the history of the Anglican Church of Australia, particularly in Victoria and Melbourne, and membership is open to all who are interested in the rich history of the Anglican Church in Melbourne.

Lectures and occasional excursions are held and, at the final meeting of the year, the Annual Sydney Smith Lecture is delivered.

The Society meets monthly from February-November (except July and August), at 6.30pm on the third Wednesday of the month, at Holy Trinity, East Melbourne. New members are welcome at any meeting.

For further information, please contact the Secretary, Roger Meyer, on 9818 4950.

Contact Name
Roger Meyer
188 Collins Street Melbourne 3000 7.57 km
Contact Name
Susan Westwood
69 Bourke Street, Melbourne 7.96 km
Contact Name
Lindsay Cox
CO.AS.IT.-logo-2018.gif
189 Faraday Street, Carlton 3053 7.96 km

The Italian Historical Society was established in 1980 to document, preserve and promote the history of Italian migration and settlement in Australia.

Through the ongoing generous support of the Italian community and the Society’s collecting, research and interpretation activities the Society has developed an extensive collection of significant material which includes: A wide range of images, oral histories, ephemera, documents and objects which relate to all aspects of the Italian migration and settlement story.

 

Contact Name
Elizabeth Triarico
Showing 1 - 20 of 32 results