Description: Yarrawonga – Mulwala Historical Society is involved in all forms of research and preservation of local history. Visitors, coach tours and school groups welcome at the Pioneer Museum. The Museum preserves local and rural history to educate, entertain and provide enjoyment to visitors of all ages.
Suburbs or towns: Yarrawonga; Mulwala, NSW; Burramine; Wilby; Telford; Bundalong; Bathumi; Boomahnoomoonah; Savernake, NSW; Tungamah
Display at local Show; local history collection of memorabilia; marking old school sites, history board, etc. Currently there is no building available for display.
The Katandra & Distict History Group aim to locate, catalogue, copy or acquire items of historic importance to the local area and to make them available to the community.
Description: Collection and preservation of local history, and changing displays at the Heritage Centre.
Suburbs or towns: Numurkah; Wunghnu; Katunga; Drumanure; Dunbulbalane; Baulkamaugh; Strathmerton
The present brick building was erected in 1866, replacing an earlier timber construction, and used as Council Chambers, Town Hall and Library/Reading Rooms. When the Library was relocated in 1970 many old books remained in the present building forming an interesting collection of Goldfields reading matter in the original setting. About this time the Chiltern Athenaeum Museum was formed by enthusiastic members of the public who operate the museum on a volunteer basis.
The El Dorado Museum collection is sited in the original schoolhouse number 246 which opened in 1870. The school rooms and out-sheds house a large variety of items such as social and domestic purpose items.
Gold and tin mining relics from the Cock’s El Dorado Gold and Tin Dredge and Cock’s Pioneer sluicing are on display as well as information on various mines in the area with some photographic history of the mining from 1850 until 1950. Agricultural implements can be viewed in and around the big shed.
A Blacksmith’s shop has a fireplace, bellows, anvil, hammers and other tools, horseshoes as well as Kelly Gang replica forged armour. There are also woodworkers hand tools, saws, and mining implements. Genealogy is available from school records, cemetery records World War One records and some photos, lodge and church records, and mining records. The museum has war memorabilia ranging from helmets and medals to souvenirs and bayonets.
Children’s treasure hunt activities are available with some hands on items to try out as well. They can have a go at gold panning and keep any gold that they discover.
Benalla & District Historical Society Inc is active in both its aspects of operating a Museum specializing in costume, Kelly and local history, and the Research Rooms’ archival The Benalla Costume and Kelly Museum was founded in 1967 and is accredited through the Museum Accreditation Program (Vic). It is the only public costume museum of its kind in Victoria. It is managed entirely by volunteer members of Benalla Historical Society Inc. and is a splendid example of how the skills of an enthusiastic and talented group can produce excellence.The museum specializes in costumes and local history, including the Ned Kelly Story.
Postal Address – PO Box 201, Benalla VIC 3671
Nathalia and District Historical Society Inc consists of several buildings and a large collection of outdoor machinery, books, newspapers, photos, minutes books, ledgers, some school registers, and other memorabilia relevant to the history and development of Nathalia and District.
The Robert O’Hara Burke Memorial Museum is operated b y the Indigo Shire Council. An Athenaeum since 1857, original building, a museum since 1863. “Street of Shops” added in 1979.
The Collection held by the Yackandandah and District Historical Society is a large and comprehensive collection of the many stories of this district, held in photographs, images, objects, registers, documents, letters, textiles, digital forms and research material.
Description: Open museum, research, collection , publications, public programs.
Suburbs or towns: Yackandandah; Allans Flat; Staghorn Flat; Osbornes Flat