Research of over 1000 ww1, boer war soldiers and Nursesof the Shire of Eltham ( & Nillumbik), Rememberance Day& Anzac Day Services . Organising landscape works & surgestions for Master Plan.
The Andrew Ross Museum was officially opened in March 1993 and through the hard work and dedication of its volunteers is now fully accredited with Museums Australia.
The Museum’s namesake, Andrew Ross, was the first schoolmaster in the district as well as a keen recorder of contemporary life and he left a remarkable written legacy to the Kangaroo Ground community. Our exhibitions explore the life and times of Andrew Ross and also Kangaroo Ground, the land and its people from pre-European time to the present.
We maintain collections that include the old schoolhouse building that the museum is house in, artefacts of local significance, a photographic collection and an extensive archive of documents relating to the district. Publications relating to local history are also available.
The Museum is open Sundays from 2-4pm and Thursdays 10am-12pm during school term or by private appointment. There is no admission fee although donations are gratefully received.
The Gisborne & Mount Macedon Districts Historical Society’s collection covers the localities of Cabbage Tree; Couangalt; South Gisborne; Gisborne; New Gisborne; Bullengarook; Macedon; Mount Macedon; Barringo; Cherokee; Hesket; Kerrie; & Riddells Creek.
A dedicated group of volunteer members of the Historical Society meet regulary to assist with the accessioning, conservation, filing and indexing of the collection, to assist visitors to the Court House and to attend to research enquiries received by phone, mail or email. A research fee of $25.00 per surname or topic applies.
The beautifully restored, 1858 Gisborne Court House, home of Gisborne and Mount Macedon Districts Historical Society is open to the public each Wednesday from 10am to 4pm, when volunteers are in attendance to assist with family and local history research enquiries. The Family and Local History Resource Centre at the Court House may be opened at other times by appointment.
Collection and conservation of local and family history documents, photos, and maps.
The society operates the Historical Research Centre at the 1860 police residence at 728 Main Road, Eltham. Open by appointment.
Please Note: The Preston Historical Society no longer operates. The resources are now held by Darebin Libraries. Contact 1300 655 355
The Preston Historical Society was established in 1965 and held local history, object and photographic collections.
Research, record and promote the history and heritage of the Keilor region whilst collecting, preserving, enhancing and enjoying its artefacts and memorabilia. Exhibitions, publications and a digital project is part of our agenda.
We are a varied group of people with a shared interest in understanding and preserving the history of Heidelberg and surrounding suburbs. This includes helping to provide a place for the accumulation of objects and documents that add to the district’s story. We want people to be able to find historic artefacts and information in the future. We want to make sure that these materials are not lost.
Our expertise in history varies greatly. Many (perhaps most) of us have a general interest and have learnt as we went along. Some have skills gained from previous work and study. Others are serious students of history, including post graduate students. Everyone is welcome and everyone’s contribution is appreciated.
We need members to assist in a wide range of ways. Visit our website to see how you can get involved.
The Woodend and District Heritage Society operates a local and family history resource centre. The collection is fully indexed and relates to the Old Shire of Newham & Woodend, Ashbourne, Hesket, early Rochford, part Macedon, part Carlsruhe.
Built in 1870, the court house in Forest St was the second court building in Woodend.
It was used for criminal cases until 1964 and for coroner’s court hearings until the 1970s. Now it’s home to the Woodend & District Heritage Society.
You can find us at Woodend’s old court house every Wednesday, from February to November (10am-12.30pm and 1.30pm-4pm).
Essendon Historical Society is a non-profit organisation committed to documenting, preserving and promoting the history of the City of Moonee Valley which consists of Airport West, Ascot Vale, Avondale Heights, Essendon, Essendon North, Keilor East, Kensington, Moonee Ponds, Niddrie, Strathmore, Strathmore Heights as well as parts of Keilor and Flemington.
The Society was formed in 1970 by a group of residents who recognised the importance of preserving all aspects of local history for the benefit of present and future generations.
Early meetings were held in private homes and, later, in the Moonee Ponds Town Hall. In 1981, after a long battle, the Society obtained the use of the old Moonee Ponds Courthouse as its headquarters.
Essendon Historical Society has retained the use of the 1890 building since that time. With somewhere to display and store items of local historical interest, the community was encouraged to assist in building up various collections of local significance.
*Image Source: Essendon Historical Society Collection
Monthly meetings open to everybody, quarterly magazine for members, research and publication of books, pro-active in the preservation of historical materials or places.
Reunite migrants who arrived in Australia from 1947 to 1971.