Benalla & District Historical Society Inc is active in both its aspects of operating a Museum specializing in costume, Kelly and local history, and the Research Rooms’ archival The Benalla Costume and Kelly Museum was founded in 1967 and is accredited through the Museum Accreditation Program (Vic). It is the only public costume museum of its kind in Victoria. It is managed entirely by volunteer members of Benalla Historical Society Inc. and is a splendid example of how the skills of an enthusiastic and talented group can produce excellence.The museum specializes in costumes and local history, including the Ned Kelly Story.
Postal Address – PO Box 201, Benalla VIC 3671
Collection of locally significant artefacts & records, publication of community recollections and assistance with research.
Historical Exhibitions & publication of history book and family history.
The Jamieson and District Historical Society Inc. formed in 1991 have their headquarters and museum in the Old Jamieson Courthouse. Manned and run by local volunteers who work very hard to preserve the history of Jamieson and the Upper Goulburn Region, which covers the area from Howqua through to Matlock and beyond.
Suburbs or towns Darlingford; Enochs Point; Howqua; Jamieson; Kevington; Ten Mile; Gaffneys Creek; A1 Mine Settlement; Woods Point; Matlock
The El Dorado Museum collection is sited in the original schoolhouse number 246 which opened in 1870. The school rooms and out-sheds house a large variety of items such as social and domestic purpose items.
Gold and tin mining relics from the Cock’s El Dorado Gold and Tin Dredge and Cock’s Pioneer sluicing are on display as well as information on various mines in the area with some photographic history of the mining from 1850 until 1950. Agricultural implements can be viewed in and around the big shed.
A Blacksmith’s shop has a fireplace, bellows, anvil, hammers and other tools, horseshoes as well as Kelly Gang replica forged armour. There are also woodworkers hand tools, saws, and mining implements. Genealogy is available from school records, cemetery records World War One records and some photos, lodge and church records, and mining records. The museum has war memorabilia ranging from helmets and medals to souvenirs and bayonets.
Children’s treasure hunt activities are available with some hands on items to try out as well. They can have a go at gold panning and keep any gold that they discover.
Community Hall – Communities of Fawcett and Konriella
Preservation of artefacts and historical data and family research pertaining to local area, plus genealogical research facilities. Manning of Museum and Genealogical Research with Euroa.
The Robert O’Hara Burke Memorial Museum is operated b y the Indigo Shire Council. An Athenaeum since 1857, original building, a museum since 1863. “Street of Shops” added in 1979.
The Bright & District Historical Society has a research collection available at their Bright Railway Station museum. Local tours and special events.
Postal Address – PO Box 265, Bright, VIC 3741
Alexandra Historical Society was established in 1997 to document and preserve local heritage, and incorporated in 2001. Originally named Murrindindi Historic Register, the name was changed in 2010 to more accurately reflect the society’s objectives.
Collecting and storing archives.
Maintenance of historic “Dove Cottage” at 6 Paynes Ave Alexandra
Display at local Show; local history collection of memorabilia; marking old school sites, history board, etc. Currently there is no building available for display.
Maintenance and display of historical items.
The Collection held by the Yackandandah and District Historical Society is a large and comprehensive collection of the many stories of this district, held in photographs, images, objects, registers, documents, letters, textiles, digital forms and research material.
Description: Open museum, research, collection , publications, public programs.
Suburbs or towns: Yackandandah; Allans Flat; Staghorn Flat; Osbornes Flat
The present brick building was erected in 1866, replacing an earlier timber construction, and used as Council Chambers, Town Hall and Library/Reading Rooms. When the Library was relocated in 1970 many old books remained in the present building forming an interesting collection of Goldfields reading matter in the original setting. About this time the Chiltern Athenaeum Museum was formed by enthusiastic members of the public who operate the museum on a volunteer basis.
The Kiewa Valley Historical Society began in 1965 when a group of like-minded people from all over the Kiewa Valley met with the idea of documenting and preserving the history of the valley.
As a result , the Kiewa Valley Historical Society Inc, (K.V.H.S) was formed and thus significant, both written and artefacts, were collected and saved for future generations.
Send us mail at P.O. Box 184 Mt Beauty VIC 3699